Vanu bias confirmed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by raffa2, Aug 20, 2018.

1. HomicideJack

Like an NC implant which overclocks projectile velocity or something, and a TR one that improves reload time.
  2. Pacster3

And then? You shoot half your magazine(most of those heat weapons don't have that many shots before they overheat)...go behind cover, wait till it's down...shoot again half your magazine...repeat. Others do a full reload when the magazone is empty(or if they are smarter: When there is just 1 bullet left)...needs about as long as waiting twice for cooldown. Seriously, if I go behind cover then either cause I got to reload or cause I'm serioulsy injured and wait for my shield(which needs much longer than a reload). Why I should go behind cover and wait for a cooldown if I still have half a magazine and am not injured is beyond me. On top of that have most(all?) other weapons a faster reload as well if you do not empty the magazine. They can't blame others if they are too stupid to reload in time...
    Still leaves the impression with me that he got NO idea what he is talking about. I think I'm now at my third heat gun to auraxium...and I can say that I don't see a difference. i'm caught reloading all the time and usually when I go behind cover then it's either too short to let it cool down much(if it kicks in at all)...or long enough that I could do a reload as well. It's like the situation with shotguns where you can reload single shots and shoot...I just did auraxium the baron and that helped me like 2 in all those kills. It really does not matter much cause it's quite well balanced.
  3. That_One_Kane_Guy

Most of the time it doesn't matter, yes. However there are situations where you will be able to keep a higher tempo with a heat weapon than with a traditional weapon. Maybe our playstyles are different, or maybe there's just a big difference in the weapons but for me the Phaseshift was much more useful to me than the Vandal simply because I could go from target to target much more quickly while using my downtime more efficiently just because I could pace my shooting without ever having to reload.

Not speaking for anyone and not calling it overpowered, just confirming that there is a difference.
    • Up x 2
  4. Zak Preston

The only problem is that the worst ES pistol is VS-Spiker, the rest ES ones are indeed worse copirs of NC pistols. The "no bullet drop" tax that VS pays for is usually lower muzzle velocity and lower alpha damage range. Bravo, 5-25m is the exact distance where no bullet drop is needed the most, while maximum damage range, RoF, magazine size are tertiary at best.

TR SMGs have higher magazine capacity, NC ones blatantly annihilate with 200 dmg per bullet and have extremely comfortable vertical recoil (Cyclone and Gladius make so jealous). Now let's look at Eridani: pretty decent stats, but the magazine clip has... 25 rounds because of the most OP faction trait ever!

Perhaps. but now Canis is the worst VS SMG => the worst SMG of all 3 factions. I wonder what happened in DBG game designers' heads when when they took a decision to nerf Canis to the ground.
  5. Pacster3

Granted, I got no idea about the phaseshift. I'm no sniper. But then it's a problem with the phaseshift(which has other downsides) and not with the heat trait.

Oddly enough I auraxiumed that one after the nerf...and for me that seemed to be easier than the MKV Supressed(I just started with that one now) and the NS7PDW(that I did a while ago). I like the Canis...maybe spin up suits my style. Don't know...
  6. Campagne

Spiker is easily the best of the VS' pistols in my opinion, and is indeed better than the Desperado. While there are some small differences, the Spiker has greater accuracy and one more burst per magazine as well as an extra 2 meters of maximum damage range. The only notable disadvantage is a mere 20RPM less than the Desperado, which is nigh unnoticeable in combat. Also charged/AV mode, for funsies.

No bullet drop only impacts the VS' projectile velocities, though on some weapons *cough* Obelisk *cough* the trait is entirely free. This has nothing to do with maximum damage ranges. I feel most players don't give the trait enough credit, though yes largely on VS' sidearms and SMGs it's not very relevant.

Funnily enough large magazines is a TR trait. :p However do note the Canis has the largest magazine of the three 3rd-gen SMGs at 40. The NC only has one 200DMG SMG, the Gladius, and it is awful.

Here's a thread detailing why: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/discussion-gladius.249699/

The Cyclone was actually nerf'd in the recoil department because so many players called it "OP." It suffers worse vertical recoil than any VS SMG, any TR SMG, or any NS SMG with the sole exception being the NSX Tengu.

The Cyclone also has only 25 rounds in the magazine. Is it somehow underpowered or inferior because of that?

Source: http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

Canis is still fairly decent and is better than the Gladius. But more importantly what went through their heads is "sales of this blatantly over-performing weapon have gone down, time to bring it back in line with the other SMGs." The Canis was nerf'd because it was overpowered plain and simple. It's a fairly decent SMG as is.
    • Up x 1
  7. Rydenan

Earlier, VS was given the criminally broken abhorration that was the launch VE-S Canis.

Then, VS was handed NC's signature, faction-specific 167/600 damage model in the form of the MAW (i.e. the VS Anchor), which overnight ended years worth of VS protests that the Anchor was OP.

Then, VS was given by far the best of the new battle rifles, which has no bullet drop, no velocity penalty, infinite ammo with no reloads, and even a spray-n-pray hipfire mode for good measure.

Now, they are given a faction-specific implant.

There may be some truth to what you say.
    • Up x 4
  8. Skraggz

I like where you are going with this but, while admittedly the implant in question favors the VS, they would need more of their weapons to be heat based to even out what you are suggesting... in the name of fairness.
  9. pnkdth

Found them to be very different weapons. Vandal is more a slugger with its ADS speed and more favourable at closer ranges given it shares damage model with scout rifles. The PS(Phaseshift) is a heavier class (its minimum damage is the same as the Vandal's max damage) and the PS also have a lower rate of fire + would overheat with a smaller magazine capacity if played like a Vandal. The PS has more in common with other sniper rifles (like the Spectre/Phantom). That being said the latter of those have a rather long reload.

The PS does reward the slow and deliberate user though but for me I find this style to put me at a greater risk versus other snipers, indeed, other snipers I hunt which use semi autos tend to be easier to pick off since they expose themselves for long.

But as you say, different styles for different occasions which speaks to a well designed weapon.
  10. pnkdth

The changes to, the ADS speed, had quite a substantial impact. As did the old reduction to Magrider movements, and so on. As I was playing VS at the time the drop in population was very noticeable. In terms of Server/Lane Smash VS went from sharing the top slot with NC to 2nd or even third choice (especially when the air balance was changed).

I would say it is rather pessimistic to believe only OP stuff will help VS get more appeal. It would be much more favourable to balance the magrider and weapons based on increased mobility. For instance having VS max rate of fire for LMGs be 698RPM and other things. Bit too late for that but yeah... A great deal which made VS interesting at launch have been phased out to the point where it is more of a gimmick. Doesn't mean VS got bad stuff, just stuff with little personality. This has improved though with heat mechanic. Something I wished they consider for all VS weapons (with obvious tweaking...).

For VS they've always had to come up with new ways and often it has ended up wrong but that is what happens when you introduced unique and never before tested stuff. Sadly it seems the community demands swift actions which leads to some serious overnerfs. When it came to light they originally were thinking of having this game as TR/NC only you can tell they sometimes didn't know what to do with VS.

But yeah, to say these changes didn't change much is ignoring what actually happened to VS in terms of population and faction identity.
  11. Blam320

Meanwhile, NC MAXes are uncontested anti-infantry and anti-MAX powerhouses, and are especially dangerous with what is essentially a faction-specific implant of their own (Salvage).

The Vanguard is still arguably the best MBT in the game.

The Mjolnir was overpowered for months, if not a full year

And the Gladius and Cyclone are tied for "Best ES SMG in the game".

Plus the Jackhammer exists, which is far better than the Lasher.
  12. Campagne

I think you'll find NC MAXes are highly contested. :p

Mjolnir has never been overpowered at all. Always been worse than the Vulcan and Aphelion and especially so now with the most recent Vulcan buff. Vanguard is also the worst tank and only succeeds when used in conjunction with the shield.

Gladius is hot garbage and Cyclone is overrated. Jackhammer is terrible now, post shotgun-changes. Easily the worse infantry shotgun behind the Magscatter.

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say you've probably never used any of these things before.
    • Up x 3
  13. HomicideJack

Kills with heat weapons.

i'd also like to point out to all the VS whiners that their weapons are by far not the worst. At least they have controllable recoil. TR guns, you really can't do anything about having the highest horizontal recoil across the board. And that's a fact, too. TR guns are hot garbage, with a few exceptions.
  14. Demigan

Dont forget the Starfall...
    • Up x 1
  15. Demigan

Yes! NC's MAX's are uncontested! Except by the TR and VS MAX's. They just get used more outside of their ideal scenario's BECAUSE THEY CAN. And th NC MAX cant. And I already commented on how a VS MAX can easily beat an NC MAX by fighting on this thing called "beyond 10m range" where NC MAX's become virtually useless. Oh you can equip slugs ofcourse but then you do have reduced your damage and almost guaranteed the VS/TR MAX to win... But hey people prefer to think of it as if everything happens in a slugmatch at 1m distance with non-moving targets right?

Vanguards are still arguably the worst. Before the shield and DPS nerf they were supposed to be the MBT vs MBT kings according to everyone, but each Magridee pulled got practically the same MBT kills as a Magrider. Then the Vanguard got his shield nerfed and the Magrider a higher DPS than the Vanguard and the Prowler his OP Barrage ability. Vanguard arguably the best my rear end.

Gladius the best SMG in the game? Prove it instead of letting bias speak for you. And no a stand-still slugmatch is no proof, show some performance stats that prove thr Gladius (and Cyclone) are the most OP SMG's.

And boohoo, a Heavy weappn is good in certain situations while the Lasher is good for others. Whoop dee doo VS is magically UP?
    • Up x 1
  16. Kristan

That's where you're wrong kiddo. Whenever I stumble at some VS infil with SMG it's always Canis with "no aim" ammo.
  17. Braneman

I would like you to look up the SABR-13, a rifle the TR have had for quite some time now.
  18. Pacster3

You know that this would sound less ridiculous if I wouldn't just auraxium another shotgun as VS and get HATETELLS by NC that shotguns are OP. Reading stuff like this here that sound like it is hard to make kills or to get in close range feel somehow out of place there... ;-)
    • Up x 1
  19. pnkdth

So everyone hates the other factions gear? Smells like balance.
    • Up x 1
  20. AlcyoneSerene

Mjolnir has been extremely overpowered to the point developers had to nerf it a bit recently.

Vulcan has been extremely underpowered for the longest time, and only since the recent buff that even the developers saw was needed did it become useful and actually powerful. I've been in a harasser using a pre-buff Vulcan with zero success since that thing was such junk for such a long time.

Gladius is grossly overpowered.