Phoenix to be buffed against vehicles again, loses OHK on infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by St0mpy, Mar 28, 2013.

1. LordMondando

did I say that? No I'm refering to the whole 'NC is OP' thing flying around now, which has cresedoed with the phoniex, but did not start with it.

Did I, no. but There have been a lot of general calls to nerf a host of NC stuff, from scat maxes to small arms. As if fraction spesificity only applied to VS and TR.

Two things here.

1) No one ever said it was AV.
    2) I'm on record as suggesting a number of changes to the phoenix that made it harder to hit infantry.

as above. I'm not aruging the NC needs the phoniex as is. I'm the wheel of 'X is OP' is currently on the NC, whether or not is true. Which by and large, it is is not. We have a max with shotgun arms, shotguns generally being nerfed. Phoniex launched unbalanced, have to see how that goes. When people start going on about how we have good small arms, heh. Of course no one even bothers to try with the Reaver or the Vanguard.

Actually, you know what, I'm waiting for people to moan about the vanguard shield. Its coming mark my words.
  2. Kubor

What?

Are you seriously claiming that it's not crystal clear that the Phoenix is an AV weapon?
  3. LordMondando

Why because its a rocket launcher?

Look at the description for all the default ones.

Its besides the point, whether or not it the Phoenix should be as good at killing infantry as it is pre-patch today, is irrelevant (it shouldn't). People have just plucked reasons from the aether about what another fractions weapon system should be like, and argument against its power.

Its a ******** tactic, and we'll see it again most likely.
  4. Goretzu

You will be.
  5. Copasetic

There used to be a bug in the game, for weeks, where the rate of fire on your gun depended on your framerate. Meaning if you were at 60 fps your gun would fire at almost the full speed it was meant to, but if you were at 30 fps it would fire a lot slower. This was affecting the TR and VS weapons the most because they had higher ROF than the NC weapons. Once it was fixed (weeks later) the TR and VS weapons were suddenly a lot better and were 'balanced' again shortly after.

What I'm saying is it's only natural to take another look at weapon balance after removing something that directly affects weapon balance, like the ROF bug or like the flinch mechanic. Maybe NC weapons are still fine, maybe they need to be toned down, I don't know. I just know it needs to be looked into now that flinch is gone, and I'm sure SOE is looking at the data right now for just that reason.
  6. Kubor

I think you've become incredibly confused.

The Phoenix was released at exactly the same time as the Lancer and the Striker. The Phoenix is clearly meant to be an AV weapon, just like it was in Planetside 1. Just like the Lancer was AV and the Striker was AV. Just like they are in Planetside 2.

You can be as deliberately obtuse as you like. You can remain in self denial about it for as long as you like too. The fact of the matter is that the latest NC specific AV weapon was far too good at killing Infantry easily. So good in fact that most people didn't even buy it or use it for AV work. It was a camera guided Noobtube that could be fired from complete safety that had a detremental affect on infantry gameplay and overall game balance.It was bad for the game and quite rightly got adjusted.

If that wasn't the case then Higby wouldn't have ever acknowledged vai Twitter that it was a problem. He would never have sanctioned the AI damaged being toned down and he would never have buffed the AV damage to try to force users to shoot vehicles with it instead of Infantry.

If it was fine then it would have been left alone. Of course, if NC players have a problem with a weapon, then they are "giving feedback". If TR and VS players have a problem with a weapon, they are "whining and crying".

Perhaps we should all remember that it's just a game? Everybody needs to be able enjoy it otherwise we very quickly won't have a game at all. As fun as the Phoenix may have been, it was only fun for 1/3rd of the player base and was quite obviously going to alienate a not insignificant proportion of the remaining 2/3rds.

The bigger picture matters.
    • Up x 2
  7. LordMondando

No, you are confused. Again search my posts, even read what I've said. Do not think the Phoenix is balanced. Not my point that it is.
  8. SgtBreastroker

Now you have a mobile AV Mana turret.
  9. PS2Freak

wow. this bias gone now too far. Infantry Damage reduced - but no, it is not enough.... it should be most useless launcher of all.

i think now is time to look for changes to Striker with it >30% difference in AverageScorePerHour.

and its time to look for buffing Lancer...
    • Up x 1
  10. Dragonblood

Or make it really deadly against vehicles and Infantry......super easy to control, but decrease its range to 100. NCs able to kill a Sunderer without leaving their base or using ressources is just broken.

Plz tell me how this is not gamechanging.
  11. Copasetic

It's time for more people to start using the Lancer so we can get some proper statistics after the latest round of fixes and buffs. Then we can take another look at balance.

FYI if you want to inflate the stats for the Lancer's average score just tag every vehicle you see with one uncharged shot. You'll get loads of assists that are worth at least 200 XP per vehicle.
  12. HellasVagabond

Another whine thread ? Really ?
  13. PS2Freak

this whole thread is full of envy, want phoenix too - go NC.

i never moaned against prowler he spam and more then that, i Could live with it. i adapted. I could live with magrider too. I can live with Striker making radius of 500m dead zone.

what i see here is totaly unhonest faction bias and envy. enemy shouldnt have something worth.

+ i never abused phoenix against soft target. i used it against vehicles. and its damage was low enough that i feel that is worthless weapon on my hand, i should go with G2G launcher instead. little more damage is welcome. i think damage will come close to TR striker damage output. we will see

[offtopic]
    only striker should make chaos in 500m !!!!! range, destroying all and everything.

god vorbid others vanu or nc have a chance.
  14. St0mpy

yes, pretty much, in line with both the game and the other launchers.

keep your ohk on infantry, while the striker cant even target them and the lancer is underpowered, keep your ohk on ESF while the striker doesnt even come close to the kill landing a whole salvo and the lancer cant even hit one, keep your 2SK on all tanks when everyone else needs salvos, but yeah, take the fricken camera away.
  15. HadesR

I don't agree it should OHK Air .. but it should do more damage than a Striker's full clip .. Since it being a lot harder to hit compared to the lock on
    • Up x 2
  16. overunity

Please could I get some clarification on the abbreviations .
    OHK =
    Infantry OSK=

Thank you for any help .
  17. Goretzu

Well that's not exactly true the Pheonix is actually right where it is supposed to be in AI damage when compared to other AV weapons in PS2.

All AV weapons (and certainly heavy launchers) do a LOT of AI damage in PS2 (arguably too much).

You can tell this if you ever come up against a hacker with an aim-bot and a deci launcher (I have), it is appallingly powerful. :eek:

The Pheonix's problem is exactly the same as it was in PS1, there's just several situations where firing off a rocket and hitting an infantryman is plain sensible (be it you're pinned down and outnumbered, but you can curve a Pheonix from cover or the vehicle you fired at was just destroyed but that's infantry right next to it).
    It was in PS1 where it took 4+ direct hits to kill infantry and it always will be in PS2 even if they nerf it to that level too.
  18. HadesR

One Hit Kill
    One Shot Kill
  19. NinjaTurtle

No worse than how TR was spamming the HE prowler before it was nerfed a bit. I would often log on and just see 100 prowlers charging around (with a few ammo sundy) pounding the **** out of every single base and racking up huge kills, whilst seeing few actual infantry trying to take the cap points

The Phoenix is going to be nerfed just like the Prowler was, the NC are just taking advantage of their toy whilst it still can kill infantry one hit like the TR took advantage of their toy till it was nerfed.
  20. St0mpy

To pluck it out like that is wrong. To have score per hour be any use we have to discuss how to compare the much higher scores given for killing a vehicle vs the lower scores for killing a person.

In pure numbers the phoenix is killing 19 infantry per hour and 8 vehicles per hour, the striker is killing 7 infantry per hour and 10 vehicles per hour.

Ok so we are looking, do we see >30% difference in real terms? No, not even close. The striker is a bit better against vehicles, but could it be Phoenix users are so busy shooting inf they dont bother with vehicles? Who knows, either way all we have is the stats, and they say advantage Phoenix.