Snipers Useless

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Cute-CandyPants, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Foreman Joe

This is true, but there are some exceptions. If the battle rages and you're in the attack force, you can still see the defenders far enough to snipe them. As a defender you don't see much, enemies pop out almost in front of you out of thin air. I've been in both situations during many hours of The Crown siege/defense. I like sniping from extreme ranges on the edge of the draw distance, counting bullet drop and aiming for the heads - it's totally possible even in huge battles, you just need a decent scope 10x or 12x.

Sometimes you're in sniping spot and while you're there the situation on the battlefield changes and your faction retreats, I love when advancing enemy sunderers suddenly deploy in perfect spots for me to shoot :) if only I could carry more ammo
    To be a good sniper just think out of the box, don't follow the zerg, you're not a heavy assault guy. I see a lot of infiltrators that run in zerg crowds with sniper rifles, crouching 20m from enemy in the building trying to get kills when I'm not even near that base, on high ground, shooting heads of the guys inside that building as soon as they try to pop out of the window.. true story.

As for CQC.. the 20 bullet rifle is okay. With NV scope it's extremely useful, just again, don't play like an assault, sneak more, lay mines, use cloak to get away, hide, get behind the enemy and shoot him in the back, you have enough damage in that rifle and with NV scope it's super easy.
  2. UnholyForager

I think its safe to say that by now the fact that Snipers/Infiltrators aren't useless. I find that they are best used in defence/offence while the fighting is outside of the base, like when you are trying to get through the initial defenses (walls, turrets, etc.). After the fighting has moved inside the base to CQC, well some really good infiltrators still shine here, but at this point I usually just find the nearest sundy/gun terminal and swap to a heavy.

Anyways just a few pointers: if you're in anything other than a very small (like ~5 players or so) skirmish, you should be sniping from behind cover. For the claim that you can outsnipe a sniper at any range, well as an extreme example, I would like to see you try killing me (sitting in TI alloys) with an LMG or rocket launcher from that cliff up at the crown before I can line up a headshot. . .or two body shots. . .or heck even before I fire 10 shots.

If you're under fire, remember when I told you to snipe behind cover? use that cover. At long ranges, if you're pinned (usually from another skilled sniper), most forms of cover offer you two angles you can fire from. play the other angle for a bit until your enemy moves on then kill them when they aren't looking. At medium ranges, pay attention to your surroundings. Situational awareness is probably the most key part of staying alive and finding a good position. If someone is trying to sneak up on you, and they aren't a cloaked infiltrator, you should know about it. Again, play your cover and fall back if necessary. At short range (usually other infiltrators), pull out your pistol and get creative. You can get a feel for where they are coming from by listening to footsteps, gunshots, and the cloaking/uncloaking sound. My favorite trick for short range encounters is playing ring-around-the-rosy with a tall tree and high explosives (proximity mines), works like a charm.
  3. Village

Snipers are incredibly good at suppression. You'll keep heavy assault from wandering out and shooting the sunderers. I feel safe when i have a sniper watching over me.
  4. iller

I've Noticed this too... But only on the NC weapon. Apparently our "Gauss" Technology also TRAVELS as slow as or ever slower than TR's more traditional regular-a** lead bullets?

Yeah this is true in most games, but it's even Truer (is that possible?) here. Even on Esamir I can count the number of times I die exclusively to a Sniper on one hand after 10+ hours of playing in a single day.... yesterday I didn't die to a single one of them and bagged atleast 10 myself (half while I was INF, other half while I was ninja-HA). I don't know how normal people can stand it. In a full platoon there's rarely more than 2 of us on INF and that's only b/c we can actually hit moving targets while accounting for up to 5ft of bullet drop. Meanwhile only 3 or fewer of the top 100 players on ANY leaderboard are snipers, or if they are, they're getting all their kills with Betty spam that an AT Engineer could honestly be doing a better job at while also farming repair & sundy points. The fact I die so darn rarely to any sniper just makes me think the Devs didn't want anyone actually playing them.

Fortunately Normal people adapt, they get in an overpowered Tank or RocketPodder and then snipe at Infantry with that cr*p instead. Same OHK, a lot easier to hit b/c the Shell/Rocket collision hulls are HUGE, and have massive AOE on top of that.
  5. Bloodrite

If you want to be realistic about it, then NC shouldn't have muzzle flashes either, since Gauss guns use magnetic coils and not explosives for projectile propellant =p
  6. iller

Hey... YOU'RE RIGHT... I totally forgot about that
    Why am I using this stupid Suppressor then? :mad:

You Sir are a genius and may have just discovered the solution to fixing NC's "slight underpowerdness".
  7. phoboss

wow this has to be one of the best (short) answers to a QQ thread in a while! it sums it up nicely. if you're not good at playing a certain class/role, either stop playing it, or l2p. stop whining and complaining about **** that aint broken.
    Infiltrators are fine. stop trying to get impossiible kills on targets 500m away. wait for a target to stand still for a second, aim for the head, and see him fall to the ground. nothing more to it.
    "...await the right moment for one, and only one well-aimed shot" --Vasily Zaitsev ;)
  8. Phatts

Your protection does nothing for you when I'm shooting you in the head and you don't know where I am. =) I love HA zerglets running through open fields like they are invincible lawl.
  9. {joer

Snipers are situationaly useful.

At times they can really mess up the enemy. I will grant though that 90% of the time they are just annoyances.
  10. Bloodrite

to up the ante further, gauss guns right now fire very fast, but are bulky. given that this is the far future it would be safe to assume that gauss guns are both more effective and compact so the bullet should be traveling supersonic when it exits the barrel
  11. Evil Monkey

Surprising such a lame troll did so well. "Snipers" always evoke strong feelings I guess.

I give it a troll score of 0/10 for creativity, subtlety and wit, upgraded to a 2/10 due to 8+ pages of responses.