[Suggestion] Rebind Yaw to mouse_X

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by warmachine1, Aug 13, 2014.

1. warmachine1

Continuation of (purposefully) removed thread in vehicle discussion.

Lack of ability to change which specific plane axis (yaw | roll | pitch) is bound to mouse or keyboard is really irritating.
    This is basic of basic control customisation available in every modern shooter game that involves airborne combat.
    This problem is nothing new, it has been discussed since beta & no definite answer was ever given to us.

With such attitude, no doubt SoE is loosing players & have to merge servers, sadly servers are limited resource.

-> NEVER EVER HARDCODE CONTROLS !!!
    • Up x 18
  2. TheBlindFreak

Why do people want yaw on the mouse's x axis so badly? I can't fly worth **** in games with yaw on the x axis. It just feels bad and unintuitive.
    • Up x 2
  3. NinjaTurtle

Because not everyone is the same

Also one of the key pros of PC gaming is the extra options and configurations normally presented to the player. It is bizarre to me that this is not already an option
    • Up x 7
  4. TheBlindFreak

Meh, whatever floats people's boats, I guess. But I imagine people would have some difficulty pulling certain maneuvers if this were possible.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ronin Oni

Yeah, I don't care if they add mouse yaw. I have nothing against options.

I will be infinitely pissed off however if, after mouse yaw is introduced*, that mouse yaw players incessent whining over how bad aircraft Yaw is cause any change to the flight model.

To be clear: I LIKE that aircraft have **** all for yaw ability. It makes for a better air game, and if you people ruin that, so help me god...........

(*if it ever is, honestly don't care if they don't support it either TBQFH)
    • Up x 7
  6. FateJH

I've been a long-standing member of the "rebind mouse for flight controls" camp and I know exactly what I am getting into and what I would use it for, and I preface the clarification of that statement by pointing out I don't even pilot in this game.

You know what I would do with a bindable mouse for flight controls? I would unbind one of the axes. I might give the unbound axis yaw since yaw is subtle anyway; but, with the way it currently handles, I would be happier if mouse motion only did one thing. For me, that would make the whole affair much more controllable. And, if I did rebind to yaw,I would have minute controls for looking forward (subtle aim corrections) on the mouse and significant movement would be operated by the keyboard.
    • Up x 2
  7. Paleron

I'm about to argue against using yaw as one of your mouse axis but I do support the option to do so if you so choose.

You can pitch or roll very quickly and thus need analog controls to do so accurately. You can not yaw very quickly. When you press the yaw buttons (A and D, by default) you are yawing at your max rate. Binding this to your mouses X axis will give you very fine yaw control, but won't improve your yaw rate (or shouldn't). It will, however, rob you of being able to accurately control pitch or roll. This is the reason why it's a 'bad idea'. Not because you gain more control over yaw but because you must sacrifice one of the others.

It could, in theory, help when sniping from afar or picking off infantry. But in a close air battle losing either pitch or roll will be deadly. Keep in mind, you can do quick 'yaw-like' maneuvers by rolling to one side and using pitch. Most people in-game tend to pitch DOWN when doing that, though real planes would pitch up only so as not to pull the pilot upwards out of their seats and loose consciousness.
    • Up x 3
  8. Ronin Oni

You have a problem moving your mouse straight up or down without Left/Right deviation?

Then yes. Binding yaw to Mouse-X would help you from accidently rolling while pitching (FWIW: Pro pilots have duplicate keybinds for pitch for tight flip maneuvers to prevent need to move mouse, pickup, repeat)

And I'd support this. I think it's a net loss in functionality to do so, but if someone wants it, this is PC, and PC supports options.

Anyone who is thinking that adding Mouse Yaw will suddenly let them hover spam and easily target infantry on the ground doesn't understand the Yaw limitations though. These are not Battlefield helicopters.

Hell, the PS2 aircraft have less Yaw capacity then the BF jets!
    • Up x 2
  9. warmachine1

It is not about yawing 180° !
    It is about targeting that tiny infantry 1cm left from crosshair in very limited time with a nosegun!
    • Up x 3
  10. repinSniper

So you want precise yaw movements... to help you kill infantry with your noseguns... which is not their intended purpose... which is a major change to how yaw functions...

One major reason I adamantly disagree with this idea is that everyone keeps telling me they absolutely don't want extra precision while others tell me they absolutely want extra precision control over yaw with mouse movements. Pick one, not both or parts of both.

The instant you turn a nosegun into a Magrider's main cannon is the instant you break the game. This change will never happen if that is the intent, don't blame me or anyone against this idea, we are letting you know the fallacies in your logic on its implementation and reasons why SOE will not even touch this topic due to the complications associated with it. Enough of the "they can't code it", "they can code it", "they don't listen", "other games have it", "they told us we could get it", "we need it", "we want it now!", "it's so easy to do", "it's not hard to do", "it's been so long since this was brought up", ect. arguments on this topic. There are reasons why, mostly unknown to us; you should keep on letting SOE know you want the feature, but understand the complications which arise due to the implementation of a new feature, and stop turning these posts into the same old rant and rave about how we don't get what we want (this has not happened here yet, but I suspect it will... soon.)

Current controls prevent many abuses of noseguns for unintended purposes, such as precision infantry farming and long range target sniping, as well as serve as a natural limiter of how effective the guns can be with their accuracy in relation to a real combat scenario. The current design favors closing distances so that yaw is a small but meaningful factor in putting your targets into position, but allows for closer distances, velocity, acceleration, pitch, roll, and afterburner usage to all serve as large contributing factors to your overall performance. Sure, yaw has it's usages, but in terms of accessibility vs. potential when it comes to the amount of control you have over yaw, any precision-based yaw in this game would break the balance that our current weapon systems have vs. multiple target types. You want to kill infantry effectively? Get a Air Hammer, Banshee, PPA, or Pods on your loadout; just don't ask for precision-based yaw to make the other noseguns more effective vs. other targets then they currently are.

There are many more arguments and counter-arguments to this topic that I do not care to delve into, mostly due to the fact I have discussed them before multiple times, and also due to the fact that if this is implemented it will be an exact copy of what our current A and D keys can do on a mouse axis (which most people do and will not understand, and would abhor the functionality which it actually provides if it became a new "feature"), and that is IF (a big if) SOE even decides to even touch this in the future (which I personally doubt, but it could happen).
  11. YoungPedro

Could somebody from the pro mouse yaw camp tell me what game they previously played to get used to those controlls? Personally I can't remember a single pc game that would have used a control setting like that and I'm curious how people cannot be familiar with the default one.
  12. Ronin Oni

War Thunder, World of Planes.

They're point and click adventures.

Well, you don't click to go, just shoot.

It's a point and go adventure, click on the red things for points.
    • Up x 1
  13. repinSniper

PS: Many individual's tend to put more emphasis on the fact they do not want to move massive distances with yaw over short times, but want and need small movements with yaw and can live with having the current max yaw rates.

That's great that those individuals want to keep maximum yaw rates as they are currently, because then you would be modifying the game significantly. Right?

Now when you look at this the other way around, when individuals want to be able to control the minimum yaw rates, isn't the same definition of "modifying the game significantly" applying here also, if to not even a greater degree.

It's great that individuals don't want to break the game with "too much yaw", because that would give clear cut advantages; but when individuals are too blinded to see past what they "WANT" to understand that the "too little yaw" is also a game-breaking issue (if not even more of an issue than "too much yaw"), arguments arise.
  14. Stigma

I've had to relearn and adapt to the keyboard yaw and it works ok for me now, but honestly looking at it from a practical perspective the yaw on mouse makes more sense. You need fine control on yaw for aiming (which is something you will very clearly feel if you've ever tried to nosegun a tiny infantry taget). You don't really need fine control for rolling as that is more of a macro-movement.

YoungPedro I played BF3/4 wiht that sort of control scheme, and it was a great advantage for aiming. It made even more sense on helicopters which by nature have a very powerful yaw. It wasn't the default control setup though, but just because something is default or traditional doesn't mean it's the best. I'm pretty sure the default movement controls for quake(1) was the arrow keys...

On a more general note - this request has been made again and again ad nauseum since the beta of the game, so I don't think it's likely to ever happen at this point sadly...

-Stigma
  15. Stormsinger

Regardless of my personal opinion on the matter...
    The yaw rate does not have to be changed when giving the player the ability to rebind yaw to the mouse, just the ability to actually yaw.

As someone that has actually coded flight controls in the past, not having this option has to be one of the strangest omissions in a control set I have ever seen.

<soapbox>
    (As for my personal opinion, the lack of yaw rate in PS2 is more annoying to me then games that make you go on an intergalactic quest to be able to step over a 6 inch tall fence, just because it doesnt want you to. The limitation feels artificial, and only increases the necessity of learning how to perform the reverse maneuver in order to compete when piloting ESFs, which is a major reason why new pilots have such difficulties getting started. At this point in the game, i'd attribute a majority of the contention between Air and AA, as well as the state of balance, to a lack of intuitive, or easy to learn flight controls.)
    <soapbox/>
    • Up x 2
  16. YoungPedro

Oh ok that explains the demand for it, haven't played War Thunder but im fairly sure its hip with the kids right now.

I'm all for the ability to change your flight settings to your personal favor, I can't even fly without the inversed y axis so I can understand the need for a setting like that(bugs me to this day that the phoenix missile doesn't have that option ^^).

I can't think of a reason this shouldn't be in the game as long as it doesn't change the flight mechanics. As for the whole infantry farming, if they can't shoot down a hovering aircraft they probably deserved to die.
    • Up x 1
  17. Stigma

I dunno that seems like a weak argument. By the same logic you shouldn't be allowed to bind your turning on your magrider to the keyboard either (or in the case of ESFs be able to bind a keyboard key for the pitch).

This is clearly just an oversight in the control scheme coding - not a balance issue. If you wanted to balance out something like that you would change the values for heavier momentum and such to not make aiming trivial. ESFs already have a lot of that by the way. You can't just make a minute adjustment in pitch in an ESF by making a small mouse-pitch motion. You have to overcome a threshold for the movement to even start - at which point you are already moving too fast - and then you have to counterbalance that immediately to not overshoot the target and THEN you can shoot. There really isn't (or should ever be) a reason to balance anything by forcing controls that are unnecessarily awkward, or to ever hardcode them in the first place.

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  18. Hosp

My 2 Cents:
    Current hard control setting severely limits accessibility to the air game.

Allowing Rebinding would go a ways to fix it.

The question becomes: Why is it hardcoded?
    My hypotheses:

1) It has something to do with the transferability of the air game to the PS4.
    2) They want to limit the number of sky gods. (Wrong way to go about it IMO)
    3) It was on the drawing board with some bigger air revamp that never made Live due to the culling that occurred to the PS2 team.
    • Up x 1
  19. Ronin Oni

Truth: They tried it in alpha (before players ever got hands on) and thought it made their flight system feel terrible so removed it because they didn't want such a bad system in the game.
  20. Hosp

I never saw that as an option in Beta.

Edit: Should be easy enough to prove if that be the case.
    • Up x 1