[Suggestion] Rebind Yaw to mouse_X

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by warmachine1, Aug 13, 2014.

1. AssaultPig

aircraft guns are fixed forward, so yes, turning = aiming
  2. warmachine1

aiming = small corrections to get the crosshair on target (happens after turning)
    turning (maneuvering) = changing course, possibly getting to someone's tail
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

Or not fly at all.

Oh, when did they remove freelook allowing the nosegun to pan across the cockpit?
    I have the strangest idea that that used to be a thing, at least.
    • Up x 1
  4. AssaultPig

distinction without a difference

roll+pitch is better than yaw even for any but the most minor adjustments
    • Up x 1
  5. Saber15

Starsiege Tribes and Tribes 2 used mouse yaw for its aircraft, which handled like PS2 ESFs if ESFs actually had inertia.
  6. Drewbicus

Here's what I don't understand: WHO CARES about whether flying would be better or worse if this was an option? Just give us the OPTION so that those who want it can use it, and those who do better without it will just ignore it.
    • Up x 3
  7. Ronin Oni

I think precise roll control is important, and I can roll 360 without lifting mouse, and I have a bind on top of that anyways (as you will for Yaw should you get mouse Yaw option)

Roll and pitch are the majority of your movement, so yeah, I think precision is quite important.

I almost always only use my mouse for roll unless I'm barrel rolling for some reason.
  8. Oblomoff

As is the guy in the middle of first page, I have some trouble with moving mouse straight only (and with this controls, moving mouse diagonally often leads to unpredictable results and planecrashes) So I much prefer mouse yaw. It would undoubtedly help in those "higher" distance fights and close dances of planes for me.

I also think that having yaw on mouse would make aiming and slaughtering infantry much easier. And also think that that was the reason for having those awkward aiming controls in the first place. This however is another problem and is solvable by reducing flat damage of air-based guns and increasing vehicle damage multipliers to like, 6+ shots to kill infantry man.

You see, when the game was young, the best advice for new players trying to go to the skies was "just spawn planes and crash some", wasn't it? Now we have all the resources and videos but it doesn't make flying any less 'you will have to get used to it first' affair. Sure, other games done the control like this before. But we don't have physical limitations - your plane will continue going knife edge without losing altitude and that is disorienting.
    Yawing on mouse will clearly tell (if it won't, first encounter with an enemy would) that to turn you'll be using rolling. Without the first time spawning, doing diagonal motion and pointing your plane to the ground.
  9. Ronin Oni

Sure, np ;)
    ? Before launch of Hornets, they used to track free-look, but they removed that before their release and there's been nothing else. Nothing else is freelook on ESF besides just your view.

The Liberator in beta had freelook for pilot, but that was removed... then reintroduced on the Spur as a weaker weapon with pintel benefit.
  10. warmachine1

Yaw rate comparison: Battlefield 4 × Planetside 2

ESF yaw rate is somewhere between BF4 fighter & chopper, the attacker seems even slower than fighter.
    When it comes to design philosophies, it is always better to have useless options than miss the important ones!
    • Up x 2
  11. DualDesertEagle

Since it's still not been added I'm reviving this thread:

WE WANT MOUSE YAW!
  12. taod3mon

All the battlefield games back to 1942 over 10 years ago have had mouse yaw as an OPTION (though not default). the ARMA games which are more simulation than games compared to both BF and PS2 has mouse yaw options. Most PC flight simulator games let you rebind the mouse yaw axis and some I'm sure had it as default as well.

In none of the BF games do the flight physics change when you rebind your x axis to yaw. Yaw rates are lower than PS2 and people who fly with mouse yaw do not use it for turning/maneuvering like so many against this option seem to think they want to use it for.

It is simply a matter of preference, some people prefer pressing different keys to do the same action which is possible in most pc games of this type.

Sounds like Higby was trying to turn with yaw, which is pretty typical for a lot of game devs (being bad at their own games). That or they tested the crappy flying turret yaw from PS1.

The alpha was prior to the tech tests right? Too far back for me to remember the testing schedule but I know it was completely ignored during the tech tests and then eventually through the beta as well. No reasoning was ever given for it or during those phases of testing and we were completely ignored, and I'm pretty sure it is because they failed at understanding how their own game worked and that people asking for mouse yaw weren't asking for PS1 turret flying or flight mechanics to be changed.

We just wanted a basic control binding option found in every other self respecting PC game with flight in it. All games where one control option doesn't unbalance things compared to the other making that a pretty weak defense for limiting mouse yaw.

At this point I don't even care anymore and I wouldn't even play if I was payed to, but it is still amusing to come back here every once in a while and see how they are still derping this up and how some people are derped enough to defend them for it.
    • Up x 1
  13. warmachine1

Reviving this with hopes for a new company doing something with what SOE fu****d up.
    This is badly needed feature. Just put it into InputProfile.xml if detecting mouse axis in setting UI ingame is hard to do.
    • Up x 2
  14. JEFCCC

Hopes this goes somewhere. My first PC flying game was War Thunder, and my attempt to transition is slow going
  15. warmachine1

There seems to be more attention than at the times of SOE, but this issue had been brought up since beta 3 years ago.
  16. tijolo

Let's add some more arguments then.

Q:Why is the current system counter-intuitive?
    A:When you move you mouse up as infantry, you look up. When you move your mouse to the side as infantry, you look to the side. When you mouse up with aircrafts and the magrider, you look up. When you mouse over to the left the magrider yaws left and the aircraft ROLLS.

Q:What is this system made for? It obviously wasn't thought out for jets.
    A:This system is perfect for helicopters. If you mouse forward, you move forward. If you mouse left, you move to the left.

Q:Are we flying helicopters?
    A:No, we're flying hybrids. E-v-e-r-y single aircraft in this game is a heli-plane hybrid. Including the one that was supposed to be the most similar to a heli, the valkyrie.

Q:But they're hybrids, wouldn't mouse yaw mess with the aim when hovering?
    A:You'd still move your aim intuitively and unlike a helicopter, you'd still be able to move forward.

Q:But there's got to be a trade-off. Whats the catch?
    A:You'd roll with A-D. Less precisely so. Which it not a problem because rolling keeps your aim where it is, and also is not a movement that requires precision. Unlike yawing.

Q:But if this is so much better, why aren't any other games using this system?
    A:Ha, what games are not?

Q:Can DBG, instead of first adding an option to the live game, 'overwrite' the current flying system for tests on PTS so people can decide further in favor or against this?
    A: Probably.

Q:Why is mouse yaw not an option yet?
    A:This one I cannot answer. Devs, please?
    • Up x 3
  17. taod3mon

Still nothing...
  18. Kristan

When people don't know what VTOL jets are...

/facepalm.jpg
  19. taod3mon

Whether you are flying helicopters or jets or vtols is pretty irrelevant when it comes to basic mouse binding options. I use the same control scheme for all 3 despite the differences in how they fly. Changing between mouse yaw or mouse roll doesn't change the mechanics of how they fly, just which buttons you press to do the same things. For some mouse roll feels unnatural, for others mouse yaw is unnatural. Neither is wrong, but PS2 continues to be one of the only games of this type to not allow you to choose.

I tried for a long time to fly helicopters in various battlefield games with mouse roll and never got it to work with the default controls. It felt very unnatural but as soon as I changed to mouse yaw in bf3 things just clicked. Nothing changed about the way the helicopters fly, and I fly no differently than someone who uses mouse roll. Different keys are pressed for the same results.

Like I've said a million times, these are basic control binding options that have been around in games with flight since at least 2002 with the first BF game and likely longer in other games I've never played yet PS2 still doesn't have this very simple option.
    • Up x 3
  20. CorporationUSA

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. If the mouse were to the be the control stick of a jet, it would act as it does in the game, controlling roll and pitch. Helicopters act like this while in forward motion as well. Obviously using real-life vehicles is pointless because this isn't a simulator, but it seems like they probably looked at jets for a model they could follow, if not another video game that did the same thing.

Maybe they tried mouse yaw at one point and determined that it made ESFs too powerful against ground units? I don't know what their reasoning is, it could range anywhere from balance purposes to no time to add the code.