Stealth nerf to Carv and Carv-S

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Manhattan, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Manhattan

This sounds like exactly what's happening.

My shots are accurate, my bullets are hitting (I get hit indicators), but I don't seem to be doing any damage. It's like I'm firing blanks. I don't know why it seems specific to the Carv-S, though. I've switched to the TMG and the Bull and seem to be doing okay with those. But if I switch back to the Carv-S, my hits seem like they're having no effect at all.
  2. SirRonaldParpington

I played HA exclusively. I had sunk 50+ hours into the game and nearly all my certs into TR HA because I felt it was the only effective troop that TR had (Light Assault will be great if / when the jet bugs are fixed).

The recoil and bullet spread have increased significantly on the CARV and CARV-S. Full auto is not an option any more at anything over 10m. Trying to inflict some pain on Scythes and Reapers with any of the LMGs is practically impossible now. Where I might land 20 - 25% of a mag on a moving target before, now I'm lucky to get 5%.

The reason everyone was using the CARV was because it was one of the few weapons that is actually effective on TR. Combine that with HA being the only effective Anti-Armour role available to most TR players (Liberator + Dalton being the other), the rate of incidence is naturally going to be higher. It's ok though, let's nerf the only vaguely useful thing that TR have. If you feel like you need to hit a midget, go hit one. Good for you.

Before the patch I would not have a problem getting a positive K/D over the course of a night. I am a reckless player and like to get in and do the dirty work to make it easier for my team (1on1 with tanks etc.), just to quantify this.
    Since the patch, I'm lucky to hit 0.8 K/D. The increased weapon switch time should be factored into this, but I find myself losing a much larger proportion of infantry encounters than I did before.

tl;dr SoE have punched a midget at the whiners request.
  3. MalDeus

LOL!
  4. Doogle

What I have found surprising is how much of an impact bullet velocity can have on a weapon, the carv only dropped from 620 to 600 but it has had an impact on medium to long range encounters by a noticeable margin.

I switched to the T16 and do much better outdoors with this and HV dispite it being 98rpm less than the carv.

My only peeve with the T9 change is the fact that it was a stealth nerf and that the orion still has 615 along with all the other bonuses such as accuracy+ads movement speed...the best LMG by far atm.

Also the Carnage BR is now THE assault rifle, dunno how long it will take NC to quit whining and realise this though.
  5. DerpyHooves

Noticed a great difference between the post release carv of beta and post patch carv. However I do not use it often as I prefer the tmg-50. Alot of people in my outfit also noticed a difference.
  6. Kardes

Looking at the weapon data the big change seems to be that the Carv-s got a reduction in bullet velocity....

It was taken from 620 to 600. The damage seems the same....If anybody has the old spreadsheet from last week that would be great.... as I edited mine ... doh!

It looks like a change was made to the horizontal recoil not the vertical.....

Can someone confirm this with what I am seeing?

Kinda wish we had more exact patch notes. I have no problem with changes.... just wish they told us exactly what was going on.
  7. SirRonaldParpington

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks it's mostly worthless now.
    I've not spent any money on the game and do not have access to any of the alternative LMGs. I've tried out the Mini Chaingun over the double XP weekend to see if it was worth unlocking (It's not).

I feel the same Kardes, if they're going to nerf things they should probably give us a little bit of a heads-up of incoming changes and tell us exactly what was done. This has the additional benefit for players to test the changes and make sure they weren't accidently broken (missing a decimal place for instance).

Having sunk most of my certs into the HA class and the stock CARV, I feel like I have to spend money on the game to unlock the other guns, attempt to grind up using the appalling new CARV or just uninstall the game and wash my hands of it until the balance, bugs and change management have been worked out.

I'm doing the latter. God Speed TR brothers.
  8. Warthog

The reason everyone used the CARV was because unlike the NCs starting weapon its good enough that you don't need to upgrade. its better than most upgrades in TR and other empires. in short its OP. My K/D with a CARV is much higher than my K/D with a SAW and i have less attachments for the CARV.

Carnage BR is a GR-22 with different reload times, ammo capacity and fires 50 rpm slower.

NC TR just need to learn to control recoil, this isn't call of duty.
  9. Hyllan

I went ahead and looked through the CARV/CARV-S stats in a little more in depth, and they did indeed receive a small increase to horizontal recoil (0.2 → 0.225). Other than that and the slightly decreased bullet speed on the CARV-S, both guns are identical to pre-patch values.
    • Up x 2
  10. SirRonaldParpington

I agree. It would be fine if it worked as an LMG actually does (Reasonable at short range, good at medium, pretty terrible at long range) except it's now just terrible at medium and long ranges, and 'ok' at short range. At no point is it suppressive or menacing.
  11. Doogle

No it isnt, its recoil pattern is way better, its just straight up better than the T1 cycler in every stat also has better upgrades, best AR by far. rpm isnt everything, hence why I dont use the TRV.
  12. Kardes

Ok, Yes so we can say this.

CARV
    Horizontal recoil: → 0.225 (Up by .2)

CARV-S
    Horizontal recoil: → 0.225 (Up from .2)
    Bullet Speed: 600 (down from 620)

Not a huge change... but I understand how small changes can completely ruin the "feel" of a gun.

Thanks, for the extra set of eyes hyllan!
  13. Kyutaru

Understatement. The CARV is now the worst LMG on TR side. New pecking order is MSW-R > T32 Bull > TMG-50.

If you want a similar replacement to the CARV, just use the T32 Bull.
  14. KnightCole

OMFG, whatever the hell they did to the CARV REALLY made it ****...........
  15. KnightCole

Wouch, seriously? So they did jack up the Recoil on the thing?

So now the CARV is a fast firing, no damage, no accuracy Gauss SAW.....Great...so now it really is ****, and it shows.....All goddamn day, the nerfs have been showing through for me......ive been losing heaps of 1v1s because of this BS nerf...

The CARV did not need a RECOIL nerf....my god....it only wins through RoF...now it has RoF, but it doesnt have accuracy.....now its utterly worthless beyond like barrel end....

FUUUUuuuu...I need 34 more kills and im DONE with the CARV, but FFFFUUUUUU this nerf is making those last 34 kills seem like the 999 i counted down from.....

What did they do to the T16..did THAT get nerfed as well!? Cuz thats what im moving on to....fuuuuu...
  16. W01fe

KnightCole its nothing like the gaus saw, im confused.

The damage thing is either a combination of changes that indirectly and directly effect (lag or netcode issues, inability to compensate for the added recoil) or something bugged as people are reporting less damage on it too.

im glad its no longer the BEST gun for TR and TR neds choices, im unhappy with an apparent overnerf tho.

imo there shouldnt be a gun that performed all round as well as the pre-nerf carv. guns have roles,a nd if you have a all rounder it needs to be slightly worse then the specialized guns.
  17. Kyutaru

They didn't touch the T16, but the T16 has always been after the TMG-50 in potential. It's just more accurate while on fullauto, the TMG-50 has higher damage for headshots.

The new T32 Bull has made the T16 obsolete. You can still use the T16 if you hate horizontal recoil or if you fancy using a suppressor, but the T32 has nearly identical kill speed to the MSW-R while being much more accurate. The MSW-R still wins by a small margin and it has higher ROF for CQC, but the attachments on the T32 just make it lethal at midrange.

The T32 Bull is the new best gun, in my opinion.
  18. KnightCole

Well, the CARV, it was not really an all rounder. It was a CQC GOD. Its mid-long range capability is lacking, due to low at range damage, recoil and bullet spread. Really, its only good if you catch a guy around a corner, fire till he drops...even then, it loses quite often due to the low damage. CARV now, which goes back to my Gauss SAW comparison, is just a high recoil noise maker, minus the 167dmg.

I will use the T16 now and see what I think of it. So far, it seems like the damage on it is very low for some reason...28 rounds to kill an LA, while the CARV usually only took like 18 or so.
  19. StormFrog

T9 CARV -- Horizontal Recoil increased from 0.2 to 0.225

T9 CARV-S -- Projectile Speed reduced from 620 to 600 m/s, Horizontal Recoil increased from 0.2 to 0.225

Damage and rate of fire for these guns remains unchanged.

Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=22
  20. StormFrog