[Suggestion] Remove AP rounds ability to OHK infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LibertyRevolution, Oct 9, 2014.

1. LibertyRevolution

I don't think a BASR or a shotguns shouldn't OHK either... but that is a different thread.
  2. KenDelta

Wow ? I'm amazed , share some of what you're taking with us.

Clearly never used an AP MBT/Lightning gun did you?

Whats the logic behind the hardest hitting weapon in the game(Titan-AP) not 1HKO'ing infantry ? have you been farmed by AP rounds THAT hard?
  3. LibertyRevolution

A phoenix that can put a 3000HP ESF on fire and explode in 2secs later, can't OHK an infantry because of balance.
    The same reason AP shell should not OHK an infantry, balance.

I just want there to be a downside to using AP.
    There current isn't, as the higher velocity makes it easier to kill infantry than HEAT.

Honestly, I can't even tell you the last time I was killed by any tank shell.
    I am sure whenever it might have been, I was most likely trying to attack it as a C4 fairy. ;)
  4. Alarox

No, it is the same exact concept. You're saying that because under ideal circumstances both weapons can kill in the same number of shots, they have the same killing potential.
    • Up x 4
  5. Alarox

You're arguing that weapons should be balanced differently based on their target. That's fine. The problem is that you're not giving a reason as to why it means AP shouldn't OHK infantry. This is your argument:

Premise 1: Weapons should deal varying amounts of damage based on their target.
    Premise 2: ???
    Conclusion: AP shouldn't OHK infantry.
    • Up x 4
  6. KenDelta

It can't OHK infanrty because people whined about it , you're asking the devs to make the most skill/aim-based weapon less useful to use , and HEAT is easier to use due to splash....
    • Up x 1
  7. DocteurVK

In an 1V1 scenario, in an open field with no cover and both standing still at less than 80m each from the other, I agree...

What is the probability of this kind of scenario happens ?

HE and AP are direct hit kills vs infantry, but AP lacks the suppression factor.

The no-splash is a big downside at fighting infantry, unless you pick targets off as a sniper (shich is not that easy) and is not providing that much help in base fights.

HE power resides not in the killing power, but the fact that it's a denial.

You won't be able to survive in a zone constantly bombarded by HE, whereas you'll be able to dodge incoming AP fire eve if it drops infantry from time to time.

The thing you seem to forget is that it's not an infantry only game.

In a base, infantry dominates vehicles easily if said vehicles are not properly equipped (AP) because of the large amount of cover / flanking opportunities.

In the open field, infantry is weak and exposed. Sure they can fight, but they cant hide nor move fast enough to escape from vehicles...

HE serves as the heavy artillery to literally lock the infantry and deny zones to help your own infantry to go deeper in the fight.

AP serves as the anti-artillery to help your infantry get back the zones denied by HE. The OHK is neat but non-effective as it's only a "Oh S**t !" moments utility...
    • Up x 3
  8. Cuze

So now your saying it should take 3 direct hits from AP to kill infantry? lol
    • Up x 3
  9. Ixidron

Oh wait, I didn't realize infantry had tank armor plating, hey, they don't

This is a 150mm shell, it can fall on top of you and kill you, and it doesn't even need a cannon:

[IMG]
    • Up x 10
  10. AshHill07

Tanks should be made fully realistic for a week so infantryside will appreciate how pathetic the tanks are in this game in comparison to the real thing.
    • Up x 3
  11. AlexR

Hey there Mr. OP.
    Look at this picture:
    [IMG]
    Why would there be any reason this thing not to kill a meatbag after 900km\h impact? No discussions. Tanks are tanks.
    • Up x 3
  12. LibertyRevolution

My argument is that there is no downside in using AP.
    It should be weaker against infantry because it is stronger against vehicles.

HEAT is not easier to kill infantry with than AP..
    HEAT does 750 splash, AP does 500 splash.. BOTH REQUIRE DIRECT HIT TO KILL.
    You can 2 splash infantry with AP the same as HEAT...

HE can only kill with splash <1m, 1m you might as well use AP and just shoot them directly the increased velocity makes it easier.

Hey there guy, tell me why phoenix doesn't OHK infantry, yet sets a 3000HP ESF on fire? Answer is balance.
    I am tired of repeating that statement...
  13. DocteurVK

Nanites ???

If only we actually used this kind of shell...
    • Up x 3
  14. DocteurVK

Wow, so all those TR drivers are Bad tankers ?
    Because I barely see any infantry farmer use AP rounds for their primary...

(sweet taunt to you TR drivers, don't take it personally, I'll come with my AP lightning to shoot your best profile)
  15. DatVanuMan

Sorry, man. I can see that your intentions are good, but AP is the ONLY AI cannon that actually does the job. Higher velocity, more damage, STILL has splash... the other options are nerfed, but not this one. Why nerf AI ability? Unless HEAT is regaining its ability to OHK, I have to disagree with this.
  16. DatVanuMan

Don't give the NC ideas, you fool!
    • Up x 1
  17. Bananenweizen

Due to the logic of the OP the LMG of a heavy should do only half of its normal damage every time the HA put a rocket launcher in his loadout. And only a quarter if this loadout contains C4 as well.

Well, how about... no?
  18. AlexR

Tanks is a huge, heavy, superior machine of bringing death. There are no scenarious where it should be so weak against PEOPLE. And now in planetside it should even be adjusted in other way. Tanks should kill infantry even faster. Heavy Assaults running right on the tank with their BAZOOKAS and C4s are completely out of logic. So yes, they should be punished with a one hit. Every time.
  19. LibertyRevolution

Prowler get away with using HEAT because they have 2 shots, either of which can OHK, they do 1000 direct 450 splash each..
    http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/P2-120_HEAT

No, I think that rocket launchers should take the primary slot. You should have to chose between it and an LMG.
    Once again, that is a topic for another thread. Please stay on topic so this doesn't get locked.
  20. DocteurVK

This would be fun to see their tanks implode because the shell didn't fit in their cannon :p
    • Up x 1