Increasing Performance with PlanetSide 2

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TSR-SeanF, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Hodo

Its odd, I noticed a slight increase in performance on my dual core rig.
    Last phase of beta I was getting these numbers
    Warp Gate: 20-25FPS
    Large Battles:5-10FPS
    Open area: 30-40FPS

This is what I had my settings at.
    Everything at medium except particles, shadows, and effects. Voice channels was set to 24, music volume OFF.
    Useroptions.ini tweaked view distance set to 750.00.

Live PS2 frame rates
    Warp Gate: 25-30FPS
    Large Battles 8-15FPS (rarely dips down to 5)
    Open area: 40-45FPS

I tested in the SAME areas as I did in beta, using the crown for large fights, and one map hex north of the TR warpgate for open area.

I am going to check to see if my NVIDIA GPU settings are the same for Planetside2 after uninstalling the beta and installing the live. I may have to go back through and reset those settings again. I am also going to check the soundcard drivers, and nvidia drivers.

One post that vanished with the beta forums was the Nvidia GPU config settings tweak. I can confirm that PS2 is CPU hungry, but it for some reason gets better the more load you put on the CPU and force the GPU to take some of the work.

Specs
    AMD Athlon 5600+ X2 Dual Core 2.80GHZ CPU
    6GB DDR3 1666 RAM
    500GB HDD
    Nvidia 260GTX GPU
    Win7/64
  2. Will Crisaegrim

Glad you said something.
  3. Ruymand

How about you guys optimize the game and fix the bugs that still exist........ Or is it already supposed to be optimized
  4. drzerg

can RenderDistance be changed ingame or only in .ini file which is forbidden?
  5. Hodo

Cant be changed in game as far as I know.

Only .ini.
  6. Chancellor Gowron

I am still majorly CPU bound, but PS2 barely even utilizes 40% of my CPU!

I know it doesn't make sense to compare performance with BF3, but it always utilizes 90%+ of my CPU.
  7. brandonjclark

Folks, let's not beat around the bush here. While they had a great game to build on the fact is it's a poorly-coded mess of performance. It's quite literally the worst performing game I've played ever and I've been into gaming for 30 years on all accounts.

No, this is not OUR fault for not having the latest systems. Who in there right mind would release a F2P game that turns away so many due to performance? SONY!

Either they fix it to make it more efficient or this is my first and last post EVER on the PS2 site.
    • Up x 2
  8. Hodo

You havent played Mortal Online then have you?
  9. TeknoBug

BF3 is very GPU bound, and Frostbite utilizes multithreading and will use all the cores your CPU has, it's one of the best game engines out there right now and is a good benchmarking game for hardware reviewers. Skyrim is also good for that too.
  10. ikeahase

No. This is simply wrong. SOE has to implement their code so that the client program does what THEY want and doesn't do what they DON'T want it to do. Blaming stuff like that on the customer is just wrong and can not be considered cheating.

It's like programming a web site with an admin interface that allows you to modify the server and making the admin interface accessable without a password on http://website.com/admin
  11. Sagara

Look, i spent a lot of money on my PC and i can play brand new games with full graphics without problem, and is not nice to have to low this much graphics to be able to play the game, and even with low graphics i get 15FPS on big fights.
  12. plat0nic

Yea, welcome to the club.. most people I know with near super computers, are seeing the same framerates. Worse yet sony has done nothing at acknowledging the specifics of this issue while many of us paying players are stuck out of the game with performance of up to half of what we saw in the beta, which was nearly unplayable as it was
  13. Svena69

14. deadlymint

Same here.

I have a PII x4 965 @ 3.4GHz, the game uses only 50% of its capacity. In BF3 it uses up to 90%.

And my card has low GPU usage in some areas, something that only happens in this game. Not even BF3 64 players has this problem.
  15. Beltway

Whats you set up Mint? I am actually planning on upgrading to that same processor you have. How does your game run with your set up?
  16. wigglez

I have a gtx 570, and set my graphics to medium. I get 10-15fps at the warp gate.

I can run games like eve and swtor on high settings. This game is pretty much unplayable.

Why is it so cpu intensive? Eats around 60% of cpu. Mechwarrior does this to with about 40% just sitting in the menus alone.

All my other games run just fine, and look great.
  17. Lolanger

I sadly have to quit playing PS2... around 30-40 fps at warpgate but as soon as there are some small/heavy fights around the fps drop to 9-10... i cant even aim...its totally frustrating and i really like this game but it does not make any sense... other games like gw2 dont lag at all...and i dont think that sony will change anything in regards to performance... maybe a bit but not enough so that i can play with 20+ fps
  18. Skizerz

Please... Sony... just set the game to use more GPU and/or let us have more graphics options, like shaders, antialiasing, and a slider that lets us set render distance without having to edit our useroptions.ini
  19. KT Samurai

Earlier I saw a post that said to increase the settings in order to force the GPU to do some work. After failing to achieve 15 FPS with the lowest possible settings and 1024x768 resolution I gave this a shot, knocking everything up to medium and going to my native resolution. It worked!

For awhile.

It seems that after running the game for a little bit my frames drop again. I know this because after participating in some big battles I went back to the warp gate, saw my frames were still low, and restarted the game. When I loaded up the warp gate again my frames were back up to 30+.

Why does this happen? Can I fix this somehow?
  20. Silus

I'm not even sure if I meet the minimum requirements for the game.

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2200Mhz (No idea if this is right)
    Memory: Total Physical memory @ 2,048.00 MB, Available @ 1.16 GB