Rendering distance of players is a BIG JOKE !

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PlayerOneSVK, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Sparks

I had so much fun wondering why people were telling me the tech plant was full of VS and me not seeing any at all and suddenly 100s of VS rendered in front of me when I got within 5m of them.
  2. Iceflame

Ha ha, so true. It's really funny how people come to troll the OP and say get a better rig while all of them are being completely ignorant and uninformed regarding the issue.
    • Up x 1
  3. AdamantK9

In intense battles at bio labs or other facilities I am having this issue quite bad.. it's especially horrible coupled with the fact that for some reason when piloting my reaver I cannot discern hostile targets because their indicators are not showing. I can see friendly indicators but no red hostile triangles.

I can't tell you how many times I've flown near the landing pad of a base in my reaver and didn't see ANY infantry till the nose of my reaver was about to hit the edge of the landing pad. Most of all for god knows what reason they are able to see me well before then- thank goodness for decoy flares or else I'd be completely toast.
  4. maxiedaniels

Yea. Honestly, this is an amazing game, really the most fun I've had in a while. But this problem is *ridiculous*. In beta there weren't as many people so it wasn't as much of an issue.

But at the moment, I try and flank a line of troops so I run up the side of a hill *thinking* it's clear and that I can get around, suddenly I die and realize there was 100 troops on the side too but I couldn't see any of them until I was 10 feet away.

Not to mention how HORRIBLE sniping is with this issue. You can't even snipe most of the time now. And this game is ABOUT big battles.. This system is killing off the best of the game.
  5. ValugaTheLord

Yea.. nothing like a being smart and going around where there are no enemies only to discover 20 enemy troops spawn behind the corner after you turner and pretty much are surrounded by the people.
  6. Herr Dreeks

Flying in a liberator @ 700 meters altitude i have no problems bombing the sh*t out of infantry and tanks. Sniping with an infiltrator i have no problems making headshots at 800 meters.

There are MAJOR lag problems, problems with players warping all over the place, the flickering bug that turns into lagging/crashing was there yesterday evening, but all in all i am quite impressed with the performance of this game. Rendering is not the issue, SERVER STABILITY is.

If your fps sucks, fix it! Upgrade it! Some guys need to be remembered how FREAKIN' BIG the scale is of PS2. This ain't your Battlefield 3 boys! And even then i am bloody impressed with the GRAPHICAL performance. Most fun i have had in years in a PvP game.
  7. Sabot

are you having problems understanding the issue here? when certain objects (such as players that shoot you in the face) aren't rendered, it's the same as them not existing on your client.. you can not see them or their weapon trails, but they can shoot you. This means that if you're in a ESF for instance, you have no chance of defending yourself against say... an enemy burster max, because on your client he simply doesn't exist until you get close enough.

Flying mechanics and the synergy between ESF/Libs and infantry based AA (such as HA and MAXes) will always be broken and one side will always feel gimped no matter how they nerf/buff any of the weapons involved because of this issue. There next to no point flying in big battles, cause the chance of getting shot down by something you can't see - or indeed shoot back at - is too big. So the rocket pods/lib cannons are very powerful so not to make flying ESF/lib completely useless against ground forces. This ofc makes the tank/sundy drivers whine and call for nerfs on them... Do you see where I'm going with this?

Until this core element is fixed, some mechanics in PS2 will always be broken. Rendering distance has to be at least as long as the longest effective range of all the weapons you can choose on your selected vehicle... even if at that max range you only see infantry as a one polygon brick, they HAVE to be there for you to shoot at.
  8. reFre5h

But this isn't the case anyone is describing. I have no FPS issues at all, but when I'm in a big battle where there are all 3 factions fighting people will randomly pop in at 5-10 M who weren't there a second ago. It's nothing to do with your PC and everything to do with the data the server sends you. If you are in smaller fights you won't notice this, the more people around you the game reduces the range that info will be registered on your end. It seems like a quick fix for FPS problems but it creates problems with actually playing the game as you cannot damage people you cannot see.
    • Up x 1
  9. Caspartine

No, just no.

To shut some of the "buy better PC" rants - i5 3570K @ 4Ghz, 8GB DDR3, HD 7950 OC 3GB, all settings set to ultra (via .ini file). There's no better settings I can squeeze from this game.

Now: Yesterday evening, Indar, being a main gunner in the Lib. We were in like 700-800 alt, looking down as our tanks nuke the Indar Comm. Array. Spamming Q like an idiot, all I could see were our forces. Asked my pilot to bring us closer, wondering, what are our prowlers shooting at. Around 300m alt suddenly 50 red bars pop out. By that time we were locked by A2A and were fired on by AA Maxes. So all we could do is turn around for repairs. Next round I knew they are there, all over the place. We tried to bomb the place from 700m, not a single hit. (Side question - Does the L105 Zepher have an actual range?:eek: ).
  10. caldrin

This and players warping all over the place are the two major issues at the moment.. hopefully we will get a patch this week.
  11. Herr Dreeks

Did you read my post? I am not disagreeing with you guys... the rendering is ok imho when there are NO problems with the server, sure, it could always be better. I think the problem lies with the fact that when the server hamster is about to die or dies, people are warping all over the place, people won't show about at certain distances, tanks popping up 5 meters infront of you. That's a whole different problem then rendering in general.

What we need is server performance is fixed, last night on Woodman EU was horrendeus! I rather have a bit of "rendering issues" than people bloody warping and lagging all over the place...
  12. Choppstick

Funny Ive gunned libs and been even closer. 200m Ish to the ground and still dont see any infantry and just randomly explode. The fun part is if the opponent dosent render for you neither does his missles or flack. Fun stuff. They really have to come up with a better solution to this. I cant even count how many times ive been running in open ground only to watch enemys render and derender right in front of me. Worst part you cannot shoot in there general dir. No render = does not exist for your client. :(
  13. reFre5h

Yes.

It happens even right after the servers start up though.
    I'm tired and mixed two responses into what I gave you. My bad.
    • Up x 1
  14. Stordito

render distance dropped drastically. it happened, i'ts not a feeling.
    in the beginning i could see infantry peeking from the crown air pads from TI alloys, and air & vehicles from there to vanu archive.
    flying in a mossie was a blast, you cold see for a full Km hundreds of vehicles.
    Proof?

just look at my video from mid-beta (late August)

0:21
    0:27
    0:43 the guy in the quad pass by a soldier on foot the last second of this clip.they are under the mani biolab and the clip was recorded with HUD off and 12X sniper rifle on, they where 2-3 hexes away approx 1 Km,
    0.48 Ti alloy, should i really say anything? you can clearly see vehicles and infantry along with flak fire (approx distance 600m)
    1:00 soldiers on the wall tower @ approx 350m away
    1:05 soldiers around the gal

and i've other pics where you can see even further.
    there are plenty of situations where you can clearly see far and without infantry appearing.

This render distance nerf was applied during the air draw distance nerf (before AA was buffed) , along with some graphic changes to improve performances.
    sadly the game looked better in beta overall.
    they probably cannot deal with this issue, because they surely are aware of it.

I opened 2 topics on this subject myself but got no "official" explanation, nor anyone else.
    Devs, i Dare you, i double dare you, post something regarding this issue, because it's annoying as hell, and cripples the game for all the classes.
    • Up x 1
  15. naizarak

Was playing earlier today as my squad stormed an enemy outpost. Saw an enemy infiltrator flashing/teleporting in front of me, I shot him, and he disappeared. I thought a teammate got him or he lagged out - well you guessed it - 2 secs later both me and my teammate get shot in the back by the same guy with 3 health bars.

Later I was trying to flank an enemy movement by going over a hill. Thought I was clear until I started moving down the hill and about 20guys appeared in front of me...

As others said, FPS issues and rendering issues are killing the game right now. Devs have to fix these things ASAP because they're ruining the fundamental balance of the game. There's no point in discussing anything else until these things are fixed.
  16. caldrin

yeah just had to give up playing on woodman last night because of it.. it was bad all day but during the night i guess the server was jsut under too much stress lol
  17. PlayerOneSVK

Still not solved in large battles you can see infront of you only50 meters
  18. asmodai

You cannot expect them to fix/adjust this in 4-5 days.

I fully agree it is a problem, anyone on Miller who was part of the Broken Arch VS fights against NC knows just how much tanks we lost simply due to not seeing all the enemies, however in order to expand this they will need to optimize the client (and possibly server) more than what is currently in place. People are already complaining that lower end systems cannot play the game at low settings at the moment, imagine how many people would drop out when they up this aspect of the game to show all targets at X range.

It sucks, but patience is the key here.
  19. Megagoth1702

@OP: Jesus christ guy work on your grammar and attitude. **** man this is just disturbing.
  20. eyez

So, the things that we (betatesters) told them 3 month ago, are still in the game.
    Welcome to the beta. :D nothing new here

Same goes for random fps drops, screen flick... lag... you name it :) (well, lag was not a problem in Bate, so you guys get abit more to whine about)
    • Up x 2