over 1500 fired, over 1000 direct hits, 10 kills, does that sound OP? Guess the weapon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by St0mpy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. VengeanceD

This post made me smile. All you gotta' do is ditch down, you call that "Evasive manoeuvres"?
  2. Finestyle

So the persons you are using the weapon against are dying. Maybe the person that killed them was using a striker too, or bursters, or any other HA rocket, or c4, or mines..... Point is they are dying otherwise you wouldn't be getting any points. None of the ESL's can outright kill heavy targets in one volley/shot. If you are hitting something you are taking away its health/armour, just because you don't always get a kill doesn't mean it isn't effective. The OP has a 69% accuracy rating, those shots might not have resulted in kills but they will surly have helped out his team towards removing enemy assets from the field. Just saying.
  3. loleator

Does nothing since good pilots have realized that they can lolpod then afterburn past the terrain even without using flares. It's an USELESS weapon but EVERYBODY complains about TR when NC is the most OP faction and stats with servers being close to 50% NC reflect that fact. A squad with these? Use flares lolpod and then afterburn past terrain. You stay like an idiot and get killed? Don't worry, they would have killed you with the other lock ons, Anihilator or Grounder too, since you can't stand a 3 mans worth of damage of any lock on. Was there just 1 guy? You have so much time with flares and his lock ons timer then get hit then afterburn... also after getting hit after so much time you would have to repair anyways then come for more so what's the problem? VS got the best antivehicle launcher, NC got the best antivechicle and anti infantry (which means no more enemies using theirs) in the end but nobody complains about NC or VS...

I once calculated how much time can a pilot hover and laught at an unfortunate TR soldier carrying the Striker before lolpodding him and afterburning out of there. It was ridiculous and makes me wonder why they complain.
    Well I know, it's because they are like this:

Also, it's bugged and does no damage 90% of the time now.
  4. Guadoc

Lock, Down, break lock, try to come back up to actually do something

Lock, down, break lock, try to come back up to actually do something

Lock, down, break lock, try to come back up to actually do something

Is that more exact for you?? Tell me how that is fun for non-TR players?
    • Up x 1
  5. Guadoc

I don't know why I'm even responding to this as you have clearly lost your rag but nobody (or me anyhow) is saying the TR are overpowered, just that the mechanic of lockons are a bit annoying when 30% (obviously this is a guess) of the TR troops are carrying lockon launchers that work against all vehicles. It isn't the weapon itself, it is the numbers.

I personally enjoy fighting against the TR as I always feel like I'm in a fair fight, now I don't feel like that with the Vanu at the moment - I don't know what has happened recently but on my server it is more like 50% VS population during alerts. Maybe they are just super organised on my server but at the moment it feels like we are fighting a brick wall when we go up against the VS, maybe something has changed in the latest buff/nerf cycle? Definitely feels like the 4th faction of strange people who switch sides to whatever is the FotM have moved over to VS.
  6. St0mpy

No they arent dying, we are getting all the hit XP and some vehicle kill XP after they bail (not often, its mostly the impact XP), but only 10 people in 1000 hits actually died in or around their vehicle. It just makes score and doesnt really deal with anything, it just pushes them back briefly till they repair and are ready to try again, very frustrating.
  7. PaperPlanes

This thread just kind of sums what happens when you try to clone Battlefield 3 and make it into an MMO. BF3 is a good game (well, good enough, nothing amazing by any means) and it works pretty well with the way it is balanced because you're limited to up to 64 players in a map. While some of the maps will give you an illusion that 64 people is a lot because they're designed to funnel and centralize the action, 64 people is really quite small. With 64 people (or less, I might add), things are just much more balanced, there is always a limit on the things being used in a fight...if a group is doing dedicated Javelin spam, it means that's a group of people that is not on the front lines, so out of 32 people, if 6 or 8 of them are in a group spamming lock-ons, their main fighting force is at a numerical disadvantage in terms of direct combat.

But when you translate this to PS2, there is no disadvantage. There are so many people in any given fight that a lot of infantry can safely sit around and just spam anti-vehicle weapons and there's really no tradeoff with their team's overall effectiveness. PS2 just caters so much to "do whatever you want, when you want, without any real consequences" and the end result is things like endless lock-on spam, endless flak spam, tank zerging, air zerging, whatever. Now, there is nothing INHERENTLY wrong with this type of gameplay, PS1 basically had this as well, but the problem comes with the fact SOE tried to make PS2 a Battlefield game set in the future, complete with nearly identical TTK.

So many of this game's problems stem from how fast things die. Again, this is fine in some games. It makes small scale shooters like Counter-Strike very intense, it makes medium sized games like BF3 feel more like a real battle, but it makes a game like PS2 turn into a giant derpfest where all strategy and skill go out the window in favor of mindless spam. It does this because the people spamming bigger weaponry know how easily they can kill things and, in turn, infantry who would otherwise want to go for an objective just end up camping or endlessly corner peaking because they don't want to just die 15 times in a row to just POTENTIALLY get on the objective.

Sorry, SOE. I know you had high hopes for PS2, but you were in uncharted waters here. You made the first MMOFPS that was basically a clone of BF3 and it turns out this design does not work so well, people need more staying power in an MMOFPS, otherwise everything is just a spammy meatgrinder that quickly bores people to tears. PS1 was a lot better due to a higher TTK and slower overall gameplay, you did the exact opposite in PS2 and it has caused a lot of issues.
  8. TR4ever

I love the striker.

Striker packs are the best thing the TR ever got.
  9. Finestyle

Are you seriously trying to argue that mostly all of those 23,111 points came from hitting aircraft that was never destroyed (i.e. you didn't get any kill assist xp?)... seriously?

Arguing that someone bailed and didn't die doesn't count, you still helped remove an asset from the field, and would still have gotten vehicle kill assist xp.
    Arguing that it "pushes them back briefly till they repair" doesn't count as you removed an asset from an area of engagement for a period of time. The fact that you or your team mates couldn't finish them off is not a reflection on how bad the striker may or may not be.

Sounds to me like you're just upset that you personally don't get to kill someone every time you unload some rockets... there's a bigger picture you know... look a little harder and you may see it.

OFC I'm talking bugs aside... if you're experiencing misfires or weapon hits not registering due to a bug then that's different, but again doesn't reflect on how effective the weapon is when functioning properly.
  10. Flag

Having seen several "discussions" about the striker here on the forum, it seems the deterrence of vehicle assets(aka area denial) isn't seen as an advantage by some TR(not all, but a fair few).
    I've personally been yelled at for bringing it up in the past(people saying it means nothing, or isn't important - yeah right), but honestly, it can be really frustrating to deal with.

While I agree the striker is boring by design, it's not bad. Not even close.
    It's easy to use(yeah it is), there's a lot of them, and when it's not bugged, it's presence is felt by both NC and VS.
    Then again, it's not OP. And that damage bug on some of the rockets should hopefully be fixed soon.

I've heard, time and time again, that some (I know, it's a minority of total TR numbers) ForumSide2 TR warriors want dumb fire on it.
    If put on the current striker, it would become OP. Admit it, it would.
    But if the launcher was re-designed in a major way, then we can come back to the dumb fire question, if needed.
  11. Skippytjc

Once I can actually fire it, they do hit most of the time. But I get to fire it maybe 1 out of 15 -20 times I try to get a lock on. Factor in the very low damage and it sucks. So for you to be upset you cant out run it is moronic considering Ive tried to actually get a shot off 15 times before I succeeded.
  12. Advanced Darkness

Yeah this thing works pretty much as it did in PS1 except here the lock on time is much longer. I played my TR for a few days most of which because of my striker. For a while i was like "man this is too easy" then i realized how exposed i was in all directions and the air. I dont think the thing sucks i do think, just like in PS1, its comparable to its 2 faction counter parts.
  13. bNy_

Not really. The only time I don't find the striker annoying at all is when I'm flying over a big friendly zerg and we're capping against very limited number of people.

If there is a whole enemy platoon or similar you will get the lock on message asap you enter the war zone. It's not hard to avoid getting hit, however it makes it near impossible to operate within the region.

Create a NC/VS char, grab an ESF and go to a zone where plenty of TR are fighting. You most likely wont die, but please tell us how much SPM you managed to get.
  14. Vixxing

Sucks at getting kills with... sure you can use it to steal kills and sponge XP off your teammates but you wont contribute at all...
  15. Flag

Kills are "meaningless".
    Preventing vehicles to do their roles is what the ESRLs should be about.
    Like denying air space, killing sunderers etc.

It may be a bit lacking on the score reward, but if that's all that matters to you, then I'm afraid you're missing out.
  16. Vixxing

What matters to me is making an impact and helping my team and i.e engineer turrets do what the Glancer does just 10* better...
  17. Vixxing

Sure i can stand around like an idiot with the Glancer and make 1 hit on each tank getting xp but wont help team at all... killsteal/assistxp-weapon, anyone who uses it is a pisspoor teamplayer...
  18. MasonSTL

lol ASSIST XP. yeah assisting isn't team work at all :rolleyes: KILLSTEAL. wow haven't heard that term since I have last played a game that has free for all death matches :rolleyes: YOU, SIR, ARE A PISS POOR TEAM PLAYER;)
  19. Vixxing

So using Glancer and inflicting zero damage is better than an engie turret doing 10* more damage?
  20. S0LAR15

I hate the Striker more than any other launcher, it needs a nerf tbh.