[Suggestion] Rebind Yaw to mouse_X

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by warmachine1, Aug 13, 2014.

1. repinSniper

What happens when you rebind A and D to mouse yaw on a Magrider?
  2. Ronin Oni

ALPHA

pre-beta

Higby said they tried it back in beta when someone asked about mouse yaw "we tried it. It sucked. It was terrible for control so we didn't want it represented in our game"

Take my word for it or not, I honestly DGAF.
  3. Ronin Oni

Nothing.

Unlike Aircraft, Magrider "yaw" is not mind-numbingly slow.

slower than tank turrets, but like 10x faster (or more) than aircraft yaw
  4. repinSniper

Hint: Yaw on a mag is "Look Left" and "Look Right". Try seeing if you can handle it :eek:. Now put it on your mouse and kill that infantry in the VR @ 150m that you couldn't get a bead on using the bound buttons.

Remember, infantry don't always stand still outside the VR!
  5. Ronin Oni

FFS Mag turn rate is 10x faster than aircraft yaw.

Terrible example is TERRIBLE.
  6. repinSniper

To be honest, it is a terrible example, a terrible example when it comes to speeds and accelerations.

But that is NOT the point. The point is that mouse control Mag is much more controllable than the key controlled Mag. Why? Because input is not always maximum on the mouse where as the key presses apply maximum yaw acceleration at all times. No variation. No precision controllable to acceptable degrees at average engagement distances. And this is critical! Close the distances, and at some point the yaw differences become less and less overwhelming. Raise the distances between targets, and yaw becomes a limiting factor without precision increments, which the Magrider has, and the Aircraft don't. Simple as that.

Design decision: Do not allow Aircraft to yaw with the same functionality of Magriders.

You can reverse engineer the yaw functions of a Mag onto both options, and the preferred option will always be the mouse due to the fact that they are not similar in practical application at all. Yes, the preferred option for yaw on an Aircraft will always be precision over full acceleration when it comes to yaw, but that is not the case in this game due to balance. SOE could give all the individuals who want this the option to do so with the next patch update, but they won't (or I highly doubt it).

PS: Just to let everyone know, the Mag is not the only vehicle able to use "yaw" for aiming via mouse and keyboard. Lightnings, Vanguards, Prowlers, Top turrets, Base turrets, ect.; they all have acceleration rates and top velocities, but are not as "fitting examples" as a Mag turret can be for clarification purposes. Again, acceleration rates and velocity rates of the "yaw" mechanics on vehicles all vary greatly from one another for the most part, and with that variance we can experience completely different feels on particular vehicles using the exact same base concept for "yaw".
  7. Ziogatto89

Wow, gotta love one guy saying the devs did it because it was horrible and the other saying the devs did it because it was too good.
    • Up x 1
  8. Zotamedu

I am pretty sure you could do that way back because I am pretty sure I have tried it. I am more used to space shooters where it is not uncommon to use mouse or joystick for pitch and yaw and let roll be on the keyboards. It makes more sense in space I guess. Mainly because you do not need wings and stuff like that. Anyway, I know I have tried it and it was horrible. I'm having a hard time with the current controls but that was unplayable. The huge difference in turn rate really threw me off.

Anyway, I hope the port over the controller controls from console because I would love to try to fly with my game pad.
  9. Allin

That'w why some very good pilots use joystick emulation for mouse, to actualy emulate yaw on mouse with workaround.

Because it does not work, or sucks.

Logic is missing from that thread. What's in abundance though, are concrete minded people, who themselves surely rebinded some keys, but will deny that to others, becaue that's how they roll.

Grow up, stay off this thread. Yeah it will suck, yes you will farm our sorry yaw mouser noob butts. What's wrong then?
  10. warmachine1

It is completely subjective, for me the most important part is to disable the roll on mouse as it makes me crash.
    No, even sensitivity do not disable it.
  11. Ronin Oni

There is not "too little yaw".

As for controlling minimum yaw rates... uh... sure? tapping A/D moves you a couple of pixels at a time as it is so I don't see how much finer you can get, so we don't have a problem with that, but yes, the main issue is we don't want any increase to max Yaw whatsoever.

So long as Max yaw is left alone, I don't think any of us would oppose mouse yaw. We'd laugh at anyone who'd use it, but I don't think we'd oppose it.

We are concerned, however, that if granted mouse yaw, that many people would then ask for increase in Max Yaw that aren't currently asking for it since they can't fly with the current flight model anyways.
  12. TheKhopesh

I agree 100%. This has been irritating me no end (even though I mostly use it for the Phoenix).
  13. warmachine1

First things first.
  14. Ronin Oni

No.

First thing's IT.

You can have mouse yaw and I won't grieve you for that.

I will hate every last one of you with every fiber of my being if/when you then cry for more Yaw capability.
    • Up x 1
  15. WarmasterRaptor

I agree with that.

I'm only for the targeting fine tuning precision option.

In absolutely NO other way should it give flat out better controls.

I'm with Ronin Oni on that one. Rebinding is only rebinding.
    • Up x 1
  16. Ronin Oni

Honestly, mouse yaw is so weak that tapping A/D turns you a pixel at a time as it is, so I don't see how mouse control will really give you much more accuracy TBQH....

but, different strokes. I think it will be inferior control but that's your perogative ;)
  17. warmachine1

What is precise rolling good for BTW?
    I will not give up the roll axis, I will bind it to A/D to roll even faster.
    • Up x 1
  18. AssaultPig

the ultimate problem is that a KBAM setup only has two analog inputs (mouse up/down and mouse left/right) and you need three for proper flight control (pitch, yaw and roll.) Magriders can get away with only having two analog inputs because, as ground vehicles, magriders do not roll.

If you are forced to choose only two analog inputs for flight, pitch and roll are really the ones you want. You want analog pitch for presumably obvious reasons (aiming, controlling altitude, etc) and analog roll because combining pitch+roll it is the fastest and most precise way to turn in three dimensions. Even if mouse yaw were an option, smart pilots would use analog roll instead.

plus I suspect that with the current low yaw rate, most people would find mouse yaw frustrating anyway
  19. warmachine1

Turning =/= aiming
    U can turn with A/D maybe even better, but rolling to make small correction while aiming just feel unnatural.
    Nothing Yaws slower than Jets in BF4.
    • Up x 1
  20. Nexus545

This is probably never going to happen. People have wanted it since Beta and it's two years on now. People are just going to have to learn how to fly without it.