Increasing Performance with PlanetSide 2

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TSR-SeanF, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Deexeh

I was having some terrible FPS issues at any quality. I found that even waiting for updates it never got better.

So I downloaded Speedfan (free, great program) to monitor the heat within my system, sure enough during gameplay my system was overheating.

Overclocked my GPU's fan speed to always run at 40%+ and the system remained relatively cool throughout gameplay, no lag, no issues.
  2. Nolicense

i would like to know on the fps meter what the colors actual mean on the gpu. when it goes yellow does that mean heat is higher or just that the card is being utilized more than when it was when green?

also to help with fps and all around performance make sure you have music turned off or the slider down to zero.
  3. Nolicense

bump
    anyone know?
  4. Snoozzzer

/\ For me, when it says CPU in red, it's because the cpu usage is maxed out.

For any googlers - I have a laptop with an NVDIA 640M LE chip, and had been getting 25 fps or so on low settings. However, upon changing the CPU intensive options to high ( Terrain quality, Particle quality, Effects quality) my fps is now stable at around 40 fps. (This even with lighting enabled at low)

Moral of the story is the same as has been mentioned several times throughout the forums - lower graphics settings doesn't always mean better performance, but in fact the opposite can be true
  5. MrCairngorm

Well most of this can be found in all sorts of forums, i gathered list of methods that yielded most FPS and made video, with instructions how to do it------->
    • Up x 1
  6. R3dBeaver

Ok, my turn.

I got a Q6600 G0 running at 3.6Ghz stable on 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM on ASUS P5Q-Turbo board, but with a Geforce (Nvidia ref) 660Ti running at 150Mhz higher cpu core and 256Mhz higher mem core.

All on 1680x1050 screen on Win8.

So in essence, pretty darn good GPU on an old legendary CPU...

I did follow the instruction in the OP and concluded changing the rendering didn't really affect it, just to further prove it's most likely my CPU+RAM instead of my GPU...

So I tried using Ultra High settings on that resolution, and going medium or low on Terrain, Particle, and Effects. And it's done real good. I got around 40 - 60 FPS (40 - 50 on Ultra but lets stick to High for now) on fairly busy VR zone just looking around, zooming into ADS, and shooting some dummies.

Everything is well.

My problem is when the fighting gets hectic, something like 20 - 30 people within 100ft, a couple of vehicles, etc.... it drops to 20 - 25... sometimes dipping under 20.

SO... I understand they are doing optimization, and I live in East cost and playing on Waterson, so roughly around 30-35ms ping, so network isn't bad at all... but what can I do to improve this setup? I love playing LA so I'm usually right there in the thick of battle trying to dodge bullets and defying death (usually I lost), so I could really use some improvements on the hectic firefights.

Thoughts/tips/comments/criticism? :)

Thank you so much in advance!

PS: I love motion blur and I do turn it on since turning it off actually affects the FPS negatively... go figure...
  7. TheAppl3

@above: most direct route is replacing the Q6600. It just doesn't make the cut for PS2 in huge fights.
  8. R3dBeaver

yeah, considering i will then need to replace the CPU, RAM, and mobo all at the same time, i dont think i have the budget at this point...

...any other suggestion?
  9. Paulus

Put up with it.
    • Up x 1
  10. R3dBeaver

right.

no change of plan then. thanks.

lol... i'm disappointed with the replies, yet somewhat entertained.
  11. Paulus

Sorry fella, but if you already said "no" to the only practical solution (upgrading your hardware), that's your only other option.
  12. daniel696

Resuming the Thread = Play without graphics.
  13. R3dBeaver

how about non-practical solution? editing the .ini file? multicore stuff is applicable to Q6600? windows registry hack? anything?

anyone?

regardless, just came off from huge battle where my FPS dropped to 17 - 25... but u know what? it's still hectic n fun and i had a great time.

that's on Ultra.

coz dropping to Low gives me about 5 FPS difference lol...

so yeah. i'll hang in here until i save enough for a Hasswell and Z87...
  14. 4treyu

Just wait for the first big performance patch (supposedly coming this wednesday). The problem isn't your "old" CPU as much as the game being very unoptimized. It's already well known that many people with core i5s and even i7s are still having these problems while in big battles.
    • Up x 1
  15. R3dBeaver

ive been watching the videos, so yes, i have a high hope on the performance patch.

its glad to know that even on Ultra settings @1680x1050, im still having roughly the same performance as going Medium...
  16. TheAppl3

Entirely to be expected. A 660Ti is more than capable of ultra settings. A Q6600 unfortunately isn't as capable and will always hold you back unless they drastically improve performance, which I'm not exactly holding my breath for.
    • Up x 1