New explosion noise when JJ with light assault!

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by SharpeShooter, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilentWindOfDoom

About freaking time. What jetpack in what universe is silent? It's super counter intuitive, no-one in their right mind would design a game that way. So good on SOE for finally changing it. This is an indirect nerf to LA, which sucks for them. THe class will likely need a re-balancing, but the sound is going to stay. You're not batman. Why don't you watch the PS2 trailer and see what the LA protagonist is up to.
    • Up x 2
  2. WookLordz

So fix infiltrator, don't nerf LA.
    • Up x 3
  3. RomulusX

It'll be alright. You'll learn to be on guard a little more.
  4. WookLordz

Probably a universe in which, when you die, you are immediately clone resurrected.
    • Up x 5
  5. Hagestol

In a universe with immortality, floating tanks, rail guns, plasma guns, aliens and yeah, your argument is so bad I don't have more words.
    Okay a few: We don't have the tools from the movie. Give us the ability to scale galaxies then, magnetic boots, better guns for range as we'll be fighting at longer range now. But no, they pushed our pass but left in the nerf.

Audible out to 60m ish, but you'll get to test that soon enough. Any competent player can now lock down bases from LA vanguard players/squads. They'll also hear you from inside buildings so you get to run out and kill the LA that is just passing by. Fun.

That LA isn't supposed to be better than INF is a fallacy because 1: We were designed this way in alpha, the site is newer and wrong. 2: we don't have the tools for the head on fights this brings 3: INFs suck. Sorry, the class needs a major overhaul. Then again, so does the LA according to stats. We need more LA and INFs, not less LA.
  6. WookLordz

Yeah, because that's all anyone needed to do to prevent getting killed by a LA with a silent jetpack.... but instead of getting some situational awareness, the HA/engi crowd whined about it.
    • Up x 3
  7. Syphers

No it's ******* not.
  8. Goretzu

Didn't, true, but they can now.

The problem was IMO they were stuck in a dead end with LA as they were, unable to buff them without first reducing their ability to move around without an effective counter.
  9. SilentWindOfDoom

Oh, how terrible. You can bypass the shields and walls of any facility at any time, perch on top of rooftops no-one else can get to in a world where people hardly ever look up. God forbid someone actually hears you doing it if they happen to be attempting to defend the facility. Loud jetpacks just make sense, full stop. Just like guns being loud, aircraft not being dead quiet and explosions not being silenced. Sure it is a indirect nerf to LA, but silent jetpacks are a crutch that don't make any sense from a game design point of view. Call for a LA re-balance all you want, but demanding jetpacks stay silent is just plain silly.
    • Up x 2
  10. FluffyM

I'm almost entirely certain that the counter to jetpacking is shooting the slow-moving ejit floating above you square in the face, but hey, I could be wrong.
    • Up x 3
  11. KAHR-Alpha

If the same sound is going live in two hours I'm going to play LA much less than I used to, it's 1) terribly annoying 2) incredibly loud .
    • Up x 4
  12. Hagestol

Immortality doesn't make sense, full stop. Floating tanks? Railguns that work in minimized versions? No sense there. Stealth fields? Don't even exist, remove those.

It is a direct nerf to LA as it only affects LA. An indirect nerf to LA would be a nerf to weapons and abilities that everyone gets access to.

Demanding jetpacks stay silent isn't silly, it is the way we were designed from alpha. They delayed our balance pass and attached a nerf without any other buffs - this to a class that is the second worse ingame.
    • Up x 2
  13. Goretzu

Nothing has changed in that regard, but again audiable noise means it potentially can.
  14. tastyBerryPunch

Meh. I play LA most of the time and considering how clueless players are of their surroundings this will barley have an impact on my LA runs. I don't see it as much of a problem.
    Now if the forum whining over this nerf continues and they buff the LA and give them assault rifles then that would be funny.
    • Up x 1
  15. SinerAthin

I'm too lazy, and I was hoping someone could record it for us and share it here :D
  16. SilentWindOfDoom

What i'm talking about is sound design. Everything makes noise to extent that you'd expect it to. Tanks rumble, jets roar, bombs explode and bullets make pew pew noises. Even hovering tanks make a substantial amount of noise, but jet packs don't? That's inconsistent. Inconsistency is terrible design.

An indirect nerf because it isn't meant as a nerf. SEO didn't go "LA is OP, they need a nerf". They likely went "The ****, silent jetpacks? Who was responsible for this? get the **** in here and boost the noise on these things."

If you're of the opinion games are designed and developed according to a set game plan then you're sadly mistaken. It is completely irrelevant that it has been like that since beta. Would it have been better had they addressed this sooner? Sure, but they didn't. Does it suck that they nerfed something without compensating with a boost elsewhere? Sure. Welcome to the club, we're all members.
    • Up x 1
  17. Wasdie

I play light assault all of the time and I don't really care. Right now they are more stealthy than infiltrators. This was a needed change to balance out the classes a bit.

Besides in a big battle, you won't be able to hear them through all of the noise anyways. Stop being over dramatic.
    • Up x 1
  18. Aegie

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmUavphHXmIxdFhHUzJfN1VYalRnWS0xMnBUdTJpM1E&gid=33

LA is the only class without a tool.

2x the number of people who play LA play HA or Engineer. The only class played less often than LA is the Medic.

LA is the second least scoring class in the game. On average, HAs outscore LAs by 1,000 points per hour; Engineers outscore LAs by 2,000 points per hour; Medics outscore LAs by about 1,500 points per hour. The only class outscored by LA is the Infiltrator.

This data is prior to the sound effect changes. If the change in the sound effects has the intended consquence of making the LA more obvious then we can expect these class discrepancies to increase.

One would think that the two least scoring classes in the game (LA and Infiltrator) would get buffs not nerfs. It is as if people said, "LA is better than Infiltrator so nerf LA" without realizing that both LA and Infiltrator are the least rewarding classes to play. I know, make LA perform as well as the worst performing class instead of bringing two of the least played and least rewarding classes in line with the others- good job.

Points (and thereby certs) are the only reward provided in the game and can be used in place of real money. So why would I continue to play LA when clearly HA, Engineer, or Medic would be far more rewarding to play? Oh, thats right, like an idiot I put certs into one of the least used and least rewarding classes to play- I suppose I should have focused on HA or Engineer like everyone else.

It's also probably more difficult to lead a Forumside attack against HA and Engineer considering those two classes make up about 57% of the playing population.
    • Up x 4
  19. Goretzu

They are looking buffs, they has them once upon a time, it's not out of the question they could get them back.

But again this is an option having a audiable noise on the Jetpack opens up.
  20. SinerAthin

A good point.

Being able to reduce how much sound it makes to you but not anyone else sounds perfectly reasonable. It would allow more comfort to the LA user while at the same time not affecting balance or gameplay.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.