[Suggestion] Rebind Yaw to mouse_X

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by warmachine1, Aug 13, 2014.

1. tijolo

Good point. It might actually get harder to aim with mouse yaw. But still, it will be more intuitive and I would like to have it.
    • Up x 2
  2. taod3mon

Keeps going right over your head huh?

Aircraft would still pitch and roll to fly.

Like I said before, feel free to try any of the battlefield games or any of the ARMA games, rebind yaw to the mouse X axis and try and fly without rolling and pitching. Yaw doesn't suddenly increase its rates when you remap it. Some serious logic fails going on by you, which at best discounts your whole argument and at worst means the world is probably better off if you don't breed.
  3. DevsAnswerMe

And with that being the case I'd better repeat what I've aleady said multiple pages ago:

ALL WE WANT IS AN OPTION THAT ALLOWS US TO PUT YAW ON THE MOUSE'S X-AXIS SO THAT WE CAN AIM MORE PRECISELY AND FINALLY INCREASE OUR CHANCES OF SURVIVING A DOG FIGHT!

WE DO NOT WANT YAW TO BE ANY FASTER THAN IT IS NOW, NOR DO WE WANT OTHER PLAYERS TO BE FORCED USING OUR CONTROL SCHEME AS WE ARE FORCED TO USE THE CRAPPY ORIGINAL CONTROL SCHEME RIGHT NOW! IT'S SUPPOSED TO ALLOW A CHOICE BETWEEN THE CURRENT CONTROL SCHEME AND THE ONE THAT WE WANT!

And all who don't want us to have it are most likely just scared of not getting easy aircraft kills anymore!
    • Up x 2
  4. CorporationUSA

If you really believe that, then you have failed to understand, or are just ignoring the arguments against mouse yaw. If you don't agree with them, that is fine. But what you're doing is called an appeal to motive, and it's a logical fallacy.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ronin Oni

Yup. This.
  6. Jezs

Being able to bind a modifier key to switch between roll/yaw at will would also be nice
    • Up x 1
  7. taod3mon

The arguments against mouse yaw don't hold water, at least none I have seen presented since the tech tests prior to the beta. If there wasn't already plenty of examples of games where it is an option and doesn't make one control method an advantage over another all the failed arguments might have something to stand on, but that isn't the case, and as such all the arguments presented thus far in this or the various other threads since before the beta can basically be summed up in "I'm afraid of change despite it being proven to not change anything as far as gameplay goes".

There are times you will want to use both at once so a simple toggle really isn't enough to solve the problem. They just need to man up and give the game proper control options like every other self respecting PC game.
  8. tijolo

Thoughts on both sides have been presented over and over. Right now all we need is a response from the Devs. So, Devs, please? Anything from "never going to happen because we don't believe this will have such a big impact and the idea has been discarded in 2012, we just forgot to tell you guys" to "sure, seems reasonable. We'll be doing some tests in a few weeks and in a couple of months it will probably be on the test server" would be A+. Thank you.

You guys might also want to try and reach the devs through reddit or something to get a word on the matter and also let them know of this if they don't already.
    • Up x 1
  9. DevsAnswerMe

Which arguments? The invalid ones u guys keep coming up with? The ones that either make no sense or can easily be debunked?

On this WHOLE DAMN THREAD (And I've been part of this discussion quite a while before I took a break from the game and in both cases read everything I missed) I haven't found a SINGLE VALID ARGUMENT to NOT add mouse yaw to the game! All I've seen is ppl coming up with made up "facts", skygods fearing to not get any easy ganks on newbies anymore and complete misunderstanding how it would actually work and balance the chances of surviving a dog fight a little!

So to clear some things up again:
    - Mouse yaw would NOT be overpowered
    - Mouse yaw would NOT be faster than A&D-yaw (Look at the Magrider, it's got pretty much what we want except with a little more yaw speed!)
    - Mouse yaw would NOT be forced upon everyone like the current CRAPPY controls
    • Up x 1
  10. CorporationUSA

Well I haven't said it shouldn't be added to the game, but I have expressed concerns about how it's addition could change the game. I don't think the pro-mouse yaw group really cares about how it could affect the game though.

But anyway, my concerns haven't been invalidated, they've only been countered with outright assertions that I am wrong. Anyone who says they have been invalidated is talking out of their ***, since mouse yaw would first need to be used in PS2(not BF or some other game) to determine whether or not it has any affect on the air game. PS2's present A2A game is unique enough that it can't be compared to other games with mouse yaw.
  11. tijolo

I think we moved passed the negative arguments between ourselfs and are now on the point that this should be tested on the PTS. After convincing the devs to start implementing this, of course.
    • Up x 1
  12. taod3mon

Again you seem to be under the impression where using one or the other makes a gameplay difference in the battlefield games and it doesn't. You can jet snipe with A/D just like you can jet snipe with mouse yaw, that is a balance/gameplay issue and not a control option issue, which they remedied in BF4 by adding spread and recoil to jet cannons and nerfing damage to infantry.

PS2 isn't that unique, the mechanics are the same as a BF game with the addition of vtol keys which lets you combine some of the jet and helo maneuvers into one. Mouse yaw wouldn't affect these mechanics in any way just like they don't affect mechanics in the BF series. The same maneuvers that require rolling in PS2 would still require rolling by someone using mouse yaw, not a single thing about mechanics would change.

This is all really simple logic/reality that some people can't manage to grasp.
  13. CorporationUSA

I'm gonna stop reading right here. I never said or even implied such a thing, and I'm not going around in circles repeating myself to people who aren't even listening, I have no patience for that atm.
  14. DevsAnswerMe

Now even the argument "Uh, u just want mouse yaw coz u suck at flying" can be debunked coz just today I won THREE ****** DOG FIGHTS within 20 minutes!

Do I think any different than before about mouse yaw? No, not a single bit! I may have mastered the original controls now but I still think they SUCK!
  15. Lureh

How does the ps4 version handle yaw?
  16. tijolo

Interesting question and here's an interesting answer;

edit: skip to 4:40, the link I provided didn't come with the time I set it to (#t=4m40s) and I don't know how to do it on this forum :p

edit2: As it was suggested on this topic over and over again, the PS4 players get a logical, instinctive and natural feel to their aircraft controls. As you control both rolls on your right stick and your aim (such as it is with infantry) with your left stick. Controllers are always better for driving and flying but in this case it's kind of forced and can be compensated with, guess what? Mouse yaw. For those who say it is OP somehow tell me if it is OP in the PS4.

DBG, please.
    • Up x 1
  17. taod3mon

Umm...

That sure seems to be implying that switching between mouse yaw/roll does makes gameplay or balance differences to me. Anyone who has played a game with both control methods (and flown with both) would know it doesn't though.
  18. taod3mon

And just guessing, but I bet the yaw on the PS4 is analog unlike keyboard A/D keys.
  19. Oblomoff

I'll just repeat what I said on the third page because I haven't had a response. (and I believe this is an important topic)

The mouse yaw will undoubtedly make infantry killing with default guns much easier. I don't want more deaths to them - nobody does, isn't it? This can easily be fixed with a pass on noseguns-to-infantry damage model.
    But the guys that have perfected flying already can kill an infantry in the open in less than 5 seconds no matter how they jump. So, that won't change the top-tier air game we have now.

Just yesterday I was not able to shoot a stationary pumpkin for over 15 seconds. Yes, it does tell that I had little practice. But if it was a player who recently got into the game, they would get discouraged at 1/3 of the game and that is terrible.

And that is another valid concern.
    • Up x 1
  20. tijolo

I searched google for "Planetside 2 mouse yaw" and found so many discussions on the matter that date since the beta. Didn't found a single answer by a dev on the matter though. I'm giving up and think you guys should too. Enough disapointment.