[Suggestion] Rebind Yaw to mouse_X

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by warmachine1, Aug 13, 2014.

1. tijolo

What model of mouse do you use that comes back to the same position? If you get your stick to play ESF's then you're one of few. Also my aircraft in-game only moves to a direction as long as I'm moving my mouse, not until I reset its position.

When people don't get the point you're trying to make and start with illogical assumptions "#facepalm".
  2. CorporationUSA

And all of those things you mention are irrelevant. You're so focused on the details that you can't be bothered to consider the big picture. The controls used are the closest you'll get to a jet on a mouse and keyboard. And since m/kb is the primary control device for the game, it makes sense for them to optimize all of the air controls for it.

So yeah, it controls like a jet would control with a mouse and keyboard. The controls make complete sense in that context. Now whether or not jet controls are right for an ESF is the bigger question.
  3. tijolo

Again what I said on my first point in the "Q&A" thingy which is a valid comparison: If you played infantry, and W moved forward, S moved backward, mouse up looked up, mouse down looked down, mouse left WALKED left, mouse right WALKED right, A looked left and D looked right. How would you feel? Wouldn't you preffer to have the same kind of controls in the same input? In the same relative 2d plane of the surface the mouse is standing on? Again, play with the magrider and then with the scythe.

I'm not saying that these controls (even the infantry ones on the example above) are impossible to master but they're not ideal. Try and do a perfect pitch loop with an ESF without a single degree in deviation with the mouse. I dare you. Also you're missing the point of my examples.
    • Up x 1
  4. Kristan

Whatever, I just pointed out how iliteral you are by calling VTOL jets as "helicopter hybrids" and to proceed rolling from that point, which is already plain wrong.
  5. CorporationUSA

I wasn't arguing with you about whether or not this layout is right for an ESF, I was correcting a misconception about the controls. We basically have jet controls on an ESF.

And your infantry example is flawed when you consider that ESFs fly at 360 degrees all over the place, often at fast speeds and around objects. Perhaps implementing infantry-like controls hinders mobility? It works for infantry and magriders because they aren't anywhere close to being as maneuverable and mobile as an ESF.

So the system isn't counter-intuitive. It just favors mobility over precise aim. Can we have both? Maybe. I wouldn't mind seeing the option added to the test server so people could try it out. It would probably put even more emphasis on ganking by making it stronger, which I think is a step down from hoverdueling.
  6. taod3mon

All this is pretty irrelevant. PS2 is not the first game to have flight, be it jet/vtol/heli style of flight and in other games you can easily go into the key binding options and change mouse roll to mouse yaw for those who feel more comfortable with those controls. It isn't a matter of trying it out as most people that want it have been using it for many many years in other games with similar flight mechanics. In all these games that have these control binding options none have balance issues as a result of one control scheme over another. There is absolutely no reason why this basic option shouldn't be in the game other than the dev's have their heads so far up their own yahoos that they can't grasp how their own game works.
    • Up x 1
  7. CorporationUSA

Is that so? I gave a possible reason already, and there may be more.
  8. taod3mon

Hinders mobility? That isn't even possible as flight mechanics don't change, just the keys that are pressed to accomplish the same thing. It would be impossible that binding yaw to the mouse X axis would somehow reduce mobility unless doing so disabled all other key binding preventing you from putting roll on other keys.

Fear of making infantry ganking too easy? Easily remedied with adjustments to cannons as seen in BF3 where infantry sniping was an issue vs BF4 where they balanced jet cannons so it became non existent while losing no effectiveness against air targets.

Again, PS2 is not the first game with highly mobile vehicles that fly. Where they are the exception is being one of the only ones that don't allow for the option to rebind the mouse axis, which consequently makes the games joystick support rubbish as well as the simple coding is likely almost the same for both (axis binding).

There is no reason that isn't easily debunked for not having this option in the game.
  9. CorporationUSA

That's ridiculous. Using the mouse to roll is objectively more precise, just like using the mouse to aim is more precise. It's entirely possible that mobility, ie. maneuvering low around objects, would suffer from not having it on the mouse. And it's possible that other maneuvers would suffer as well.

And BF4 still has jet infantry sniping, and it is still incredibly powerful. They toned it down a bit, but calling is nonexistent is just absurd.
  10. tijolo

So be it. I'd much rather have a precise yaw + pitch than a precise roll. Rolling doesn't affect your aim, it keeps it on center so rolling with A and D will be very easy, as it is in any other game flying game with any kind of vehicle. Now stop trolling this thread and just bump it by other means.
  11. CorporationUSA

Ah the old "I don't agree with you so you're a troll" routine. Classic.

There could be a downside to making people choose between better aim and better maneuverability. My whole point was that could have been the reason for them doing it. Or did you just skip over that part of the conversation?
  12. tijolo

Did you skip over the part of it being an option?
  13. Scr1nRusher

Why would you nerco this?
  14. CorporationUSA

I think I've addressed that before. But if not, there is always the possibility that one option would be better than the other, thus forcing people to play with it. And if the controls determine how the game is played, that could be a very important factor. Whatever the case, I think they should add it to the test server so we could try it out. I really do sympathize with you guys, but I worry about this option causing a shift in the gameplay of the airgame to something less varied and skill-based. Give us a way to test it out and see if that's the case.
  15. taod3mon

Roll doesn't need to be objectively more precise even to maneuver low around objects. If it was a proper option like in other games you also wouldn't have to use it unless you wanted to.

Between nerfing jet cannon damage against infantry as well as increasing the spread on it and adding a slight recoil (both of which don't hinder the air to air part of things) if you get extremely lucky with the random number generator you might pick off 1 infantry on an attack run if he is low on health. You can do multiple passes at a single infantry man and still not be able to kill him.

In BF3 you can easily pick off 2 infantry per pass, more if they are clustered. This is not possible in BF4. They also made stealth jets useless against ground targets and nerfed the attack jets from their BF3 counterparts in BF4 in both in damage against armored targets as well as their maneuverability so they are easy kills for stealths.

Infantry sniping with jets in BF4 is non existent compared to BF3.

Their reason for doing it was them not understanding why anyone would want it any different than how they had it. Again, you aren't choosing between one or the other, just using what works better for you. PS2's flight mechanics aren't completely new or unheard of and in over a decade of gaming one control option or another has never caused one to be "better" than the other and was never a cause for limiting said options.

Again, this has not caused issues in any other games. What causes issues is game mechanics, not changes in what keys are pressed. Mechanics wouldn't be changed. It is a really simple concept that has been proven over in over in similar games none of which became less varied or skill-based because of this option existing.
  16. DevsAnswerMe

Why are ppl still posting reasons that are totally irrelevant to them? It's US who want mouse yaw and it's US who would have to deal with the problems that u keep coming up with, and to US, they AREN'T even problems!

Why the **** do u even care about us not being able to roll precisely when u can keep the old control scheme and the new one wouldn't even affect u?

I think the only reason why u don't want us to have mouse yaw is that u wouldn't be able to insta-gank newbies anymore! And that reason is INVALID coz it's a huge imbalance in chances!

So finally give us the ******' chance to try it and see by ourselves if it's better or worse for ****'s sake! And for us it WILL be better as we'd finally stand a chance in dog fights, making sky gods less of a problem!

We don't give a **** about it making roll unprecise, we need YAW to be precise, END OF ARGUMENT! So quit coming up with invalid or irrelevant reasons to not implement it and instead help us make the devs do it!
    • Up x 1
  17. Ronin Oni

Nah, much more fun watching you rage like an impotent child
  18. tijolo

It's all for the bumps and keeping this thread on the first page for years until it is decided to give some resources towards what some players are asking. It's a genuine method and check it back in 20xx when this thread has 40 pages and it is finally implemented.
  19. Ronin Oni

I really don't think it will be...

It wouldn't really improve air to air handling, but it WOULD make picking off infantry with highly accurate noseguns a hell of a lot simpler when in hover mode, and I think THAT might actually be a valid balance concern.

Considering A2G power is 1 thing they're quite cautious about and the 1 thing that's been nerfed more than ANYTHING ELSE in the game, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to add any mechanics to make it easier.
  20. tijolo

Right now one anti air unit can create a big area of denial, enough to cover a whole base, from several ESF's. Plus, yes, it would improve A2A. Also it's not going to make the game easier. It's going to make it more confortable for who preffers 'mouse-look'. If it made it easier everyone would be using the spur for the liberator because "it is so damned accurate and OP against infantry since it's literally mouse look and has no aircraft turn acceleration taken into consideration". But is that the case?