Increasing Performance with PlanetSide 2

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TSR-SeanF, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Lazaruz

Can we get official word on this please? I would like to get better fps, but not if it's going to get me banned.
    Using common sense I would guess this is ok, since the bloody thing is called UserOptions.ini but you never know...
  2. DeadAlive99

I was shocked to see my gpu load down to 7-8%! The last couple of beta patches had me up to 20-30%. This is running on all low settings except for 1680x1050 so I can run full screen windowed.

How did they knock off 20 percentage points on the gpu load? :confused:

I just feel lucky that I can get 5 fps in big battles with my 5 year old dual core rig. All I can do is engy/med stuff, but it's something at least.
  3. nerdyguy2011

Please help! I have all the requirements but when I push "play" it makes a screen pop up and says, "Error G25"
  4. Lurrgyph

It might be worth a try to add planetside.exe to your whitelist of your antivirus program. Fixed my issue.
  5. o_oNmKo_o

OK SO Something very weird I read in the reddit post about FPS issues...

One guy said that If you have a really good Graphics Card and a pretty good CPU and are getting low fps with all settings low you should try it on max everything.. It will make the GPU work more so the CPU doesnt have to or something to that matter....

So now my FPS is actually 35-40 in a heated battle were it was 15-20. And my GFX look smashing. :p win win...

Still tho I can see where I need to upgrade my CPU...

This overclocked Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 doesn't seem to have enough power. i7 it is :p
  6. Gezak

Same for me.
  7. F U P S

Didn't work for me NmKo
  8. Acceleratio

Yes i knew about this already... the fact is that there is no noticable difference at all for me.
  9. o_oNmKo_o

Oh trust me I agree. Even with the Fps being low at times Its still fun to play. I cant see me playing BF3 over this for a while..
  10. moeppling

p2 x4 955 @ 3,6ghz + HD6870 1gb + 4gb DDR2 =
    Battlefield 3 @ constant 60fps (medium/high)
    Planetside 2 @ 10fps large battle (40-60% CPU load), 30fps Warp Gate (less then 50%)

Something's wrong, and it even got worse after the Beta :-/
  11. BlueSmiley

I have played in beta and I have edited the useroptions multiple times.
    They had a topic like this one back then too. Really, it's safe. I have already edited my useroptions myself.
  12. ikeahase

Getting banned for editing an ini file?! It's a goddamn file on your computer. Only US americans could come up with the idea that it could be forbidden to edit a file on your computer.
    • Up x 1
  13. freeze

then we have the same issue with the removal of fog...

you can do that by editing files in the PS2 folder... and it's not allowed

as far as I know theur current stance is:

"if ya can't edit it ingame, you're not allowed to change it"
  14. Zohnar

I am running an Nvidia 8400 gs 512mb and normally I can actually play a lot of high end games with Shadows turned off. I have tried turning shadows off (ShadowQuality=0) (I assume that's how you would turn it off) but the game simply wont turn on with any modification to the .ini. I just comes up with an error screen that has no identifying error message.

I get like 5fps in unpopulated areas with all options on low. I doubt ill be able to play the game unless its possible to turn shadows off. I am surprised the options don't exist normally.

Any ideas on how I might go about raising performance? The card is just under minimal requirements. Its odd when I can play games like Crysis well.
  15. plat0nic

The client is actually made for your CPU at the expense of us i7 users. You most likely will blow your wad on a new CPU and findyour performance is exactly the same, maybe even worse
  16. zijin_cheng

I didn't think this game would be so taxing. The graphics are definitely not better than crysis warhead, and yet I'm getting 40fps in huge fights :(
    I turned down everything (except view distance, its always at max) and now its ok, around 55fps.
    I understand you guys are making this scalable to all computers by using DX9, but is it possible to include a patch that utilizes some new tech so our rigs won't stress out?
    • Up x 1
  17. Will Crisaegrim

Setting priority in task manager to realtime

I still havent built my pc yet but I just saw a video on youtube (xbox) from Batoot97. Cant link as Youtube is weird with ads on my phone. I cannot confirm as I have no PC yet but it makes sense

Ill paraphrase

Run the game then minimize.
    Run task manager.
    Go to processes tab.
    ( Dont know if necessary, but he said " check show processes from all users" at the bottom )
    Right click Planetside 2
    Set Priority/ Realtime

Im a layman & havent messed with win 7 or 8. Assuming this helps, im wondering if you have to do this every time you fire up the game. Itd be nice if you didnt.

Check it out guys, lemme / everyone know if this helps
  18. RaTzo

Folks BF3 is a buffed console game... comparing the performance you get in that game with PS2 is like comparing your Quake 3 performance to you BF3 performance... it's simply not comparable. In BF3 you have 6-8 land vehicles and 4 aircraft on the entire map... In PS2 I have that many right beside me at any given moment and 3 times that in view... not to mention the 200 players in addition to the vehicles, and on it goes... BF3's Frostbite 2 is a very good engine but it simply is not comparable to PS2.

In the end the Devs have said they are continuing to work on performance. Frankly I'm amazed that I can even play this game given that my CPU and Mobo are 4-5 years old!

I've edited my UserOptions.ini to set the render distance to 2000 and that helped me. I also lowered my audio tracks and a few other things. Except in the biggest of battles I have playable frame rates all the time.
  19. Schmoodles

Live; No .ini tweaks; Outside big battles: 45-60 fps on high/low settings, big battles; 25-31fps(never under 25 tho, what the?)
    Beta: .ini tweaks; Outside big battles: 30-50 fps on any settings, big battles 5-20fps.
    I seriously hope we're allowed to edit the .ini, I'd love to get some minor boosts to my fps. :p
  20. ExarRazor

setting things to realtime priority is very bad for your computer.

high is ok though
    • Up x 1