Higby on Deathscreen killer indication changes

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by MasonSTL, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Tuco

kill cam meaningless without an auto-tea bag emote (purchasable for 1,500 certs. 2,500 certs for the Miley Cyrus version)
    • Up x 8
  2. NovaAustralis

^ This.
    True dat.
    Just made me sadder... :(
    • Up x 11
  3. AdmiralArcher

• Up x 9
  4. Halon

Redundant damage indicators are redundant.

If you missed the HUD indicator you shouldn't get a second chance death screen indicator even if it is a "rough" estimate.
    • Up x 6
  5. Maljas23

Still a terrible idea....
    • Up x 6
  6. MasonSTL

Right, because as it is now there is NO WAY someone can figure out your general position after getting killed.... get real. If you think that this will give you more info about your whereabouts than what a good player can already figure out on live servers than you need to brush up on your situational awareness.
    Being in that close quarters, your victim has a good idea of were you are... because you are using a CQC loadout you are going to be close to his dead body. Remember this is last position when you get the kill it doesn't follow you.
    Draws a line when someone already saw them and pressed "Q".... I guess they weren't that sneaky in the first place so this really can't make them worse off.
    Well we do need this as new players quit right away as they don't know where the enemy could be coming from at all in these big maps, and I 100% think that this will help and should be considered.

I really don't think having this will have any noticeable change for the current battle hardened players at all. As it is now I can tell you where a shot came from within the same range that the map on the death screen shows, just from getting hit. And I can tell others that position over proxi or yell to other players.

Snipping on live servers now, after the first kill that player knows where I am. If he doesn't come after me it is mostly because he is too lazy and thinks someone else will take care of it, or he tries to counter snipe.

I think these changes that are in the OP are good and that many of the people against it are seriously over reacting by thinking people that have played this game longer than the player that this change is directed towards can't already tell where their MLG sniping positions are.

TL;DR this change won't actually tell ongoing players more than we already know, it just tells us in a different way.

EDIT: On another note, why is showing you last position that awful? Isn't on of the main rule of thumb of any FPS to keep moving? So why is the only real complaint about this change "well now I can't sit in one place and camp anymore, regardless of it being a bad tactic in the first place!" Camping is a bad tactic, you could say it's a play style, but it still puts you in a disadvantage.
  7. FaLI3N

My victim very rarely has any idea where I was, and if he does then I relocate. I don't use cqc loadouts, I use silenced bolt-action or Phaseshift. If I get a good position I rarely have to move, only when I snipe a particularly aware player.

This will force me to move after every kill which when inside a tower that an enemy is camping for example is close to a death sentence because all they have to do is swap to infil and spam a few darts. That stops you from moving which in turn stops you from being able to kill if these changes go through and I don't want to risk getting through the enemy to get to a great spot only to have to sit their with my finger up my **** after just one kill.

EDIT: yes, I do keep moving. The thing is the "sniper" class is called the infiltrator. So I will continue to move until I have successfully infiltrated into the enemy base in which case I no longer have many reasons to move. I could run around hacking a few terminals and broadcasting my position to everyone or I could sit still to avoid radar and remove every other sniper/medic/AV mana from the enemy team. I believe the second is much more beneficial to my faction as a silly terminal hack can be fixed easily by the one class that almost everyone pulls vehicles with.
  8. Meliorist

It's better but still not great. It should not show the killers position at all if he was not spotted.

How would this work for snipers anyway? Shooting reveals you for a moment, so every snipe kill will report your position?
    • Up x 1
  9. NinjaTurtle

Yay rewarding dumb players with no awareness, just what I always wanted
    • Up x 4
  10. Hathunter

How about we come to a compromise?

Character up to a certain battlerank now have the after-death position showing (aka. "deathcam"), in order to reduce the flood of information new players experience. After all, Planetside 2 can be a very confusing game at first. Combine this with a new, quality tutorial for minimizing player frustration during those first baby steps.

After they reach a certain level (BR 20, maybe?) the extra help stops, as the players are no longer nearly as confused about the comings and goings of the game and can properly deal with the new challenge. Naturally, this would be explained in the tutorial.

Pros:
    1. Newbies have less frustrating experience and will be able to manage all the stuff to learn easier. They are more likely to remain with Planetside.
    2. Game remains as challenging as before. Tactics and playstyles won't be hurt all that much, as new players aren't generally using the chat functions as much as, say, BR 55 outfit member.

As somebody who's tried convincing a friend to take up the game, this would go a long way, while keeping the game and all the tactics, flanking all the things we love about Planetside, Intact and enjoyable.
    • Up x 2
  11. Catch23

PS2 Players do not want this and no COD Players are coming to this game because of this.
    • Up x 2
  12. Tuco

What's so confusing about it?
    • Up x 1
  13. Aractain

"Oh noes! My uber super sneaky position is given away to n00b BR1 players! MY K/D!!!"

You were spotted..... Not so sneaky brah.

"Rewarding players for dieing!"

More like not punishing players for lag and weird situations where you never got the damage indicators.

This provides a nice reliable way to understand how you died, something the game needs if its going to grow the player base.
    • Up x 2
  14. FaLI3N

This would be a change I couldn't be up in arms over. Would still be really annoying if it got you killed but I can remember what it is like to first start off in this game. I still think a few basic tooltips in the death screen could fix this without the cheese though.
    • Up x 1
  15. Regpuppy

I think the issue we're running into with what Higby is saying is that they're mistaking this for something that'd help the extremely harsh learning curve. I just spent a half hour in a pug platoon listening to a newbie curse and shout because he's being overloaded with information that the tutorial in no way helped to provide.

Even an exact position of an attacker does nothing to solve any of the problems he was experiencing. It wasn't exactly where the killers were that were bothering him. It's that he was dying often and so many things were coming at him he was finding trouble adapting.
    • Up x 2
  16. Kunavi

Called this change and told you to wait ;P In pretty much 2 discussions about this. I am soooo cool right? JK, on a serious note I would still prefer that if the shooter was not perceived then there should be no direction feed but as I had said then, it will probably do more good than bad. I for one, would like to be able to know that the shot that got me, was technically possible. If you know what I mean. In any other case though where the shooter was perceived then sure they should definitely show.
  17. sindz

Still bad and its adds to another casualness factor that will slowly turn this into COD
    • Up x 5
  18. Winfield

Guys, I translated this:

This gives players with no situational awareness whatsoever a crutch to use in their oh-so-skilled ventures of Auraxis.

End translation.

Why don't we add aim-assist while we're at it, it would help level the playing field, giving people with poor aim a much needed assistance. We wouldn't want anyone to quit the game because they lost a fight because their aim was poor afterall!

We could also go for giving a grace period for bullets; When you get hit by a player, the first 3-4 bullets deal no damage but give you the damage indicator, this way people with poor situational awareness can promptly return fire after being warned.
    We wouldn't want anyone to quit the game after all if they got flanked and killed.
    • Up x 4
  19. Thardus

I don't see what the issue is. Even as you die, you still are told what direction the shot is coming from. This adds no new information, simply an easier way to see information you're already given.
  20. Winfield

If you failed to see that information as you died you don't deserve to see it after.
    • Up x 2