Phoenix to be buffed against vehicles again, loses OHK on infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by St0mpy, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Pat22

To make it fair, the Striker would also need to be able to be dumb-fired, that way all three ESRLs can be targeted at infantry and there will be no need to carry any other weapons into battle, ever.
  2. Frigidus

Yet the Lancer doesn't one hit kill infantry. A laser would freaking cut you in half!! How about sniper rifles? A shot from a bolt action sniper rifle hitting you square in the chest isn't something you could just walk away from. How about rocket pods? One shot from that should kill the **** out of anyone. And why is it that you can still sprint after getting shot down to a sliver of health? You should be seriously wounded!

This is a video game. Balanced gameplay trumps real world logic.
  3. Frigidus

Damn it, someone beat me to the punch.
  4. Kubor

The answer is simple enough.

Nobody is going to play this game if they spend more time staring at the deploy screen than they do actually playing it.

This is not ARMA.
  5. Codeak

6. treeHamster

To be honest, I feel like if I can hit an infantry with a fully charged lancer I deserve a OHK. Especially if it's from +100m, unless the guy is standing still. I managed to full charge hit a MAX that was walking out of the vehicle bay at Zurvan (I was on one of the towers), it killed him, and I have to say that it was my proudest kill of the day. More so than the 4 Vannys and 1 Lib that I took out doing passes at Regent Rock/Peris.
  7. Suroped

You are right. SOE won't be able to save this broken balance. They should also rename the game to Clownside: Magickal gorrila warfare.
  8. Bankrotas

Honestly, rocket hitting an infantry probably wouldn't even trigger that easy, as it triggers in this game. Rocket just would knock infantry down and change direction.
  9. phreec

Last I checked we were discussing PS2, not PS1. I understand it's an iconic weapon and whatnot but since PS2 is balanced entirely different from PS1 don't I see the point in keeping it the same...

Truth be told currently the Phoenix serves mostly as a guided anti-infantry bullet not only because it can OHK them, but because vehicles (especially air) are too agile and evasive for the missile. The Phoenix just isn't a reliable enough AV weapon, unlike the Striker and Lancer.

Both the Striker and Lancer have at least an effective range of 500m while the Phoenix struggles to even reach 300m. I'm fine with getting rid of the infantry instagib, but if they intend it to be used against vehicles then it needs better range, not damage...
  10. Terramorph

IMO, faction specific weapons are the primary reason that people get frustrated with this game and leave. They create a perception of unfairness that can never be resolved. The new rocket launchers should not have been introduced as faction specific weapons. All three should have been made available to all factions. Those that were later found to be OP could have easily been balanced, without causing unnecessary hard feelings between the different factions. Yes, I know that many folks love their faction differences, but if this game is going to retain players, they really need to limit those differences to those that already exist.
    • Up x 2
  11. Xasapis

Realistically speaking you can't kill infantry with annihilators. Nor you can with the striker and lancer, which you conveniently left out.

The phoenix as is, is a direct upgrade to the default dumpfire missile. Did it have to be a direct upgrade to the decimator as well?
  12. Xasapis

They probably would if they could get away with the engine's limitations. For now it seems that anything beyond 300m may give you a loading screen.
  13. LordMondando

People moan about a supposedly 'AV' launcher killing infantry like every other rocket. It's made only single shot rocket launcher with which a rocket to the face, will not kill someone. It is then given a slight buff to AV which it was weak at before.

People upset.

Lol at perception of NC being OP. I often get the feeling people just want NC nerfed into the ground again, apparently leveling the playing field with twitch changes made us 'OP', where we define 'OP' as 'able to fight back on even keel'.

Yes I'm exaggerating, probably because im so tired of the moaning.
  14. HowToAim

Well it was fun while it lasted. Hilarious to see that people are still complaining now that it's nerfed-- it's a garbage weapon as far as AV goes.

My SC is awaiting the next OP weapon.
  15. Bape

Ever since they nerfed flinch from high rate of fire we are considered OP because we are more in line with the other faction now. Also it funny how our AI just got nerfed and now they are whining about our AV damage lol??
  16. SgtBreastroker

What makes it even more confusing is that all those launchers have better splash than the Phoenix.

I'm hoping they don't remove the direct impact OHK ability. That will be a full retard move.
  17. St0mpy

Yeah let it keep its OHK, just remove the camera and make it hand guided instead. Balance problem solved.
  18. Copasetic

The same happened to TR and VS back when your ROF depended on your framerate. Once that was fixed the weapons were instantly better than they were so another "balance pass" was done shortly after.
  19. Bape

You lost me? what lol
  20. Kubor

So you couldn't "fight back on an even keel" before the Phoenix was released a whole massive lifetime of ONE WEEK ago?

Are you saying that without the unintended AI impact of the Phoenix that the NC is suddenly and mysteriously gimped beyond use?

Why do you feel that you need an AV weapon that was being used primarily as AI all of a sudden when you didn't before?

It's all in your mind. You have a super buffed new AV weapon that can be fired from complete safety, that in the right situation, just like all of the ESL's, can be devastating to the enemy.

Nothing has changed in this game since last week except that each Empire has a new AV weapon. That hasn't and shouldn't directly affect the Infantry side of the game in any way shape or form.

Anybody would think that all of your AI weapons had been nerfed since last week.