Higby on Deathscreen killer indication changes

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by MasonSTL, Mar 11, 2014.

1. KnightCole

^^Yes sir!
    • Up x 3
  2. smokemaker

A crutch once used can not be removed, for deathcam cripples the gamers brains and no longer allows them to think for themselves.

its bad....
    very bad
    as in not good.
    • Up x 6
  3. MasonSTL

A new player wouldn't know what information to look for.... **** him right?!
  4. LordMondando

If it doesn't give you any new information its redundant.

If it gives you new information then it potentially harms a series of areas of game play relying on being undected.

Why the hell are they doing this change, tis redundant or harms gameplay.
    • Up x 3
  5. Thardus

Well... most people who know what they're doing won't fail to see it, and the ones that won't notice it right away, and will benefit from the information on the death screen, are those still learning the game, who won't be able to capitalize on the information given.

So, in other words, I don't see what your complain is, unless your complaint is that you think this game should be as difficult as possible for new players.
  6. Winfield

I should've edited my post faster, sorry. I do think that showing the indicator on the map in deathscreen gives too much information.
    The hit indicator before you die SHOULD be the indicator everyone should use to know where they got hit from.
    • Up x 2
  7. KnightCole

Learn through trial and error. Improve ur own situational awareness. Dont need the game doing all the thinking for you lol. All of us were new at some point. We all had to learn from our mistakes, learn the box of this game and its nuances. Those of us that chose to do so are now decent players, some great...those that thought we needed a kill cam in order to crutch us along...or needed more little......bs aids from the game and didnt decide to L2P...welll we are still stuck forumside asking for more crutches.
    • Up x 4
  8. Thardus

I won't argue for a moment that this addition isn't pointless and redundant (unless you happened to blink right as you died).

I'm just getting fed up by the naysayers who seem to think that this is in any way crippling their ability to flank or sneak around.
    • Up x 2
  9. Winfield

I can find this being really frustrating for infiltrators behind enemy lines, whether it be open ground or confined spaces and I don't even play infil.

You saying that this ISN'T crippling for sneaky gameplay is just a blatant lie.
    • Up x 2
  10. HadesR

While I do agree with the tone behind your post I cannot help but smile as they add this in the same patch they buff one of the biggest farm vehicles in the game. I'm sure the new player experience is going to be highly improved :p
  11. NC_agent00kevin

This really isnt going to change a lot. At least, not for me. I dont camp a 'good spot' so I dont care that a kill cam is going to 'show my position'. Im not going to be there by the time dude respawns or is ressed anyway. More often than not, I know where I got killed from too, and will probably be flying up to that sniper's position if he hit me with the first shot anyway. (I dont bother to go kill the ones that miss 8 times first; they arent much of a threat)

This might actually cut down on some hacusations too - or make them more accurate. Now youll know if someone that killed you with a carbine was 400m away and had perfect aim and no CoF :)
  12. maxkeiser

Still don't see any need for this at all. It just smacks of 'consolisation' - making the game easier for those with joypads or something.

Please don't add this.
    • Up x 3
  13. Aractain

So the people with no situation awareness armed with the information they had before this change are now able to DOMINATE YOU with their superior skill. I don't understand what your afraid of. If they are a good player they will already know all there is to know, they wont even look at it as its meaningless to them. If they are bad who cares if they know which of the 26 spotted enemies killed them, its not like that's suddenly going to make them better at aiming.

Think of it like this, each player now has a friend looking out for them, every time they die over voice comms they are told, you died from that guy there. Some people have that already, now everyone does. Maybe you think they didn't deserve a friend?
    • Up x 1
  14. MasonSTL

Wouldn't a decoy grenade be perfect for that situation? BAM! now the decoy grenade is useful!
  15. Thardus

Well, it's not, because there's no new information given. Simple as that. It can't be crippling if they're not actually changing anything.
  16. HadesR

The line stop's at the edge of the mini map .. So according to Higby it has a rough range of about 100m ..

17. MasonSTL

Yeah lets just keep them out of the game as the player base is starting to ask for another server merge... Players are the meat and potatoes of the game, if we can't get more, fresh meat and potatoes we might as well prepare for the merge to a single server aptly named Ethiopoa.
  18. Vaphell

It's all smoke and mirrors because in this setup the cone you see doesn't matter, the jitter does.
    Why? Because the initial state of the cone is 'centered on the killer' and then the offset is introduced to obfuscate. That means that the cone is nothing more than a decoration and the killer has to be located within the +/-JITTER arc centered on his exact position.
    If the jitter is a pathetic +/-5 deg you have a thin 10deg stripe to worry about, at 100m it would be +/-9m.
  19. NC_agent00kevin

Did you know you can expand your minimap waaaaaaay out by pressing [ and ] ?
  20. Dinapuff

The next quote is from the reddit thread.

""Yes, this is the #1 self-reported gameplay reason why players quit our game currently, dying "randomly". A unsettlingly large number of new players who quit cite that as the reason they've quit playing.""

So the problem they are trying to address is "players dying randomly and then leaving the game as a result.

A sniper or someone flanking you is not Random. I would take a gander to say that the primary reason the word RANDOMLY is mentioned is precisely because it happens:
    1) without warning or indication
    2) sudden and unexpected.
    Quickly followed by the immediate death of the player in question.

This means. Liberators. Tanks. ESF's. Infiltrators or Light assaults with shotguns or smg's. Perhaps even a MAX unit stomping around the corner to kill this fledgeling player would be considered "random" to him or her. A sniper or someone doing a flank most likely barely register on the annoyance radar over these other things and a killcam is not going to help with those kind of "random" deaths. Those deaths are a result of inexperience, and knowledge about these crafts.

I support making the death screen more informative. There should be tips on the death screen on how to counter play the weapon or vehicle in question. Not a bloody killcam.
    • Up x 7