Development Update: Artifacts!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Moja, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Great Architect Loyal Player

I think we hit the limit of reasonable inventory space to create an item with the Starro OP gear. Prior to that there were few complaints. The player community way to deal with storage issues has always been to have dedicated storage characters, rather than (or in conjunction with) purchasing extra space. But it's probably time to consider that just because that is how we have always got around the storage limits, it's not a reasonable or desirable way to do so.

Storage (including "virtual storage" - that is emailing stuff to another character) needs to be addressed.

It's important to remember that expansion of your storage is a Marketplace item, so future expansions would almost certainly be so, too.

Be careful what you wish for.

Short-term fixes that require little or no deep coding work are: -

• Remove "expiry dates" on emails. This would probably need to be conditional on you purchasing a required level of extra bank, inventory, or shared bank slots.
    • Increasing stacking sizes. Members-only perk (and probably the best one you could ever wish for).
    Things which would be useful / desirable, but would take some deeper work on the game: -
    • Have your armouries actually store the gear that is imprinted on them. If the same gear is imprinted on multiple armouries, it would take up a slot in each.
    • Containers. Limited-sized mini-banks that contain X amount of slots, but take up just one slot in your storage - and can only be opened if you have X free Inventory/Bank spaces. This would also probably need a tooltip view of the contents, or allow you to name them.
    • Extend purchaseable Inventory, Bank and Shared Bank slots further. This is in the "deeper work" section, since I suspect there are some constraints relating to the size of these in the original game design.
    • Archive storage. Storage that you deposit items into, but cannot withdraw them for X amount of time, unless you pay in some manner (MoV seems an obvious choice)
    • Item Escrow. Similar to the above, but you can only access your items by buying a key from the Marketplace.
    I'm sure there are a million other ideas, but these seem like the most feasible to me.
  2. Great Architect Loyal Player

Think Side Missions, when they granted MoV every day: Either you can access them now, or you cannot. The ones you can access, you farm. The ones you can't, you can't.
  3. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Stacking is the simplest solution to all of it.

I have a storage toon with maxed out inventory and bank slots, and every slot is filled with 16 stack bytes. If bytes could stack to 999, then all those same bytes would take up just 6 slots.

Six.
    • Like x 2
  4. Great Architect Loyal Player

From the point of view of players, yes it is.

From the point of view of the Devs it is not.

16 is a suspicious number in database architecture. It heavily implies that the number of bits assigned to e.g. Exobit, Exobyte, various R&D Mats, is 4 (because 16 is the maximum number you can represent in 4 bits).

What is a "simple" solution on the surface, is a recode of all the routines that expect to only handle a 4-bit number in the game engine.

This is also likely why you cannot stack some items (PI-granting consumables, for instance), and why most newer components stack to 999 , and not 1024 (16x16x4 - a much cleaner number for our purposes) - they are likely (in game terms) multiple stacks of 16 that have a bunch of additional info stored in the remaining 25 bits to represent them being one stack.
  5. Pouncers New Player

Mister Terrific’s T-Spheres
    Kryptonite X
    Cyborg’s Nanites
    Vixen’s Tantu Totem
    Emerald Empress’ Emerald Eye of Ekron
    • Like x 1
  6. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

have you tested it yet? and know for sure this is how it works?

if not I'll wait for Moja to respond.
  7. Zamara Dedicated Player

You're not required to have all DLCs, catalysts (the ones that come from specific missions) can be traded so if you need catalysts from blackest day (this is the highest raid you'll need to run for now) you can trade with someone who has that DLC
    The items that you can't trade drop from ads, the vault & the stabilizer event (every ad has a chance to drop nth metal) so you just need to kill stuff to get it
  8. Zamara Dedicated Player

9. Margus New Player

This is insane,
    i play over 12 hours every day doing dailys grinding coins, bonds, mov and marked bills, lpve if i finish all in 1 day probably not have faith and mood todo any raids maybe 1 in day if i want dodo raids then i have to stop doing dailys basicly if artifacts released ppl just not have time todo low tier raids because no time for that everyting you do takes hours.
  10. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Why do you think you would need to do EVERYTHING every day? Nobody else does. Artifacts are intended to be a long term goal.
    • Like x 1
  11. Margus New Player

indeed it is but you now have extra work with 2 artifacts per toon if you not do it its no progress on it feats and stuff have must have to get fast done this thing have to get done quick with any cost. Otherwise if you not do it takes months years, For that you have todo 50 or more raids and you not feel any difference.
  12. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

"Long term" =/= "done quick"
  13. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

thats a load of BS if I ever heard, you and I know damn well as long as people need those for artifacts they aren't upping them to anyone unless you're willing to pay 2-5mil+ for 1.

especially since yet again feats are tied to another system they are implementing. From what I was told around 10sp worth of SP.

So you can bet your life on it that people will keep every material they earn if they are going to take part in artifacts, if not they'll sale them to make tons of in-game money off those who will, like anything else.

but giving them away for free? your crazy.
  14. Harlequin Devoted Player

Unless the same catalyst is used for multiple breakthrough events on the same artifact, there will be no reason to horde them. There will be a market for them and people will farm them to sell once they have passed that threshold.

edit: Upon rereading your post, I see that you aren't denying that these will be sold. You are assuming that by "trade" the poster you quoted meant that these items would be given away. That's quite the leap as he did not mention the terms of that trade.
  15. Redboy23 New Player

Well done DC,

I look forward to this new system. I definitely want to go into an elite raid and have a fair chance of completing it after I have put in the work! There is a delicate balance between challenging and frustrating! Thank you for breathing some life back into the game. Do keep it fresh and interesting - I do not want to stop playing a game that I have put so many years into.

Let me hasten to add, I hope this is not an avenue for persons willing to spend marketplace cash and replays to level up quickly while the rest of us lag behind. I am very pleased with the fact that you get your drops to level up the artifact even though you are loot locked from the instance. DC is earning a reputation for being a greedy money hording game; arrangements like this will slowly remove this stigma and the company will eventually have a more satisfied and loyal player base. Do keep this in mind when making decisions.

I really encourage you guys to make members feel a little more appreciated instead of putting the squeeze on us. Fortunately, I have a league which helps make the game fun and exciting, otherwise I would have called it quits a long time ago.

Keep up the great work team DC !
    • Like x 1
  16. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

regardless you and me both know before it even hits live, people will expect in-game cash and alot of it for just 1.
  17. Harlequin Devoted Player

Just be glad that there will finally be something that people can farm for in-game that might generate some cash. Right now, only OP collections and certain TC crap is worth anything.
  18. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

yea OP collections from what AF3, AoJ, RwC + TC collections

but ppl cant seem to find ways to make money :rolleyes:

I find it hard to believe especially when Im not legendary and can give collections to a friend and make him 70-80mil in less then a 14 days lol

as I've done it before.

there's purifiers that sale but nobody thinks to sale them, bits, bytes sale still. Sure not for 500k-1mil but 50k-400k
  19. Zamara Dedicated Player

I never said it'd be for free, i said you could trade for them as in you offering something for them to the other player in return.
  20. recoil Committed Player

much like everybody else i'm gonna like this new system of progress. i guess now we know why the individual stat branches for dps, healers, and trollers go up to 280 on two stats. also there's really no need to even trade the catalysts and stuff unless you just absolutely want to be the person who's at level 100 on the first day or first week. where's the fun in that? that's like the players who run ahead in every single content run even when they have a higher cr player with them. what's to brag about? that you did all the work for nothing?

just as a side note the only down side is you have to run content like dlcs to get the dlc or mission specific catalysts so there might be a slight downside.