Higby on Deathscreen killer indication changes

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by MasonSTL, Mar 11, 2014.

1. HadesR

Can that be done with the Death screen mini map though ? What you can do with the main HUD mini map doesn't matter if the Death screen one is a static screen shot map ..
    • Up x 1
  2. Nayrx

WHAT is the point of this??
    If it shows you where they are if you already see them why bother?
    And it doesn't show them if you haven't ? is that right?

The current system is adequate lts not mess with it . I don't see people asking for this and there are things that need real attention like max and tank abilities and fixing the striker or continent or base locking. So many better things that are needed.

It seems like a waste of development time.
    • Up x 6
  3. Winfield

I'm afraid of this HARMING AREAS OF GAMEPLAY, mainly people who want to play stealthily. You see all those cool videos of someone dropping people from behind etc and they just keep getting ressed and killed again because these people have no awareness whatsoever.

With a change like this every potato can see where he got killed from EVEN if he doesn't bother to look at where he got shot from.

I myself main heavy and tend to use attachments that make me visible from a billion meters away anyway, so yeah it's not MY problem, but all this change will do is make people NOT BOTHER IMPROVING THEIR GAMEPLAY and instead rely on a crutch that's given them to like this:

"Oh, you died! Congratulations, you have been awarded information on the enemy's whereabouts!"

Killcam is the cancer of gaming.
    • Up x 8
  4. Aractain

a) If they don't turn around because of the large glowing screen thingy then this probably wont make them either but hopefully it will because

b) farming n00bs is not good gameplay and doesn't make good videos, maybe if they revive, turn around and try and shoot the videos would be more interesting? The gameplay more fun and challenging? Why do some people seem to only care about farming sub br 5 mannequins in this game?
  5. LegioX

It's plain and simple. People today are to stupid to do things for themselves. Like today in America, people think the gov't should be there by their side from craddle to grave to "help" them along in life. Same goes for video games. People need to be craddled and handed everything to them so they can feel "special" when it comes to playing the game, because god forbid gamers get fustrated with a game and leave. Not once do they try to use that empty space above their necks and try and figure out why they are playing bad, or where that shot came from that killed them. It's pretty pathetic.

When i get killed by something i dont see. I look around the area i was in and i say to myself "where would i be hiding if i was playing a sniper." 9/10 the place i pick is usually where they are at. ITS NOT THAT HARD PEOPLE.
    • Up x 10
  6. Winfield

This. Sadly people these days don't want to get better at the game, they want the game to get "better" for them. This is exactly one of those changes that encourages attitude like "I don't need to get good, I can just get killed then get revived and tell my squad where he is!"

Anyone defending this change is most likely in need of this crutch and hence defend it.
    • Up x 7
  7. Tentakewls

I don't see a reason to have this.
    The rest of the death screen stuff is really nice tho.
    • Up x 5
  8. SinnerX

I'm confused. Are we arguing that bad players will be bad regardless of how much the game helps them, therefore this change is useless? Or are we afraid that suddenly these bad players will turn into killing machines when they see a line on the minimap?

I really liked the argument that this will mess up rez kill video montages, though. That was a good one.
  9. Evilsooty

A terrible change. We don't need these awful COD crutches.
    • Up x 4
  10. Winfield

And I'm confused, do you want changes that encourage people not to improve their gameplay?

These crutches do exactly that. If those people in those "montages" bothered looking around even just a bit, they could fight back.

They die because of their own stupidity, giving them a crutch for that stupidity is not the way to go.
    • Up x 2
  11. Spartan 117

I am completely 100% against this change. Massive unnecessary nerf to infiltrators, and for what........? What does this accomplish outside of further penalizing good positioning & catering to people that are not competent enough to identify their surroundings? Stop watering down your game SOE.
    • Up x 4
  12. Nephi1im

Yes, this is the #1 self-reported gameplay reason why players quit our game currently, dying "randomly". A unsettlingly large number of new players who quit cite that as the reason they've quit playing.
    This isn't a silver bullet of course, but we hope it helps add a bit more context to your death.

So, the #1 reason players quit is because someone shot them that they weren't staring at? Seriously, pandering to this crap is silly. I'll go slippery slope here... I quit because bullets hurt me and I don't like dying!!! Fix bulletz plox!?!?
    • Up x 4
  13. maxkeiser

Dying randomly is part of the game. It happens to EVERYONE, no matter how good they are (sure, it happens less to better players, but still...).

Learn to embrace it.
    • Up x 4
  14. Winfield

This. Worst I've had in a good infantry fight was when random ESF debris landed on top of my head, killing me instantly. Weird thing was I was eyeing the surroundings and didn't see a single ESF just ~30seconds before that happened.

A loud "WHAT!?" ensued, followed by maniacal laughter as I saw what killed me. Nerf scythe wing debris.
    • Up x 2
  15. Giggily

This is their way of reducing the learning curve for new players.
  16. RealityWarrior

If anything I think this might help the idiots that scream "HACK!" when they are looking at one guy but are killed by a different one.

I always wonder how confused the NC max that is crouched behind his shield is when I kill him from behind of side. They never even look at me. They just die huddled behind the shield wonder how all that damage got through it.
  17. Hibiki54

I recently put a post on reddit replying to something Higby said in reply to someone else. I do not like the killcam, but I can bring a compromise that should appease everyone.

For someone like myself, the killcam would only be considered a hindrance, a method for the enemy to unintentionally taunt me and a way for me to build frustration. I can already see myself getting upset over random death from an infiltrator, over-extending trying to get to him only to get killed by someone else for being a dumb ***. I have put hundreds of hours into this game and know how to navigate at least 99% of the continental layouts without the main and mini-maps. As a veteran, I don't need a killcam to tell me what I already know.

However, for newer players from Battle Rank 1 to 25, this could be a different story. A killcam could be used as a learning tool to teach them about the game. How did they die? Where did it come from? It will show them they mistake they made in over extending, what to watch out for next time that go gallivanting off in to the field and give them a general idea of a good spot to ambush someone else. They get shelled by a tank? It came from that direction, so I'll go this way and avoid that. An AI turret killed me down that hall way and he's just outside the door. Maybe I can go around and shoot him in the back then tea bag him. A killcam at these levels will be HIGHLY educational for new players. From BR 1 to BR 25 the killcam will help them along. But, once they cross that line into BR 26, the killcam becomes disabled. They're not rookies anymore.
    • Up x 1
  18. Giggily

Not going to help the fact that my alts are going to have it until they hit BR25.
    • Up x 2
  19. Winfield

If they had to add it, this is the only form I'd accept it in. a temporary measure till you're high enough level.

Still doesn't mean I like it.
    • Up x 2
  20. Giggily

The minimap probably isn't going to solve their problems, anyways. They're trying to address the problem of the fact that new players have poor situational awareness and don't know where to move without getting wrecked by other players, but at the same time a lot of the crazy random deaths in this game probably come from Light Assaults and the like in Biolab or Tower fights. So you end up with a system that shows the killer's direction, but not the angle you were shot from, which isn't going to help new players deal with LAs and the like.

I think a much better system would be one with a cone or block indicating a general direction which the shots came from, and the shooter could have been anywhere within the highlighted region.

Even better, though, would be having a death screen minimap, but having one showing the paths which other players on your team are taking, sort of like the player character trail in GW2. At the same time, though, this wouldn't really help much for multi-level bases.

If they do just want to show the direction of the killer, having the last hit indicator remain permanent throughout death would be much better because you can already do that to figure out where people are.
    • Up x 1