over 1500 fired, over 1000 direct hits, 10 kills, does that sound OP? Guess the weapon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by St0mpy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. gualty

Missile speed buff could be nice to try balance the striker a bit
  2. Flag

Cry? Nope.
    Call lock-ons a boring and lazy game mechanic, probably(I think they are).
    But at least the grounder is limited to locking on to air. It has to dumb-fire ground targets.
    The striker, and annihilator can lock onto everything. That's the boring part. At least with the grounder and whatever the TR's G2G launcher is called make you have to chose between one out of two.
    So if you want to shoot tanks with seeking missiles, you have to rely on others for air deterrence, and vise versa.
    Giving a single person the means, without having to juggle loadouts, to handle just about everything is crossing the line.

Which they sadly did with first the annihilator, and later the striker.

Again, it doesn't make them op, just ... bad for gameplay.
  3. Soundmonitor

I agree about the lockon and I wish I was able to get my SC compensated for the crap Striker like the other guy, I got refused when I wanted my SC back for the crap Ranger I bought for my prowler... However I run with 3 loadouts, if I see majority Air I got with my grounder loadout and clear the air with my eyes closed, if I see majority ground vehicles I go to my Engie depending on the range and 2 shot MBT's with the mana-turret or I do my Ala Akbar with my LA, or what my squad usually does is squad/beacon deploy C4 all vehicles in range, voila no more ground forces. Any idiot standing trying to lockon to an MBT at 50m is like I said an idiot. The faster you put down a vehicule should be your goal.
  4. FoamyApostle

That is exactly the only advantage to the striker. Its not a very good weapon, but we like to get 2 or 3 outfit guys with a striker and wage psycological warfare against the enemy. We don't get many kills, but it sure stops the enemy from lining up too many kill runs since they have to bug out so often.
  5. Guadoc

Not everyone has flares fitted so that isn't a valid procedure for quite a few. Before you say "fit flares then", why should NC/VS pilots have to sacrifice that slot? If they fitted flares as standard to all ESFs then you might have a point.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by the lolpod bit, are you saying that they should be rocket podding the Striker user between the flare and the AB? Do you know that they don't render in any special way, don't appear on the minimap, there is no indication of where the lock is coming from and there are normally multiple Strikers locking on? Using your guide, we are looking at - flare, try to spot which TR are using their Strikers at that particular moment, try to rocket pod them (presuming that is what you meant by that) within 10 seconds approx (5 seconds flare immunity, 5 seconds(?) for Striker lock), AB away, wait for flare cooldown and then come back (by which time there will probably be other Strikers firing at you? All the while trying to maintain situational awareness of other ESFs, Libs, burster MAXs and Skyguards/AP MBTs? Sounds like a barrel of laughs.

I'll say again, it isn't the weapon itself it is the scaling of it with multiple users in the same area.
  6. Flag

:) Couldn't agree more, but:
    If set up right, you can be in positions to shoot tanks from several hundred meters away, where lock-ons certainly do work.
    I used to entertain myself by figuring out how to dumb fire at distances where it takes the shot several seconds to hit. It wasn't effective, but it was fun(this was done with the S1, default dumb fire launcher).
    However, at these ranges, the lock-ons will usually either damage, or deter an advancing vehicle.
    Edit:
    About the long range dumb fire, it was remarkable how slow people were to move when shot by them from a distance. Maybe it's because there were no blinking word and annoying sound telling you infantry were shooting at you, I don't know.

That tangent aside...

In any case, I do wish they had introduced other things than lock-ons for these roles(like the lancer and phoenix).
    While I don't feel the striker is -bad-(bugged =! bad), I will readily agree I wish TR had something more interesting than 'another lock-on'.
  7. Soundmonitor

Even without the bug the striker's TTK is by far the worst of them all because it relies on all 5 rockets to do full damage, compared to the other lockons that can do significant damage with 1 rocket (SKEP, GROUNDER). Again at 100m I would rather have a phoenix which doesn't give you any warning and blows you up in 2-3 shots like the mana turret. Lockons doesn't give you the end result of completely disabling the enemy tank, it only deters which in the end if they have re-enforcement only delays the inevitable, however if you take them out without warning you have an advantage.

IMO the Striker is just a fad and this is the only reason why people use it.
    • Up x 1
  8. LT_Latency

I agree the striker sucks give us something else. It doesn't nothing that a normal lock on launcher can't.

The only time it's really really good is against tanks that have 100 cover for like a 1 mile. Then it very strong.

Against planes it only scares them away. Against tank close range you have to see the whole tank just see 1/2 of it is not enough to start a lock and stand there for like 10 seconds. It's better to have a dumb fire here.
  9. DaninTexas

Strikers are the only reason I maxed out my smoke on my lightning. Strikers are the only reason I just use my reaver as a transport now
  10. Guadoc

I don't know what these Phoenix rockets are you are being hit by but according to the dmg spreadsheet Phoenix rockets do 750 damage, if you were unlucky enough to be pointing the rear of your Prowler (120% damage multiplier) towards the Phoenix user for the entire time he was shooting at you then it would take 4.5 rockets to kill your tank not 2.
  11. Compass

They do 1700 to tanks. 2 rockets will kill a Prowler.
  12. Roy Teppert

Are you only using the striker for aircraft or something? I've got it on my alt and I've only used it for a few hours, and I'm sure I've killed more than 10 vehicles with it.
  13. Guadoc

I've shot loads of Phoenix rockets at tanks and never had it only take 2 shots, is there some special condition to get that damage (presuming rear only which means it is not very often)? Also, AFAIK Prowlers have 4k HP?

Also, why is the damage spreadsheet wrong for that specific weapon? Sorry bit of an unfair question unless you are the maintainer!
  14. Jube

What amazes me is that there is sooo many complaints about this launcher from all sides, TR, NC and VS all hate it, but nothing is being done to fix it.
  15. BluescalesNZ

What about a slight scaling damage boost/ bonus for each missile after the first that hits? Like an additional 5 percent (choosing a random number here) to the damage of second rocket if it hits, 10 percent to the third, 15 percent to the fourth, 20 percent to the fifth? Representing the idea that multiple warheads are slamming into the same, already weakened spot of the vehicle.
  16. Soundmonitor

How about removing the thing completely, its just totally garbage overall, I dont see why other TR dont see it that way. It would've been OP if all rockets fired with 1 click.
  17. Compass

It must hit the rear from camera POV. It has the same strength as a standard dumbfire rocket launcher against tanks, meaning the 1700 x 1.2 = 2040.

To the sides, it will do half damage, 850.
  18. bobzebrick

Nice logic there. God I hope the devs don't listen to people like you. I hate it, it killed me, so let's nerf it :rolleyes:
  19. Treasurer

Wait 69% accuracy is OP on a lock-on weapon? What does it make my dumbfire then? https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428021124291246817/weapons
    I admit half of the kills are infantry because i often run out of ammo, and like reverse spawn farming.
    Still consider myself every armors nemesis. What most Heavies misunderstand: Running towards vehicles is your Job. Always, not since XP buff. That what i did since start. You'll be amazed how skilled you can get. I land hits on targets my squadmates dont even try pot shots at, because too far, too fast moving ect.
  20. Astealoth

I don't see why the striker is just an Annihilator clone with some tweaks. the ESRLs should all be a little more similar in function. Not exactly the same, but they should be able to serve a similar function. the lancer and phoenix are both used for directing damage on an enemy target in a sneaky manner. the striker should be more like a tow missile, so it could fill the role of the lancer and phoenix while having it's own feel. TR basically has no ESRL, they just have another lock on option which serves no greater use than the annihilator. it's basically only for scaring people away with lock on warnings, which is just as well done with the annihilator.

if the striker was changed to be laser guided, the ESRLs would be far more balanced. the VS give up steering capabilities for velocity, the TR give up the up close view of a camera guided for the ability to defend one-self while firing, and the NC give up self defense while firing for the up close view provided by camera guiding.