Vanu bias confirmed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by raffa2, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Demigan

Ah yes, trying to deflect again. So just because you can get in CQC with non-MAX shotgun and there are some people stupid enough to complain that VS shotguns are more powerful (just like there is some dude who paraphrase your exact sentiments but thinks that NC shotguns are OP) and magically the NC MAX is capable of teleporting around and being in CQC 100% of the time.

Cool story.

The point is that you are complaining that a shotgun, designed for CQC, is OP on a MAX in it's intended CQC range. In the meantime the TR/VS MAX's are barely any weaker than the NC MAX in CQC but they do have the range.
    What, you want the NC MAX to be just as good in CQC as the TR and VS? Then what's the use of a shotgun? You already sacrifice just about everything for a marginal advantage in CQC.

Again a bad story with bias to prove your point but no facts anywhere.
  2. That_One_Kane_Guy

Everyone who keeps calling the Gladius overpowered needs to please calculate it out and show their work because they're finding new ways to do math that no one has ever heard of before.

Also an amusing anecdote on NC MAXs:
    I was able to witness the destruction of an NC MAX Crash the other day as they tried to cross one of those little foot bridges on Amerish. I lit the whole mess up with spotters and my team caught them right as they were starting to cross. There were at least 20 MAXs and they died to an equivalent number of normal infantry in less than 60 seconds.
    • Up x 1
  3. Campagne

You've clearly never used any of those things either. :p
    • Up x 2
  4. Rydenan

Wow. Let's see:

1. ALL maxes are AI powerhouses. When was the last time you easily 1v1'd a dual-chaingun MAX as an infantryman?

2. Vanguard is also arguably the worst MBT in the game, thanks to it's bottom-tier DPS and the fact that it has some of the worst performance statistics of all the MBTs, according to stats.dasanfall.com.

3. Mjolnir may have been slightly OP, but it was nothing compared to, say, launch Gatekeeper or old PPA (both of which existed in their broken states for far, far longer). I think at best we can call this category a wash.

4. Gladius is simply not a great gun, statistically. It has worse DPS, worse bodyshot TTK, worse headshot TTK, worse aimed accuracy, worse hipfire accuracy, lower RoF, worse CoF bloom, smaller mag size, smaller damage-per-mag, and longer reload than other SMGs like Cyclone or Armistice. The only thing it has is faster bullet velocity with SPRW ammo. But even that has been nerfed by half now, even though it was already so useless that nobody ever equipped it.
    I'd suggest you use the weapons you post about before posting about them.. There's a reason there were zero Gladiuses used in the last Smash, but plenty of Cyclones and Armistices.

That being said, the Cyclone is certainly good. But it has also certainly been nerfed over the years, and now I would be extremely hesitant to call it "OP".

5. The Jackhammer is just a bad semi-auto shotgun. Seriously, the Pump-Actions, the Baron, the Full-auto SGs are all superior options to the JH and can be used on all classes to boot. Again, I'd suggest you give it a try once or twice.

Calling the Jackhammer "better" than the Lasher is like calling the Claymore "Better" than the Magrider. It makes no sense, they are completely different weapons with completely different roles. Personally, I prefer a unique AoE weapon option rather than a sub-par, uninteresting shotgun.
    Regardless, using the Jackhammer as evidence of an NC bias is just laughable.
    • Up x 3
  5. Rydenan

Not an automatic weapon though.
  6. Pacster3

First of all the PPA was just vs infantry and mounted on either a tank whose main cannon was bad compared to other MBTs and couldn't shoot at aircraft at all....or on a harasser, which meant that the harasser was helpless against anything but infantry. So it had some serious downsides. This was during a time when lolpods have been raining death anywhere and we had AV-turrets that could kill you from out of render distance. The whole gameplay was not compareable to today....there have been a LOT of OP things around. You pulled this out of context...and we are living now, not in the past.

Why can't you compare Jackhammer to lasher? If you compare starfall to the stuff the other factions got(which are completely different) then you can compare those 2 as well.
    The Jackhammer is a beast. That other shotguns are great(due to insane ttk and because most situations around capture points are perfect distance for shotguns) does not change that the Jackhammer is a great gun as well. It is definitely usable while the lasher is...ehm...let's be nice and call it a gimmick. ;-)
  7. pnkdth

Bolded. What did you expect? A near 900RPM weapon to have the same values to a 522RPM weapon? All these values are calculated per bullet. It also has a very low vertical recoil for its damage class, also quite a bit more reliable in terms of horizontal tolerance (but even so not super great). Hipfire/ADS accuracy in practice is pretty sweet for a SMG. From a mainly infiltrator perspective I'm a very happy camper with my Cyclone and Gladius (really strong on LA too). Don't get why people have to undersell it so much.

Similarly, this is the very reason TR are annoyed with the Lynx. Despite it being a 125DMG weapon with extreme ROF it is treated as a 143DMG carbine. Predictably it is one wild lil' carbine to control. The counter-argument is that it is supposed to be more of a SMG/Carbine hybrid but even with that it is straight up worse than both the GD-7F and Serpent which are supposed to fill the same role.

Though I suspect your main objection was Blam320 calling it OP you also told him in your post not to compare different kinds of weapons. Even though we are talking SMGs here, the various damage tiers tend to have certain stats so not to making them impossible or too easy to use. Gets kinda wonky when you start comparing across damage tiers.
  8. JibbaJabba

Pages and pages of discussion. It's amazing what contortions VS fans will go to rather than just admit something..

A faction specific implant came out with the latest update. Period.

Whatever balance issues do or do not exist elsewhere in the game does not change this. A faction specific implant came out with the latest update. It's not stronger or weaker with one faction or the other. It simply only works with one faction but not the others.

/shrug.

Is what it is guys. Stop bending like Neo trying to dodge the fact.
    • Up x 2
  9. Pacster3

No, 2 faction specific implants came out. I actually think the NC-Max one will see some play...don't think Cold Heart will actually be played. You need a headshot finish(which is only reliable with aimbot) and faster recovery and delay for 3 seconds still mean that you gonna have to stop shooting. If you stop shooting tho you likely have enough time to wair for another second as well. So I at least will definitely not use it...there are just better implants.
  10. Nuggz

Back when PS2 first dropped VS was a major zerg power house and as a VS at the time I hated it, which caused me to start an NC and TR character... Been NC main ever since. I've tried playing my VS lately but the utter lack of coordination, outside of a TWC2 platoon, causes me to get bored. I even try joining the non-English speaking squads/platoons in the hopes that I can follow waypoints if not understand what is said but usually it ends up being a squad/platoon in name only with members scattered all over the map and no waypoints. :(
  11. pnkdth

IIRC Emerald was the only server where VS were the big dogs on release. Well, other than the 4th faction ZOE attraction. On most other servers NC and TR were the main draw. That said, I started out on Miller VS and for the most part it has been a rough journey. For months we had like 18% global pop. Got so bad some TR/NC outfits actually switched over.

The 1st page discussed the implant. Also on page one, immediate highjacking of the thread by the same few who always post the same point in every thread there is. At some point you just gotta ask yourself, why do we always end up in the same cycle of discussing why NC gear is terrible? Why it is always the same people doing it.

So the OPs question, is bias in favour of VS confirmed? In light of all the nerfs, clearly not. I mean if this were to happen to the NC stuff they'd cry "OMG, BAIT AND SWITCH!!!! DEVS HATE NC!!!!" but nope, apparently it is awesome to get poorly balanced stuff which get hit with the nerf bat. Oh crap, I'm voicing slight annoyance over VS gear, must be that victim/inferiority complex...

I'd agree on the implant though. Hopefully we'll see more of them for each faction since apparently the infantry weapon traits is more of a guideline than a rule these days.
  12. Campagne

Despite just criticizing the discussion of exactly that, you're perpetuating exactly what has started the conversation.

The reason why it didn't take more than half a page to change course is because the answer to the OP is obvious: Yes, the Cold Heart implant is heavily biased in favour of the VS to the point where in all practicality the NC & TR cannot use it. Nothing more has to be said, that's the whole shebang.

In saying "oh, other Vanu weapons have been nerfed in the past so clearly there isn't any bias in favor of the VS" you are contradicting the main point of the thread. Moreso, the arguments presented don't exactly hold merit on an independent level so of course people are going to challenge them.

Suffice to say the argument being presented here as I understand it at least is that the Vanu aren't any worse off than the other two factions and even if they were it wouldn't somehow erase the cut-and-dry bias of the implant.
    • Up x 1
  13. NXR1

ZOE would like a word with you OP.
  14. LordKrelas

You mean ZOE, the thing that released OP, and was nerfed?
    Like the Gatekeeper?

Have you seen what has been released of late?
    Canis's original UA, which enlarged head hitboxes, with full head-shot multiplier; Vastly better than the two ES weapons released at the same time.
    The best Battle-rifle of the new ES Battle-rifles, released in the batch, was in VS's favor.
    In the LMG's, VS gained NC's best preforming LMG, with a clip size increase.
    In the Flash weapon release; VS gained a 3-burst Saron.
    TR received a flamethrower that kills itself, and NC gained a mortar with a min-range: the only min-range weapon released...

The new ES gear, heavily disagrees with Favor not being for VS.
    Let alone just mentioning ZOE, someone from TR can mention Gatekeeper, NC can mention their entire arsenal of shotguns that aren't stuck on a Max unit - or their Delayed-fire Sniper rifle.
  15. NXR1

Of the new battle rifles their specials were all complete trash and other than that they were copy pastes of each other
    NC won hard with the LMG's promise is the most broken gun in the game without any CoF or recoil its as easy as easy gets.
    I will however agree unstable ammo is kind of broken, the hitbox size should be reduced a bit.
    And starfall was only overpowered because it was bugged so it was firing far too fast, its intended stats made it just as potato as the other 2.

gatekeeper wasnt even overpowered on released but got nerfed into complete trash anyway because of the forum babies, and now gatekeeper is in a pretty good spot, and all shotguns except the jackhammer and scatter mag are copy and pastes of each other so NC cant exactly have worse shotguns than the others they are the exact same.
  16. Demigan

Why don't you, instead of defaming me with insults, prove it then?
  17. Demigan

Can you show me those numbers somewhere? Because I was there at launch, and the NC rarely ever got Tawrich Techplant. I didn't see Zurvan AMP station for the first 3 months of the game! If what you say is true, VS's toys were way, waaaaaaaaaaaay more OP than I ever imagined. Such as the Saron anti-tank sniper doubling as a 3-shot anti-infantry battle rifle (a good battle rifle), or the PPA being able to stop entire platoons by its lonesome. Ofcourse it had a lot to do with the layout of the southeast corner of Indar where VS had an easy time capping the mountains up top and using that to get to the canyons below.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be pointing out that NC is somehow complaining it's gear is terrible. But if you look at the first page you see it takes up to the 3rd post before a VS guy goes "but NC...", and then the NC correct him by pointing out that the NC MAX isn't all that powerful as he makes it out to be. From there the VS keep doing their "but NC..." and the NC guys keep pointing out that it's not true.

Aaaahw the poor wittle VS guys who get OP toys at first, then have them nerfed to something more reasonable (having it nerfed into the ground was an SOE thing). That's soooo bad for you! Oh noes! The NC would definitely (not) complain if it got some toys that were batcrap insane OP at first and then nerfed to a reasonable status.
    • Up x 1
  18. LordKrelas

One is an heat-based bullet-dropless high velocity rifle, that has a panic full-auto button.
    So it's not trash at all;
    Piercing Ammo is hit & Miss.

The Promise is a lower-velocity VS Gun; The MAW is an VS anchor with a larger magazine.
    The Canis's UA was stated to be OP, on the PTS, released anyway, and VS then defended having a head-shot enlarger.
    Starfall is still bloody potent;
    as well, You've used the NC one right?
    The one where it has a min-range requirement & massive drop?

Every shotgun was nerfed for all 3 sides;
    Which includes NC's specific ES shotguns; Or did you forget, we have quite a bloody few.
    Which are matched by unaffected ES weapons, on the other two sides.
    So our Shotguns attached to the everything were affected when shotguns were basically nerfed.
    • Up x 1
  19. Zak Preston

Never liked Spiker... perhaps it's a matter of preferences.

at distances up to 120-150 meters no bullet drop is a complete non-factor. Even at 200m distance it's kinda negligible, so the only weapon types that get any decent benefit are semi-auto scout\battle\sniper rifles and Phaseshift.

It has a ~1.5-2 sec spinup, which is critical in 1v1 engagements. I'm used to shoot with bursts. so Canis for me is the worst SMG possible.

Gladius looks like a carbine with high damage over distance degradation rate. Maybe this is why it's the most favorite weapon of NC CQC infils. The horizontal recoil is negligible and a vertical one is extremely easy to control. The gun feels extremely natural to me and I would gladly swap any VS SMG with Gladius.

Cyclone has the highest DPM of all 1st gen SMGs, the horizontal recoil is kinda negligible, so it's extremely easy to compensate the vertical one. To make things even worse, Cyclone has a very short reload time, so that the combination of all these factors make it the best SMG in the game.
    http://iridar.net/af-4-cyclone-highly-technical-weapon-guide/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside..._highly_technical_weapon_guide_truth/dajvufi/

It was overnerfed to the point that a brand new SMG suddenly becomes THE WORST ES SMG released yet.
    • Up x 1
  20. pnkdth

Yes, when a weapon is presented as one thing and changed into another it is not fun. Sorry this is hard to grasp. I realise it can get grating when people defend broken stuff but I do not think I've ever seen anyone of any faction say, "yeah, you're right. I'm not as good as I thought... Damn, this needs to be nerfed." That said, still doesn't change the fact you and the usual suspects tend to swarm people thus making it that much more apparent.

I do not have any data from that time and I agree that the game improved a lot when they started rotating WGs. I did start going through old posts though. Nostalgia hitting, back in the days us Miller VS jokingly played "Horde Mode." We were always going to lose but it was quite a lot of fun to see just how long we could hold onto a building (if there is any DWG Millerites left, <3 ).

Speaking of the 0.75x nerf here's a thread from a TR player wondering why all of the sudden TR got a pop boost, kinda funny people actually said TR had a victim complex back then. ; https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/tr-miller-bandwagon.239063/#post-3371444
    Notable quote;
    "Currently Miller pop at 21h (primetime):
    VS - 22%
    TR - 42%
    NC - 36%
    nice."

There are threads on the 2013 era but I haven't been able to find much detail other than at the time TR had like 50%+ pop and both VS/NC struggling. Miller VS hasn't really had a smooth ride, just as Emerald VS pretty much was "Vanuside" for a long time. If you are interested it isn't that hard to find.