SOE are breaking a pledge to the community with their inaction on ADAD Macros

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phazaar, Apr 26, 2013.

1. iller

yeah but those players can't just realease their lagswitch the instant it suits them so they're even further up **** creek than we are when it comes to actually hitting anything. (well... until flamethrowers get added atleast)

And speaking of W+m1, I find it funny that I've never once had this issue in a source game. Sure the old bunny hop used to reign supreme there but actual hit registry always worked there and when it didn't work well enough, there was several Interpolation values we were allowed to change to make sure we DID hit these "dancin' fools". The way we see it working here just proves that SOE did this big overly complicated projectile simulation for nothing. The hackers can still use nospread and cheatengine to basically ignore base spread/trajectories and just teleport the bullets directly to your hitbox.
    • Up x 2
  2. EvilNinjadude

Greetings from the EU. As for myself, I think people would be quite upset if the ol' Blow and Sting didn't work. I mean, you may argue that it won't be missed if it never happened, but I mean things like The Degreaser and the Axtinguisher could never have been added as viable weapons without the actually rather neat melee detection in Source games. And, of course, player collision.

Planetside2<Tribes:Ascend<TF2 in terms of accurate realtime melee detection with decent range. (Of course just increasing range on melee in Planetside would cause issues to warp-knifing, so I'd rather have the code optimized first if possible :D)
    • Up x 2
  3. Zorro

Although side-strafing and bunny-hopping are necessary close-quarters tactics, I agree. Moving side-to-side should not be so sudden and it should not mess up hitboxes.
    • Up x 3
  4. Phazaar

I've also played every FPS since I first got a computer of my own in 1997. As stated, I've really enjoyed a lot of the arcade style moments where an exploit is the basis of gameplay.

Completely worthless argument.

I use ADADAD, to differentiate so people like you don't accuse me of suggesting you should immediately stop every time you enter combat. I've no problem with moving from left to right, even back again after. The problem is the superhuman ability to traverse at 60mph in each direction, and the associated warping it causes. This doesn't happen in properly coded games. People move from left to right and right to left at the same speed as they would move from left to right and right to left if they just held D or A respectively.

I'm not interested in ultra-realistic gameplay. I'm interested in fun. Exploiting bugged movement mechanics/netcode is not fun, just like it wasn't fun when the exploit was 'Spam Spacebar whilst using an IRNV scope'; that got fixed too.
    • Up x 1
  5. Garantine

ITT: People complaining as if they are the only victim of something that effects nearly everyone equally, except in the rare case that it is being abused, just like the plethora of other glitches and bugs in the game.

Nothing but QQ, all day all night on these forums.
  6. EvilNinjadude

And that's what it boils down to. Skill, teamplay experience and reward should ALL factor into fun, and fun should be what keeps us in the game.

That's one reason I don't like trolls: They often keep a lot of people from playing properly as a team and/or ruin the experience, or make playing unrewarding through exploits... which in turn makes the game less fun for everyone else.

This is also why DEAL WITH IT is not an acceptable solution to improving the game. It's not skill based and adds nothing to the game... therefore its removal is a good thing. I can't answer for all other stuff that people are "whining" about: If they are right or wrong, or a mixture of both -- but stuff like this? I think the game would be better without it.
    • Up x 1
  7. EvilNinjadude

Funny you should say that, I was just posting a comment.
    ITT:Trolls.

I'm gonna counter your argument because I got nothing better to do:
    I'm not the only victim of this. Also, cheap kills based on stuff that shouldn't be in the game are less rewarding to the killer than they are absolutely frustrating, see also H4X.

QQ should be a term used by experienced players against those who feel that a change is needed based on their subjective experience of balance, most of the time.
    QQ is actually a term used by trolls in order to stop people trying to improve the game.
    • Up x 1
  8. Garantine

Not sure what your point was exactly, but that's okay.

Most of the people complaining about this are making it out to be a negative thing that effects them more often than not, when for all they know, they might have victimized someone with it themselves in the past by harmlessly trying to avoid being shot.

Does it need to be fixed? Yeah, sure. Is it actually impacting game balance in a widespread and noticeable way? No, not at all. To say it is really is simply dramatizing the situation.

People can strafe and the game's net code isn't perfect despite having such talented and dedicated devs that are completely interested in providing us with a stable, bug free product, more so than just releasing weekly cash sinks. ./end sarcasm
  9. Tekuila

I thought I recognized that name, that explains a lot.
  10. INFP

I'm not trying to make PS2 better, I'm trying to stop it getting worse.
    Part of what makes PS2 actually good FPS wise is that they stuck to the principles that make a fun arcade style FPS. They didn't put in horrible inertial physics for the movement that just makes you feel constrained. I'm all for them tweaking the netcode but in a game this huge you're going to have interpolation problems, there's just too much going on for the game to calculate everything 100% accurately.

This problem doesn't only occur with people strafing (which btw you will have done yourself at one time or another whether you realised it or not), it occurs when people are falling/jetpacking, flying esf's or swerving at speed with vehicles.

The reason for the trollesque responses is that you and others seem to be missing the point that a netcode fix is needed instead of ridiculous clunky acceleration modifiers or some other kind of flow breaking mechanic. You also fail to realise that people will at one point or another have cursed your name for doing the same thing, because everyone who is decent on the ground will be using their movement to dodge the enemies fire and naturally gravitate towards what works best.

Oh and finally, calling people exploiters, lamers and cheats for doing something as fundamental as moving in an FPS game is just....what was it you called people who didn't grasp your points? Slow brained.
  11. EvilNinjadude

Now that's an interesting turn! I love it when conversations take a serious turn.

As to the "hacking" thing: Referring to posters talking about people making Macros to take advantage of the bad code.

Inertia is one way to fix the problem; but elsewhere I once saw someone discuss realism versus fun. Good controls are fun, was one of their points. And in that case I really feel that I should agree with you despite feeling left out because with my PC, in most cases, I feel like my FPS rate is proportional to my effectiveness and inversely proportional to my inertia, meaning none of what I see will ever give me the full picture. That's why I'm trying to take into account as many reasonably presented opinions as I possibly can.

Netcode fixing is kinda hard though, isn't it? Wow, this is totally like Economics, where the Inertia argument is demand-side policy and improving netcode is Supply-side policy... with all attached implications.:eek:
  12. INFP

I have no idea if it's hard, but I assume it is, mainly because if it wasn't it would be done already. But it would fix outstanding issues with hitreg that exist in alot of situations outside of just strafing fast (basically any quick change in direction does it to some degree).

You make the economics analogy. Here's another one. This is like a room in a house being constructed and the light switch being in the wrong place. Then a team of architects comes along and instead of asking for the light switch to be moved they instead rip down all the walls and rebuild a more awkward and less pleasing room around it so it looks like its in the right place. That's what adding clunky movement physics will do to this game.

The metagame in this is not working well. The vehicle balance is in question all the time. There's almost constant calls for nerfs to weapons. The one thing they have got very right in this game is the fundamental FPS principles that have lead to it actually being enjoyable to play. To modify that foundation for such a non-issue could ruin this game.

Oh and as for the macros thing. That was a false assumption that was made. This "issue" can be done just by pushing the buttons on your keyboard, no special software or hardware is required. The argument that this is the same as bunnyhopping with an IRNV scope does not apply as that was simply modifiers that apply to all scopes being somehow left off that one. It also meant you *had* to use that particular scope to do it. Basically intent was required. This on the other hand you will do if you use movement to dodge, regardless of how hard you try not to (especially if you have experience with other arcade style FPS games).

I'm all for the root of the problem being fixed, but not for a foundation the game was built on to be changed in a bad way.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ender

"You aren't trying to make it better, you're trying to stop it getting worse." Uh, okay. Sports teams that play not to lose instead of playing to win, usually lose. I think that analogy is appropriate for the statement? If you're all for the tweaking of net-code then why did you reply to my post calling me a whiner? "Seem to be missing the point that a net-code fix is needed instead of...." Really???? Now the reason you ever replied to me is because of something I never said? Because nowhere did I claim anything about acceleration modifiers or anything other than net-code exploiting. I even said ( In the other thread), i'm not sure which fix I believe in, devs call, but to assume I missed the point of it being net-code is just ridiculous since that's the only thing I really mentioned.

I'm beginning to think you don't actually play this game much or the other servers are actually that different from Mattherson as far as gameplay goes. If you can't tell the difference between someone strafing normally and having them warp a bit and someone that has it macro'd then you don't have much experience with it. End of story. They are completely different and it's noticeable. If you haven't experienced it I could see why you're having trouble understanding NivX's actions in that video. Does it happen super frequently? No, it doesn't. It's not the end of the world, but that's where things like this get their start. Eventually, if it is allowed to continue more and more players will adopt it. It will become commonplace, then you'll see it show up on your server. Then, it'll be copied en masse.

Also please link your player stats so I can see your in-game time. I wan't to know that someone with actual experience has been trying to troll me and not someone that's got a few days gameplay total. Yes, it's completely relevant to this conversation.
  14. INFP

My in game name is combover. I've got nearing 10 days of play time. My KDR is 2....but it's more like 1.5 since I've been using ESFs alot recently.
    I've also been playing FPS games in general, for longer than I want to admit.

I have never specfically noticed the issue you have talked about on woodman. But not because its not being "used" but because its a staple of all arcade FPS games since doom and is therefore a non-event.

Oh and playing to lose instead of playing to win. Isn't that what you're doing by not using your movement to the full?
  15. Ender

You have nearing 9 days and that's rounding up (1/3rd of it being in a mossie alone). I have around 44 days and that's rounding down. You have never specifically noted the issue....... because woodman isn't as populated and you've got about 5 times less time played total.

Do you not agree that if you played on a generally more active server and quintupled your total time played, you would have probably experienced more odd things/quirks, more things in PS2 in general, more fights, more player interactions, and have gained a more acute sense for things that are, "off"? Or are you the type that is so arrogant as to assume playtime means nothing in a game like this? Or have I just been half-asleep in all this time i've been playing?

Great you've been playing FPS games in general, like almost every other single person registered on these forums. As if none of the other fps players have seen this magical strafing thing before.

Are you really serious about not using your movement to the full?? Does it look like i'm standing still in the video? Look at my twitch videos of recent gameplay, does it look like I stand still a lot and then blame my deaths on the other person? It's my fault if I stand still, I agree. But if you think abusing net-code is, "using movement to the full," then no, it's not what i'm doing because i'm not going to exploit a net-code issue to increase my chances of living. Then again, you really don't have the in-game experience required to tell the difference between strafing and blatant macroing to abuse the net-code. Please come back when you have at least 10 more days played.
    • Up x 1
  16. INFP

Way to win, claim I'm not "experienced" enough because I *only* have 200+ hours of game time.

If you have played other FPS games for any length of time you will know of this technique and you'd already be able to beat it. The whole time in that vid the player walked sideways, very predictably. The "exploiter" dodged you and you lost to the netcode. I highly doubt there was any intent there to exploit anything other than the guy who has committed suicide by overcommitting to a fight he (by his own admission) said he didn't expect to win.

BTW....that guy on the stairs. No macro, just movement. Stairs are an even bigger ball ache for the interp cos thy add in a 3rd dimension of movement.
  17. Ender

You have no idea what you're talking about because you've never experienced it. It's obvious at this point I can't lend you my experience though. Please come to Mattherson and experience, "NivX." 200 hours is not that much time for this game, but your 200 hours must be so much more meaningful than my 1,000 hours. However do you accomplish so much in so little time sir, please tell me your ways! I like how you assume your 200 hours is so meaningful and you know exactly what's going on when multiple BR100's and other higher ranked players have mentioned the adad macro issue. But you have so much background on it they really just don't know what they're talking about! L2P BR100's you bad!

I do play other FPS though, usually for extended lengths of time, thanks. I find it extremely ironic that you say your 200 hours means so much as to give you the background qualifying you on the subject, then go on to say, "if you've played other fps for any length of time," as if your past gaming experience is some great qualifer as well, but my quintuple time played in ps2 is not a qualifier and i'm just whining? Am I the only one who see's the massive hypocrisy in this?

I didn't realize you were at NivX's place when he was doing that. You guys must be best buds since you know for sure he wasn't macroing. Man I wish I was you. Then i'd be cool and in the know. I'm only adding to the degeneration of this thread you insist has a clear cut answer though. I'll stop now, you win NivX's best bud with your awe inspiring gameplay experience.

Regardless, Sony will do the right thing eventually, you probably won't be playing then though. Would you like an email of it when it happens?
    • Up x 1
  18. INFP

Point is if you had a decent background in FPS games you would: 1) Realise theres no macro or automated exploit being used in this instance. 2) This issue has been around in just about every title since lag compensation was introduced to netcode. 3) It would have ceased being an issue to you since the late 90's 4) You would move better.

Alan Hanson might not play much footballl anymore but he stills knows his stuff.
  19. Blashemer

ITT: I love Ender. I may be TR, but DA/Ender has my respect.

Also: For those who don't know what a "ADAD macro" is or even a "macro" itself, I'll show you. I'll try to keep this layman level.

http://gyazo.com/da3f59921c1c5878a0cbcfa273c42cf9

That is a program (which comes as a Windows update, or so it did for me) that allows you to edit your keyboard settings. My keyboard, the Windows Sidewinder X4, comes with 6 side keys able to be turned into anything. I can set S1 to * on the number pad, so I don't have to reach as far for it. I can set it to "Ctrl + Alt + F" to begin video capturing if I so pleased without actually having to hit those three keys. I'm but a simple boy, though. So I'll set it to this:

http://gyazo.com/c3424e31afc8ab32ffac70b3a9642377

For 50 milliseconds A will be "pressed" followed by a 30 millisecond pause, followed by D "pressed" for 50 ms with another 30 ms pause, and so forth. If you look at the bottom, my keyboard features a repeat option. What does that mean? It means that once I press "S1" on my keyboard, my character will forever move left (A) and right (D) in an extremely rapid manner until I press S1 again.

This is why people get upset. I takes away your need to even press A and D, whilst you have full control of the rest of your keys. Effectively, I could strafe, jump, reload, aim, and shoot in a very comfortable and unskilled manner.

I do not support it. Because reasons.
    • Up x 1
  20. INFP

I agree that if people are using that then it is a problem and they should be banned. That's a combined hardware/software macro. However the guy in the video posted by ender was not. He was strafing up and down a set of stairs.