Higby on Deathscreen killer indication changes

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by MasonSTL, Mar 11, 2014.

1. a4555in

The death cam shows you ABSOLUTELY THE SAME information as the red hit markers. All I am saying is the resources used to make this could have been better used to fix some glaring bugs the game has right now.
    • Up x 3
  2. DxAdder

Once again SOE wastes there limited budget and development time on a feature the MAJORITY of the player base could care less about. (But then again I think this was done for the PS4 crowd)
    • Up x 2
  3. Unclematos7

"People upvote stuff, it gets ignored. People downvote sh*t, it gets put in."-Buzzcutpsycho
    • Up x 4
  4. Giggily

It wouldn't show it on the map, requiring at least a basic level of spatial awareness.
  5. Flashtirade

They say this is to prevent new people from "dying randomly," which is already an unintentionally integral part of the game. But this doesn't help solve that, it only punishes people for killing people "randomly" aka getting the jump on them. If I shotgun someone in the back, they're already dead, the only thing a killcam would do is expose me after the deed. That's not prevention, that's rewarding the player for being killed. It's stupid.

As someone who used to play CoD a long time ago, as soon as I developed enough situational awareness I skipped over the killcams (yes that's an option) and respawned. I've watched a lot of other people play CoD and they too skipped over their killcams because they, like me, already knew how they died and how to approach the situation next time because they've been playing the game for so long. And Battlefield's is so much worse than CoD's.

There is no easy way to prevent players from dying randomly in a game where killing people is one of the key aspects of the game, save for preventing them from dying at all which contradicts the point of the game. That being said, the deathscreen should be giving more information about how the players died without showing where the player who killed them is. It's not even that difficult.

Currently the death screen shows you a model of who killed you, said player's health and shield bars, the name and a picture of what weapon they used, and flavor text of the weapon. The only useful information here is the gun picture and the bars, and it's not much to work with.

It could be something like this (with pictures and models added):
    Killed by [player name, the model would show them what class/vehicle applies]
    Using [weapon]
    From [direction]
    And then in all of the dead space include some actual useful text on how they died and how to avoid that situation again.
    [Killed by LA with shotgun from side/back] "Light assaults use their superior maneuverability to gain the advantage on their opponents, especially in close quarters. Be careful in areas with lots of walls and buildings, and listen for their jump jets."
    [Killed by infil with SMG from side/back] "Infiltrators make distinct noises when cloaking and decloaking. Use them to find them before they find you."
    [Killed by HA with LMG from front] "Heavy assaults specialize in dealing and tanking damage. Do not engage them head-on, instead flank them and aim for their heads to ensure that the odds are in your favor."
    • Up x 4
  6. MarkAntony

Not good enough. This is a ridiculous nerf to anyone whose playstyle depends on superior positioning. This should never get on live. not even with a 15 degree cone. That is still way too accurate.
    • Up x 4
  7. MostlyClueless

Yeah I guess so, but it isn't that big a deal as people are making it out to be.
  8. GaBeRock

I don't agree with the first portion of your statement, but I absolutely agree with the "add advice in empty space" suggestion. You should make a separate post for that.
  9. PurpleOtter

WTF!!!!

The Death Screen revamp is being universally LOATHED-REVILED-HATED-GDIF-DOWNVOTED-REJECTED-NEGATIVE FEEDBACK-DO NOT WANT-NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! on every forum that caters to Planetside on the internet. Yet Higby continues to push it, with slight tweaks, to try and get "Buy-in". Either he has his ego tied up in this, or someone higher in the food chain at Sony told him to make the game more "Noob Friendly". Regardless, we are going have this **** shoved down our throats...

Great job SOE!
    • Up x 6
  10. LT_Latency

People are making way to big a deal about this.

The same thing happens when you are getting shot. It shows you the general dirction of your enemy using the red icons every time you take damage. The only thing this lets you do is see one shot kill weapons the same way because you die instantly to them you don't have time to see the damage icons.
    • Up x 1
  11. PurpleOtter

I wonder if they are pushing this crap because they want to implement it for the PS4 kiddies and don't want to have to manage two separate builds? (PS4 +PC)..
    • Up x 4
  12. LT_Latency

How does this matter. The hit markers do the same thing. What is the big difference??

This just helps players who die in a split second to certain weapons have a better understanding how it happened.
  13. PurpleOtter

Hit markers are one thing, they are real time and still require the player to learn situational awareness. The current death screen already tells you what killed you, without dumbing it down.
  14. Hosp

What about the greifing that will result?

If my squad is trying to flank, and people are told to hold fire, some random decides to follow us, crest a hill or trench and decides to down an enemy, now that enemy has a location to investigate potentially revealing our flank. That will result in me TKing that idgit if he begins shooting.

Now that idgit is gonna get mad and potentially TK back and/or report us for, potentially repeatedly, killing him. Bad Idea IMO.
    • Up x 1
  15. LT_Latency

It sill the same thing, You died from over here. Same thing as you were getting shot from over here before you died.
  16. lazylink

This change makes playing a sniper even more pointless. Not only are you contributing little to the fight and earning fewer certs than an engineer or medic but now you have to literally relocate after every kill unless you are sniping like an idiot from inside the center of your zerg. Relocating costs you certs, giving you a further incentive to play the engineer or medic and get farmed by the REAL killers of newbies who are rank 100 MAX users, liberators, and vehicles.
  17. BoomBoom4You

I like the change, I hope they take it one step further and REMOVE IT ALTOGETHER!! But knowing that won't happen, I like the change. It's a compromise, and I understand where they're coming from. If they really think this change will benefit new players and contribute to the longevity of the game, well, then I'm ok with it.

I do have my doubts though...I hate killcams and love PS2 because it requires more skill than those types of games.
  18. axiom537

A line going directly to the red dorito that killed you or a 15 degree cone in the general direction is not the same as a hit marker you are receiving.
  19. MostlyClueless

Hate to break it to you, but he can give away your position by firing at the enemy right now and he doesn't even need to kill anybody to do it. This is a silly concern.
  20. PurpleOtter

Look at it like this, Current system; hitmarkers, then death screen. Now which way was I facing? Which direction was the incoming fire from? What was I doing to attract enemy fire? etc. etc.

Proposed update: Die, death screen shows map (even if only an arc displayed on map). No thought required, information is spoon fed. It would display the data as a graphic instead of a real time visceral experience..That is the issue!
    • Up x 2