Agnar Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kolamer, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Gemini Syringes Augur

I understand what you're saying here, but gearing/AA a bunch of toons for what, exactly? So you can look at them at character select and imagine the challenges you'll never undertake because there's no content left? To each their own, I suppose.
  2. Astley Augur

Right, and you know, there are some folks that just dig that.

Doesn't float my boat particularly. I want to keep progressing and not have a finish point for my character where there is nothing left I can do to advance them.

I suppose for some folks that enjoy going about and getting a 100% complete on their RPGs will appreciate this because they can physically set themselves a limit to bring each character to.
  3. Gemini Syringes Augur

Yeah, I guess I can see that. Seems like an odd choice in a genre of game where the dangling carrot is essentially the heart of gameplay, but there is more than one way to play a game, I suppose.
  4. Haladan Lorekeeper

The thing is, I'm willing to bet most people never even got close to getting 100% BiS nor is it everyone's goal to begin with. With work, family and RL, many people just like to come back to EQ in the era where they were in their 10's and early 20's .. to revisit all the places they enjoyed so much again and again. Just to relax a bit and let go of work and all. That's also why a lot including myself are not really interested in progressing past PoP. Lots just want to come back to the world they know, have fun and progress 1% at a time towards BiS if possible (but probably before that happens reroll a new toon ;) ).

And never forget EQ is as much a social chat box as it is a loot driven RPG. There's plenty of games out there if all you are interested in is loot. But MMORPG's where community and reputation matter are rare to found.
    Deadshade and Rhodz like this.
  5. Thorak1234 Lorekeeper

PoP-locked is what I always wanted but true box is a deal breaker for me; I can't live without my boxes. :(
  6. AgentofChange Augur

Buy another computer or 2
  7. Kinlin Lorekeeper

Love this idea for a guild on this server. I plan on playing a lot of different classes I never got to play because I always had to keep up and maxed on my main character. I also want to complete the epic quest for each one and feel like it is an item that is still viable in the game and not outdated because of all the expansions that have come out.
    Razzle likes this.
  8. Kinlin Lorekeeper

I felt the same way when I started playing on phinny, but I liked the change of pace in playing one character to its max potential. Also you will have plenty of time to level up alts, dont need to keep them maxed since the server will be locked.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Cant speak for anyone else but there comes a time when one gets burned out on a char class and the need is for a few weeks of something completely different. Gives one a lot of flexibility in particular if a shortage exists on a raid an alt can fill.
    Also takes the sting out useless draconian nerfs that pop up from time to time as one is not completely invested in just one char.
  10. Darrieth New Member

Think about it people... There's mercenaries on EQ live for a reason, because it is not a desirable game to play. To stop at PoP, a time at which many agree was a good part of everquest history, is to allow those who wish to re-experience the nostalgia a chance to do that without being steamrolled by the quick rushing to the part in which is not desired. Project 99 has had a solid and consistent population for many years, and at a much slower released rate of expansions for a reason. Yea people will get tired, but I for one get tired of games no matter what new content may come out. That's just the nature of gaming.
    Haladan and Rhodz like this.
  11. Razzle Augur

(Cheers)
  12. Deadshade Augur

That's surely also what DB thinks .
    Agnarr is so clearly tailored for this kind of players that there can't be any doubt that this is where the money for DB is .
    Did anybody ask himself why would DB launch a TLP locked at PoP ONLY 2 years after having launched 3 TLPs ?
    If DB listened to what 99 % of people on these boards are saying then they would never launch Agnarr and certainly not with truebox and PoP lock .
    Ah yes and they would never start at Classic because according to these 99 % Classic is soooo boring :)

The crushing majority (several thousands) of players that will start on Agnarr will not even remember where the BiS drop nor will they try their epic.
    Most of them will have never played in the far past beyond Luclin or PoP but they will still remember Classics .
    Many won't even reach max level nor will they raid - they will just enjoy XPing, grouping, questing, trade skilling and chatting with friends.
    This is called having good time with no rush and no stress . Who cares for BiS or raids ?
    And definitely almost none of them are playing EQ in any form right now nor posting on these boards for that matter .

Why lock at PoP ?
    Well obviously DB knows that latest by PoP most of these people will have left again anyway .
    So whoever still plays is just a bonus but their number is irrelevant .
    DB can then just launch another TLP because there are still hundreds of thousands of former EQ players who have missed the last TLP and as long as a few thousands come back and pay for even a few months, there is no reason to stop .
  13. Kolamer Journeyman

Hey did you all see there is a new sub-reddit dedicate solely to the Agnarr Server? r/Agnarr
    Storm Lord Agnarr likes this.
  14. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

The great thing about PoP-locked is that every time you talk about it, it sounds like you might be referencing a popular mid-aughts dance style. See:
  15. Razzle Augur

What you are referring to is people that play for content driven entertainment, where as this new type of server is relationship driven entertainment where people can focus on having fun with other people instead of on the content they are doing. People will be less selfish with their online time and more likely to do things with their guildmates(other than raiding) if they are not racing through content to keep up with the xpacs. On live you see a bunch of people just boxing/mercing solo doing their own thing when you log on to play for the most part.

That is just my take on it. There was more people interaction in early EQ than current EQ. The People interaction seems to drop off around Oow and when to became easier to multi box on one computer with the advancement of technology. Certain people that played in the original classic through LDoN/PoP want that people interaction back that was so iconic during that period of the game.

From a business stand point, Daybreak is creating several different types of products in regards to servers instead of just having one type of server to reach different types of players in order to increase revenues. This is what all businesses do, create different types of products to sell to different types of clients.
    Rhodz likes this.
  16. Machentoo Augur

It's not the same.
  17. Machentoo Augur

And four threads that are identical to the top four Agnarr threads here. Kudos to you guys for sticking to your guns rather than allowing original thoughts to interfere with things.
  18. liveitup1216 Augur

For me personally, the problem is in EQ the dangling carrot rots with each expansion after PoP and becomes a dangling piece of decay and feces. I'd rather stop where the dangling carrot is most appealing rather than sully the carrot's good name with terrible abominations.
    Razzle, Grisnkh and Haladan like this.
  19. Chips Elder

Will the tutorial zone be locked permanently on Agnarr? I'm hoping so.
    MBear likes this.
  20. Sabot New Member

Everything right here is me. I just re-subbed on Ragefire to get some practice in for this server. I quit at PoP and never came back until now. Looking forward to this even though it still isn't the same game as it used to be. It's close enough though until Pantheon comes out.