Higby on Deathscreen killer indication changes

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by MasonSTL, Mar 11, 2014.

1. MasonSTL

This is posted on the Test: Discussion forum but I wanted to bring it here before people got their pantaloons even more in a bundle.

This was on reddit

Basically he says they are changing it from what it is on the test server now, to this:
    • If you get killed and the killer wasn't spotted you will see a 15° cone in the general direction of the killer
    • If the killer was spotted a line will be drawn to his position
    NOTE: Being 'spotted' is only applied to 'Q' spotting or the deployable motion sensor.

In short the exact position will only be show upon death if killers position is already known.

To me, as I have mentioned a few times before (sorry for sounding like a broken record), this iteration sounds like a good change as it doesn't show seasoned players what they don't already know after being shot.
    • Up x 9
  2. Moisture

A indirect LA nerf, A definite Infil nerf.
    MY problem isnt this being a big deal in its self. My problem is how lots of little nerfs and annoyances add up.
    • Up x 11
  3. wave

I hate it
    Today I was 50 feet behind the enemy lines with my Infiltrator using my crossbow to shoot them all in the head one at a time. Now they will know where I am. WHAT IS THE POINT IN BEING SNEAKY????
    • Up x 23
  4. FaLI3N

Still bs, when I do snipe it is at close range from a concealed position and when you are behind enemy lines it will still be very obvious when you are being killed from behind even with a 15° cone. All it will take is a single kill and then you will need to move making you show up on every single spammed radar device nearby and even then there will still be people hunting you down.

Once again, silencers are meant to be used at close ranges as they reduce projectile velocity so what exactly is the difference between an exact point and a 15° cone at those sorts of ranges. This is an incredibly stupid design decision that they seem intent on pushing through with.. guess its time to just shove a compensator on everything.
    • Up x 3
  5. Winfield

Still a bad design idea, enough of this CoD crap.

Players SHOULD NOT BE REWARDED FOR DYING. GET A GRIP SOE.
    • Up x 43
  6. Birkin

This really does sound like an awful change. With tracers, sounds and hit indicators already It seems unnecessary. And seriously, we are not only showing the direction of the killer but drawing a line to their exact position - WTF?
    • Up x 8
  7. RHINO_Mk.II

The sad part is, you'll kill a dude, he'll see where you are, his medic buddy will revive him 2 seconds after he goes down, and now suddenly you are punished for having killed him in the first place, because now he and everyone he's in communication with knows exactly where you are, while he is alive and well.
    • Up x 27
  8. DJPenguin

This is something that should be touched down on in the tutorial. Put the player in a large outdoors area. Put an infiltrator miles away, a liberator near the sky ceiling etc and tell the player that it's possible to be killed from such extreme distances and then proceed to tell the player the dozen different ways to spot enemies and recognize where shots are being fired from. Helping the new minority at the expense of the seasoned majority isn't good business for your long time paying players. And since you're already admitting to it not being a "silver bullet" is it really worth implementing something so controversial?
    • Up x 5
  9. Chewy102

You can still be sneaky, just can't be careless about it and have to not get spotted.

Not spotted and all they see is a 15° cone on the mini map. You can't be anywhere in that cone and doesn't tell anything of range. Higby said that there is a jitter to the cone making it so that the killer isn't in the center of the cone either. Depending on how big that jitter is, you could be on the edge or the center at random. Snipe and they shouldn't get anything more than the hit markers you still get on death.

Spotted, Q or detector only, and you have a line to your ***. That means you have to already been spotted, been spotted no longer than 5-10 seconds ago, and not being spotted by a detector (crouching stops this 100% moving or not). You are already on the mini map for everyone to see and it wouldn't be hard to find you on the main map anyway from being spotted.

Im not in love with this either. But I can see how SOE thinks it will help and I already know how to counter it by just doing what I would be doing anyway. Avoid detectors (sound, movement, mini map), stay out of sight, break LOS in case of spotting, and not staying in the same spot for long. Any sneaky LA or cloaker will do that by instinct. SMG or shotgun folks would have a problem but they are in the enemy's faces and can't not be known to the enemy. Stalkers are even going to be fine as well, they are going to be well within CQC and can't avoid the enemy knowing about them anyway once they attack. A stalker being cloaked has nothing to fear from this change in my opinion as they are best at not being seen or found until they want to be.

My first thought on this was. WTF are they thinking?! Now that I read Higby's details, it isn't that bad. I wish it was more of a 25°-30° cone on the mini map for unspotted killers though. 15° doesn't leave much to work with unless you're using a long gun.
    • Up x 3
  10. DJPenguin

Easier said than done. As a LA I can only be as sneaky as the terrain lets me. And the "cone" even with it's 15 degree deviation or whatever the number ends up being is just as effective as pin pointing my exact location if it so much as tells the victim that the shots came from the building I'm currently up on the roof of.
    • Up x 1
  11. ZephyrBurst

That's actually a really good change to it. I'm down with that. The line still leaves things very vague a lot of times, so w/e. The killer has probably moved by then anyway.
  12. Takoita

Still big 'NOPE!' from me. It's a bad idea that should not make it to live in any way, shape or form.

Why do they insist on breaking what works? Take directional damage and 'low-on-health' indicators, for example: they already take up way too much place on the parts of the screen I could be seeing things through and should be reverted to their previous state if anything.
    • Up x 12
  13. Paperlamp

Still bad, I really don't see how any change is necessary here.

I feel it's a bit excessive how much radar and auto-spotting stuff there is already.
    • Up x 9
  14. DeadliestMoon

No it not. Smart players will know to reposition.
    • Up x 3
  15. Villanuk

Well why do we need it, that's the whole point for me.? We don't want Kll cam, so why are YOU pushing onwards with something the players do not want ( apart from a few )

Is SOE trying to make the game easier for ******* who cant aim, cant play and now they cant spot a player when killed. This really is a joke and offers nothing of value to hardened player. The whole point of a Infil is hide and use there skill to keep hidden, WAS THAT THE POINT OF THE NEW CLOAK !!. SO whats the point of having a new cloak when your now being spotted, its just nothing short of stupid.. STUPID !!

Oh wait, or was it to get people to buy the crossbows just for the new cloak and then BINGO, the SOE nerf comes to play.

SOE, you really know how to wreck a game and make a few quid in the process.

This game may as well be called COD in the future.

Im getting tired of all these nerfs, the constant dumbing down of the game, I really believe its time to close my membership and wait for star citizen.
    • Up x 5
  16. ironeddie

Don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand if we've got to have it this is probably the best way. But I play stalker and I can think of several instances where this new system would just get me killed. Plus mostly I know where my killer was anyway.

But then I know I'll also make use of this to help hunt players down. So should I really complain about something that might be a useful tool?
  17. Villanuk

Aimbots would be useful, do you want them added to the game? :)
    • Up x 7
  18. Tuco

*installs stainless steel mod for Medieval 2 Total War*
  19. Decian

Imagine how much time they are putting in to code all this crap when there are several other BLATANT bugs and flaws with the game that could be being fixed.
    • Up x 12
  20. Zigrum

Just NO. We don't need this in the game. Please don't dumb this game down any more than they have already.
    • Up x 15