Snipers Useless

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Cute-CandyPants, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Krytical

Six pages later and people still don't get it. It's not that infiltrators don't get kills, it's that every other class can get more kills while still bringing more utility to the battle. Infiltrators get the worst combination of weapons/toolkits/abilities in the game. If you're sniping with a bolt-action, chances are you're keeping your distance. Not exactly the best position to employ sensor dart, hacking or mines.

In order to use the tools given to the infiltrator, you need to get up close and personal inside their base. Problem is, the semi-auto and bolt action snipers are the WORST weapons for this job, and the 20 rounds automatic rifle is terrible at all distances.

They need to either give infiltrators tools that are useful from a distance (where you have the advantage), or give infiltrators proper weapons to infiltrate bases and survive CQC encounters. As it stands right now, every infiltrator I catch cloaking around nearby is a free kill.
    • Up x 1
  2. justinbelieber

I would say snipers are good at getting kills, but not so good at helping the team win the game.
  3. Scan

Drink more water I say. :D

It's true tho... often I lurk in the distance, just waiting for one of them sheep to stop and stand still....if only for a moment... guaranteed kill. After killing two sheep, the rest of the sheep start panicking and move away from the ledge/top of the hill and behind cover. Time to move position...

I can see how that's frustrating to when you are the sheep.

From my point of view tho, I've very aware this is where the strength of my chosen class lies, but I didn't pick this class "just" because of it's sniping capabilities. I didn't want to be a sniper really, I'd rather be infiltrating you see... but SOE made the Infiltrator rather useless in CQB. Has me wondering why they named us infiltrator to begin with. "Recon/Scout/Marksman" would have been far better names.
  4. Timeraider

True, Sniper would have been a better name for this class. Still its 10 times more usefull then people think, you dont want to know how many times your backs have been saved because an Infiltrator took out the attackers before they came to attack you while defending/taking/repairing or anything else usefull.

Infiltrators can be seen as support, unlike engineers and combat medics we are never in sight and you will never know what we did to help you. But i can assure you, the moment you repaired a vehicle, took a base or managed to take down an generator. Somewhere there is an Infiltrator who was watching you run and took down the guys chasing you :D
  5. Orosian

I believe that an Infiltrator does not belong in the hot spots, but should be mindful of where they are. I believe the Infiltrator is an opportunist who can exploit situations to make a difference, although they will rarely be recognized for what they do.

Some examples from my PS2 experience:

I was watching a tower and an ally was moving around and there were two heavies coming around the other way. He'd have probably died. Sniped them both. In this instance I got kills, but a lot of times I get assists. A group of enemies can be scattered by a shot or two, which then makes them infantry fodder.

A large amp station assault opens up a number of possibilities. Sniping from lesser-explored areas can take care of LI on the roofs/battlements, engineer turrets, and otherwise entrenched infantry. When it's quiet around a generator I can slip in and sabotage the generator, then fall back to a position which overlooks it and take shots as they come to investigate. That's also a great time to drop a mine.

Sometimes I'll spot a sniper or a cluster of snipers on a hilltop and take them out. Our infantry pour out none-the-wiser and are free to focus on blowing stuff up.

As I said, I get a lot of assists. Sometimes I don't have the time to get a headshot but a chest shot is enough to turn a threat into a retreat. Most don't want to die and trickle off, some are heroes who come zig-zaging towards you with their angry gunfire. Either way it buys time and serves as a distraction. An infiltrator who annoys the enemy is doing their job well.

To be honest I expect I'm more well known amongst the enemies than my allies, and I'm fine with that. I don't need recognition. I make differences and then I get to watch the rest unfold from a safe place.
  6. Noctover

The fact that you have to ask this question is proof enough you shouldent be an Infiltrator.

Infact that entire statement holds no weight at all. Hows a sniper rifle useless? It kills in 1 hit from crazy ranges used correctly, im guessing you came from CoD with the "I CAN GETZ ARMURS AND LAWNCHERS AND COOL STUFF THAT SPLODES AND NOT DIE" without being able to comprehend what a sniper CAN do because it takes a little more sophistication than strapping on a tonn of firepower and armor and charging mindlessly into a base head first which, im guessing, is more your style.

Im hitting on average 35/40 kills to 5-10 deaths on my Infiltrator, im not sure what you define as being owned but im sure that isn't it :).
  7. Akane

in reality maybe, but inside a game, to place the primary hitpoint on the center of mass, the location of almost every persons aim, would make sniper kills and most other kills associated to headshots, extremely op.
    in the gaming world, to allow for more fairness, the primary hitpoint for critical hits, has to be somewhere harder to hit.
  8. XxCrazyCajunxX

I enjoy the way Infiltrator works. I love the challenge of being able to sneak around the back side of an enemy line. I just wish they would bring back hacking vehicles.
  9. ST4LK3R

They help the team by taking out enemy eng/infs/medics and most importantly heavies. Even if a sniper missed the head, those launcher wielding heavies will not dare to come out openly and shoot your tanks. Medics/Engs will start crouching and moving in a pattern I really enjoy watching enemy infantry units panic and look for sniper that killed the guy beside them. Or a sniper can just hack an enemy's vehicle terminal, spawn a sundy and deploy it. And scout the enemies so guys on your side know what's coming to them assuming you are on higher ground. A good inf is usually far far away from the hot zone. Sry if I just repeated what a hundred guys before me said.
  10. Akane

no worries... the ppl who are like the person who started this thread need his repeated as much as possible, since they seem to not understand this. the fact of the infil being a major part of squads has been mentioned several times, and yet they still have the nerve to repost that crap.
    i agree with everything u say, but i will add that u should also be aiming for other infiltrators, who can cause major dmg upon ur allies the same as u do to the enemy.
    and i love that dance ppl do when they suspect snipers.... nowadays i see most ppl doing that dance 24/7. so ik the infiltrators are definatly doing their jobs.
  11. sergent major

Bottom line center mass and head shots should be instant kill on any thing short of a HA
  12. Kurreah

Why?
  13. Armbrust

Why not? You seen the accuracy of a carbine? Sniper rifles are rated III bars, while all automatic/burst are like IIIIII bars. Its hard as hell to hit a moving target who you cannot ask to stop, with latency/lag to adjust for, the only viable target is the size of a melon you have to manually aim, and yet all the spam guns just point in your direction because their IIIIII bar guns will put more shots in a tighter circle (center of mass) while their damage ratting is almost the same (snipers get more range, but about same damage as a carbine since the sniper has to aim for the head while the carbine doesn't since 3 bullets to torso = 1 to the head). Basicly, they do not have to aim as well as with a non-sniper rifles and will still kill faster in CQC (where this game is basicly designed around) while the sniper is left to be content with melon targets that require more skill for the same reward (if not the 50% split exp on damage).

Basicly, if the one shot kill is not allowed because it would be to "OP!!!!" for requiring more skill (the manual aiming part for a tiny, tiny target) ...perhaps a debilitating ability like trauma damage when hitting center of mass that slows the target for 3 seconds for a follow up shot before he gets to cover or a bleeding damage (requring med packs to patch up) or a small random chance one shot centrol mass (not guaranteed, but a 1/10 chance would still not be OP) or increase the reward for a head shot with a sniper rifle (think more like 150 exp, instead of 100 + 25...hacking terminals is worth 25 but destroying it is 100,enemy gets 200 from destroying it (first 100 xp) after you hack it and your body worth of 100 (the second) more if you jump out but still get pwned!!!...go figure, 50% split is so worth the time to manually aim but still strike the chest cause you missed by a pixel).

There needs to be more incentive to play the infiltrator, any class with a spam gun will always be more up front and gaining more exp no matter how often they die...yet an infiltrator laggin in the back providing cover makes less exp while looking for a shot (and many guys die milliseconds before I can aim). The infiltrator is less rewarding for the greater skill involved, put someone equally skilled in a LA or HA will be just as deadly no matter how often they die compared to an infiltrator (cause its a pain in the *** to find a location that doesn't get you spotted immediately, but once you die...takes awhile running around where you don't run into the enemy :confused: before you set up)
  14. vampwood

Infil is one of the strongest medium range classes in a 1v1 scenario with bolt actions and of course you should be engaging at closer ranges, you can actually kill people who aren't standing still or running in a straight line.
  15. Benevon

Sorry, anybody who says that as soon as a sniper fires that they are screwed is doing it wrong. I can set myself up in a spot way out of mini map range of the people I am shooting at, empty all my mags, find a weapon terminal to hack and resupply and head back to do it all again. Sure somebody finds me eventually (usually another sniper) but there is much going on that the ones I'm kiling have no idea where my shots are coming from. Even if they did, they have a good hike to get to me and die on the way there.

Sure, other classes may have more to offer overall and I'm not going into that discussion. OP is getting out sniped by light assaults and that sure never happens to me.

I find sniping fun, and I'm not going to play a video game if it isnt fun for me.
  16. Vilmond

My biggest issues with my sniping experience.

Headshots with the top of the line SR's not killing in a single hit at extreme ranges. I run a 12x scope, the RAMS .50 (highest damage and bullet velocity SR available), and I can clearly see targets, and headshot them, BUT they don't die to a single shot and thats a big issue to me.

Whats the point of the damage and range if it cant be used effectively. Yes I can 1shot headshot people, but when you are head shotting and people are living its just beyond frustrating. Damage drop off for snipers at range should be nearly non-existent imo. Bullet drop, bullet velocity, sure thats fine make me lead and compensate for my shots but not rewarding great long range aiming with a kill for a headshot is just upsetting.
  17. Exrage

Former Marine Scout/Sniper, 2nd Reconnaissance.

Sniping isn't something glorified because it's precise. Your job isn't to kill 50 people within 5 minutes, your job is to kill 5 within 50. If the enemy can see you, you die- that's the essence of infiltration. You are the ninja that runs in behind them and kills them one at a time working your way to the front. Your tools are your knife, your primary if you've geared properly for the CQC, and your sidearm. Claymores/proxies/BBs are your free kill. If you're a sniper, you're off their minimap. If you're CQC, you're in the adjacent building counting down the seconds before you run in knowing there is only one or two guys and they have no idea you're there.

The infiltrator is the most skill based class in the game, and you already have a handicap in that lag will make accuracy harder and your weapons will not pack the punch as your opponents, and if they do they pack more punch but require you to stop and aim then reload three times while all they have to do is hold the trigger down. If that challenge doesn't excite you, go grab an assault or heavy because an infiltrator physically cannot hold the mouse button and run around to get kills.

You want kills as a sniper? Coordinate with someone and find the enemy sunderer, position yourself as far away as you can before it's taken out and get every last moron using the console to change classes as they all stand still- in the exact same position- and all you have to do is line them up. Your job is to pick off them off when they're pinned behind a rock, or when they're holding still- not take a 5 second interval with a semi-auto rifle and pick off 4 targets with 4 head shots, otherwise everyone would be an infiltrator. Moving targets are damn near impossible to hit- and why getting the few that you can are trophies to be recorded for all to see.

Infiltrator's aren't a waste, they're just incredibly skill oriented and require an immense amount of patience and coordination to be utilized properly.
  18. Kurreah

Why add in the center mass as a one hit kill?

I understand that heads already allow one hit kills. The question was why a body shot should also be one, and how large would this "center of mass one-hit-kill" area be?

Unless you are at very close quarters you can't just "point in your direction" with a "spam gun". If nothing else, you need to try to get headshots with the battle rifle or whatever weapon you are using as well.

There already seem to be a fair number of snipers as well as infiltrators who play more support roles, so there does not seem to be a need for more incentives to play the class.
  19. Benevon

This. So much this. I am in no way an incredible player, I am actually pretty bad at most FPS games. I am horrible when I'm in the thick of things. That's why I enjoy sniping (and yeah, I miss a lot trying to get a feel for the range and such). But just finding that awesomely hidden spot and getting that one really long range headshot on somebody is something to be cherished.

I used to play an MMO called Dark Age of Camelot, and I was a ranger. A stealth using archer. I loved sitting behind enemy forces trying to take a keep and consistently pick off the healers or the ones just revived. Watching them die and start trying to find me (and almost never succeeding) was such a joy. It's what I missed in PS1 and I'm so glad Infs get sniper rifles now.

That's why I don't understand when people complain about a class they are playing. If you hate it so much, switch. If you enjoy the class/playstyle then you have to take the strengths with the weaknesses. But that's just my opinion.
  20. Clail

Keeping overwatch on turrets and terminals seems to work out well/feel useful. Assuming you can't get in close to just hack it.

The rendering issue during large battles however makes long distance sniping impossible, and thus, infiltrators especially useless in those kinds of fights.