Marvel Cinematic And More News

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Not sure where I should post this but, Disney+ had debuted a preview in the Netherlands.

And apparently, it will include the Marvel animated TV shows from the 90's. In other words, my childhood. (Those and the Bats and Supes animated series of course). It will also be DIGITALLY REMASTERED in HD. Here's a screenshot. Note, that it also includes MCU shows from other networks such as ABC, Freeform, and Hulu (streaming service).

[IMG]

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/12/20862687/disney-plus-90s-xmen-marvel-animated
    • Like x 1
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Aside from the nostalgic Disney afternoon cartoons, they definitely had me with 90s Marvel cartoons :)
    • Like x 1
  3. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    [IMG]
    Anyone remember the so call NEW WARRIORS tv show that was supposed to air on Freeform. Though the pilot episode was filmed, it was dropped from Freeform and shopped around to other networks including Hulu and the upcoming Disney+ but it seems not even they want to pick the series up, so its officially dead at this point
  4. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    [IMG]
    Now take this with a grain of salt because it is a rumor but it seems Marvel Studios may be looking to race bend both Professor X and Magneto in the form of actors, Giancarlo Esposito and Denzel Washington. It is still way to early to talk about Marvel Studios rebooting the X-men but it seems both actors are on the studio's wishlist
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Even with keeping in mind that it's at the rumor stage, you can bet there's already pitchforks and torches being readied at the mere mention of those kinds of changes to the characters.

That being said? While I'm not as familiar with Esposito's body of work, Denzel is one of those actors who could make it work, whether he was playing Magneto or Xavier.
  6. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Esposito will be playing Moff Gideon in The Mandalorian tv series, and played the role of Gus Fring in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. But yeah, the guy is a great actor.

I don't usually mind race bends, but how are they going to race bend Magneto? Wasn't he in like a Jewish interment camp or something? I don't mind the race bend of Xavier though, as long as it's with a good actor.
    • Like x 2
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, unfortunately there's not been a lack of horrific acts like that since WWII. So they don't necessarily have to stick with that particular origin for Magneto to give him the same kind of background or backstory to explain why his worldview is the way it is.
    • Like x 2
  8. FoolsFire Devoted Player

^^^ Proof of this is how they changed Thanos. He wasn't altruistic in the original Infinity Gauntlet storyline. He was a crazy love-sick blankety-blank-blank who killed everyone to show off to his 'supposed' girlfriend.
  9. Shn275 Well-Known Player

They don't necessarily have to use that origin, especially if it's going to be set post Endgame. The characters would be very old by that time period, like deep 80s to early 90s old. IMO, if they're really going with a POC, then the Civil Rights era would be perfect.
    • Like x 1
  10. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

This has been talked about for awhile because of Disney buying FOX, generally surrounding what to do with Magneto's backstory in our current time period. Sadly there are of course the diversity for diversity sake talks as well.

I'm not sure what made this become such a big deal all of a sudden, I've been seeing all the anti-sjw people going crazy about this.
  11. Azreaus Committed Player

It's not all "anti-SJW" (tho a lot of it is) it's the fact that they want to take two long existing and very iconic characters and race bend them because of 'muh diversity', which is a very different situation from when they made Cpt America/Spider-man coloured by A) giving the mantle of Cap to Falcon and B) creating a new character with similar abilities to the OG Spider-man.
  12. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Yes Magneto's backstory had him as Jewish with him and his family having been put in a concentration camp during World War 2.

But that's a really big issue, with his story set to such a time period. WWII began 80 years ago this month and it was depicted that Magneto was a teenager when he was imprisoned, putting him in his late 90's now.

With that it will be needed to give him a more modern story, so the talks are around what horrific event could match that of WWII and most things that come close deal with non-white peoples.

I would prefer them to not change his ethnicity but depending on what event is used I could deal with it but there is no reason to change Xavier. His story has no need to be changed, he's just a person who strives for peace.
    • Like x 1
  13. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

True but the writers can come up with a reason, for example, since the MCU doesn't exactly follow the comics, they can have Magneto be 7 or 8 years old during WWII and say mutants somehow age differently than normal humans due to the mutant gene. As for the race bending issue of Magneto or Professor X, I am in disagreement because the X-men are already full of diverse characters to choose from. If they're trying to push diversity well take your pick
    [IMG]

And to add another rumor, actor, Viggo Mortensen is apparently also being looked for the role of Magneto or Doctor Doom :eek:
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  14. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Sony & Marvel Strike Deal for Third Spider-Man Film

[IMG]

Spider-Man is back in the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

Sony Pictures and Disney's Marvel Studios have agreed to co-produce a third Spider-Man film starring Tom Holland. This will also open Holland's Spider-Man up to appear in future Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.
    The full press release appears below:

Source: https://www.cbr.com/sony-marvel-deal-third-spider-man-film/
    • Like x 2
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So part of me wonders how many smacks upside the head to the Sony execs it took before they changed their minds. LOL

It'll be interesting to hear how the new deal shakes out financially for both studios (who pays for what, how big are the cuts for each company) but it's good to see them get on the same page again.
  16. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

17. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

The way you wrote this, it seems to are still under the impression that it was Sony's fault, it wasn't.

Disney wanted a deal that pretty much took away Sony's full ownership of the property. If Sony's execs had agreed to the deal there would have been far worse than head smacks happening.
    • Like x 1
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

*gasp* Marvel wanting to get back more control and/or ownership over their character? Shocking! :eek:

:D Couldn't resist.

This is how I looked at it: Sony made a good amount of money and received good-to-great reviews working with Disney/Marvel on the Holland Spider-Man films, especially when compared to the income and reviews Sony got on the Garfield Spidey films. Unless Sony had a sure-fire, can't-miss plan in place to make as much (if not more) money on their own (their track record doesn't really help support that idea), initially not working out a deal with Disney/Marvel was kind of a boneheaded move on Sony's part and someone there deserves a smack upside the head.
  19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Adding to the Spidey news, there is a rumor that actor John Krasinski is being looked at for the role of Mr Fantastic because it seems Kevin Feige wants Spidey to be included in a Fantastic Four movie :eek: In addition, the way the Fantastic Four may debut in the MCU is that they have been a part of the MCU since the days of Ant-man, as in the 70's they disappeared in the Negative Zone and reemerge in the present day not having aged.
    [IMG]
  20. FoolsFire Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2