SOE are breaking a pledge to the community with their inaction on ADAD Macros

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phazaar, Apr 26, 2013.

1. The King

This doesn't seem to happen at all unless there are so many people in the same areas causing lag.
    From watching these videos, I don't see the problem.
    Also, I doubt many people are actually using some sort of macro to macro A and D over and over again with some sort of special timing.

Oh, for the one video that said this is the real main cause of complaint, if you just put your crosshair in the middle of the person, the person would easily die. Don't follow since they're not moving too far apart.
  2. Llaf

I do this all the time without a macro, since constantly moving has become a habit due to the constant threat of being instagibbed. I've often been able to literally dodge bullets, even at close range, strafing side to side, and have come across many other players who have dodged my bullets using the same maneuver. While it is a lifesaving technique that will exponentially increase your survivability, it is exploitative in nature(due to lag, poor netcoding, etc) and would almost fall into the category of cheating if it were not for nearly everyone doing it. It takes a lot less skill than it does muscle memory for people who do not use a macro and simply spam ADAD manually.

Now before people go and rip me apart for being an ADAD spammer, let me simply state that the only reason I take advantage of this flawed game mechanic is because I've been forced to. It is human nature to adapt and so in order to cope with the many other players doing this, I've taken to doing it as well just to keep up. Personally I am very in favor of getting this fixed, as even though I do this myself, going against others who do it is almost always extremely frustrating. Your sights seem to be set straight on the target and none of your rounds hit, very very frustrating indeed.

I think the best fix for this is to add more realistic acceleration/momentum when moving from side to side(what that would equate to in actual numbers, your guess is as good as mine). As it stands, every character is pretty much leagues ahead of the best athletes when it comes to agility, as the speed it is possible to strafe back and forth is, quite simply, beyond human capability, and very very difficult to follow when ADS. Factor poor hit detection + coding, and the biggest one of all, lag, into the equation, and you have become Neo from the matrix.
    • Up x 1
  3. Jachim

Dude, the video shows a guy dying to someone who was strafing.

Welcome to every FPS ever made. Ever.

Yes, he was lagging a bit. There are five other videos on this very thread showing people strafing /without/ the minor warping you're seeing there.

What is with you using 'ADADAD' anyway, it's call strafing. I've played basically every FPS that's came out since Quake 2. This game isn't going to become the ultra-realistic game you want obviously. There is another game out there perfectly fit for you.

It's called Arma 3, and it's going to rock.

Also cut the childishness, really. You're not helping yourself here.
  4. Tekuila

People said the same thing about bunny hopping.
    • Up x 1
  5. INFP

And what happened with bunny hopping?
  6. Tekuila

Can't hit he broad side of a barn when you jump and shoot now.

Which is good.
  7. INFP

As it should be.
  8. Tekuila

This strafing trickery needs to be fixed as well. Obviously strafing has always been in fps games but it doesn't affect the game like this usually. Just needs a fix like bunny hopping.
    • Up x 2
  9. Jachim

I have to at least somewhat agree that the MMO style of this game and its general size makes for difficulty stabilizing latency and must rely on client assumtions too much, but really, the examples given here are absurd.

I assume people want strafing to be slowed, so that when you go directly from hitting the D key to the A key, you slow briefly before reversing direction, but honestly...

Where does it stop? I don't want to sound like some conservative old fart here, but really, must we remove ALL vestiges of skill from this game? Not to say strafing is the single most skillful thing, but there are strategies that set good players from the bad, and it's one of them.
  10. Tekuila

Your position is obviously understandable. I don't come across many people doing this but when I do it is pretty infuriating and is exactly the kind of thing that will make people quit the game and that isn't good for anyone.

I honestly do not know how they would go about fixing it but I do honestly still believe that one is required. As more people find out about it; more and more people will abuse it until it is an epidemic just like the bunny hopping with the NV scope was. Next thing you know you will have to do it just to compete.

I'm not entirely sure I would agree with doing this as being "skillful" play though. But that's my opinion.
  11. McChimperson

Adding the physical concept of momentum would fix all of this. If toons had to accelerate instead of changing directions instantly all you'd see is a wiggling idiot instead of a teleporting quasi-cheater.
    • Up x 3
  12. BH Brigade

Please fix this, it's not as huge a deal at long range, as their CoF gets messed up and you can, if nothing else, spray bullets at them till they die, but at short range (I'm looking at you tower fights) it's awful.
    • Up x 2
  13. EvilNinjadude

You keep using that word... I think what we're looking for is "Intertia".

Yes, strafing ideally involves skill, and I don't like seeing skill taken away from this game. What I don't want to see is game becoming an exploitation competition. Wasn't there a bug in CoD that made you invisible while reloading or something? Does knowing and applying it in the average game count as SKILL?

No, it goes against the mechanics the game is based around, unlike other things like Rocket jumping which simply bend the mechanics, and which can be countered. Strafing to avoid bullets is fine. It's NOT if it's done to distort the game-detected hitbox and stop the enemy from applying his OWN skill (engaging and shooting correctly) to counter it.
    • Up x 3
  14. INFP

That's the thing. Who here actually knows what their avatar appears like on another persons screen when they're in PS2? Very few. It's not something people are doing as an exploit. It's like you said, they do it to dodge bullets. But people say it's an exploit because it confuses the interpolation on the client and the hitbox is wrongly positioned.

This is by no means the only game this has happened in. CS was a prime example of a game which at least during some if not all parts of its evolution had bad hitboxes. How was it solved? Latency got lower and the netcode was tweaked. But before that was done people just adapted.

People talking about putting inertia into the strafing......that might work in more "realism" (and I lose the term very loosely) games but in this one it's just going to lead to clunky(er) behaviour and a less enjoyable experience overall,

PS: You get a similar problem with light assaults who are airbourne. What you going to do? Remove the jetpack ability?
  15. Ender

I call that exploiting vulnerabilities In the netcode via strafing, not strafing itself
    Umm, no. I didn't expect to kill them all. The tower just flipped, I was going for a couple cheap kills. That's not even the point of the post nor did I start a thread to whine. I went back through my VoD's and drug up this encounter with Mr. Pro Push-Button Aim/Speed to show people what this adad crap looked like in a game situation.

BTW, I hate CoD, played it until I realized how pointless "prestige" was. I also didn't get into CS that much. I'm aware you die in Planetside.. a lot. I played PS1 forever, I lead my outfit DasAnfall and sacrifice a lot of kills/points etc to find good targets so everyone has fun and to secure important areas. Please tell me more about my whining, now you've got my attention.

OH I'm sorry, wait did you say I missed? Here i'll slow it down for the people who were blessed with brains that don't quite work as fast as most others.

Would you like me to zoom in for you as well so you can watch the pellets go through his un-shielded head as he magically warps spaces. Apparently i'm all upset because my NOOB Cannon isn't effective against strafing players, but then again you also can't see him strafing so you're either 1. Blind or 2. Mentally challenged. Want to know which one my bet's on? I posted this as evidence, I did not start a thread on it. Think i'm a terrible player? Please, lets compare stats ( I bet my kills show up as being spread across a multitude of weapons and vehicles). Let's compare outfits. Let's compare anything.

Keep telling me I don't know what i'm talking about.... oh and by the way, please link your player stats and time played in your sig without commenting about how, "that doesn't have anything to do with this," other than proving how much you've been in game and experienced gameplay dynamics etc etc etc.

Lag some of you say? I challenge you to log on while Nivx or NivxNC is online and USE A CARBINE against him.... assuming he lets you within 60m of him that is. The times when he's nice and doesn't turn his press-button skill on he's uses this dandy little feature. There are others on Mattherson that abuse this too. Lag, uh huh. The density being shown here blows my ******* mind.
    • Up x 2
  16. INFP

So your shot didn't register as a hit, once. Welcome to the world of online gaming. The guy comes up the stairs....decides he wants some cover, reverses, then comes back up because he doesn't want to stop moving and be an easy target. Then rinses and repeats. You land one hit, but it doesn't register for whatever reason. Then you come here and cry that movement mechanics that have been around in FPS games since year dot are broken.

What do you say Arnie?

[IMG]
  17. Nyscha

You seem ********, do you seriously not know what the strafing exploit does? It disconnects the players hitbox from their body so even if you spray them with a AI max NOTHING will hit because it bugs the hitboxes out.

Move along smacktard.
    • Up x 2
  18. Ender

Obviously, you didn't actually read or understand the point behind the post. Maybe you just wanted to add a post, because you're a super cool kid that wants to share his opinion on a gameplay mechanic and its relation to SOE saying this wouldn't happen. Oh wait, nope, you didn't add anything relevant. Good job. "Land one hit, that doesn't register, for whatever reason...," that reason just happens to be the point of this thread? Or did you just jump to the last page, watch the video, and then decide that you'd execute of a narrative of the play by play for everyone who didn't feel like watching?

Thanks for helping make Planetside 2 a better game INFP! I look forward to your future contributions!
    • Up x 3
  19. TintaBux

Real game breaker sadly.
  20. EvilNinjadude

Well said Ender. INFP you make some good points and some truly horrible ones.
    Your reply to me was a good point. Netcode was tweaked and the Issue was fixed, and until it happened people had to deal with it... and never stopped reminding everyone that it needed to be done. Because it DID need to be done because that's not the way it works. Remember when in beta when while repairing and healing you had to aim at a singular point 1.5 feet to the top left of the structure you were repairing? It didn't make any sense, was not intended, made the game worse... and it was fixed.

Your reply to the other post was silly because it sounded like you forgot every point you made that far. This is about people exploiting netcode.

PS: However there doesn't seem to be an EXTREME difference here, the exploiters seem to be just at the far end of a sliding scale. I tried it: Move forwards while engaging: 10% success chance. Stand still while firing: 20% success chance. Move sideways while firing: 40% success chance. Strafe left and right: 60% success chance. Strafe left and right FAST: 75% success chance. I assume that those who take it a step further will be even further along.

Final Note: It becomes a problem when it's no longer the opponent that is being outplayed through superior tactics, but the game.
    • Up x 1