Increasing Performance with PlanetSide 2

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TSR-SeanF, Nov 20, 2012.

1. vonkleist

edit button not working, meh
  2. Rokks

I noticed very strange thing. While im at warp-gate (or bigger base) it doesnt matter how many players are around I have like 45-60 fps on high settings. But when ever I look in the general direction of an enemy (it doesnt matter how many of them there are, it doesnt matter event if there idle) my performance gets choppy, fps goes down to 15-23. Also It decreases overtime just by standing at warp-gate. I have tried low settings fps is a bit higher at warp-gate, but there is no difference while looking in the general direction of an enemy. As I said it could be even only one enemy player, fps still drops down to 15-23.

Im running:
    AMD FX-6100 @3.4Ghz
    nVidia GTX 650 Ti
    8GB of ram ddr3
    Windows 7 64bit
  3. Nightrunner

[PS2] Recommended System Specs

Optimal Recommended System Requirements
    • Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher Check: Intel i7 965 @ 3.36 Ghz, 4 cores
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM Check: 8 GB RAM
    • Hard Drive: 15 GB free Check: game runs from SSD with 80+ GB free
    • Video Memory: 1,024 MB RAM Check: 1,536 MB GDDR5
    • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher Check: nVidia GeForce 580 GTX
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible Check: you better believe it
    Yay, looks like my PC meets - and in some areas exceeds - the RECOMMENDED system specs for Planetside 2. Awesome, right? You would think the game would run perfectly on my rig then. You would be wrong.

FPS at the warpgate spawn point after logging in: 60+ (perfect)
    FPS in a mid-scale combat (random hotzone deploy) during the first hour after logging in: 28 ... 60+ (not perfect, but ok; I can live with that)
    FPS in a mid-scale combat (same as above) after 2-3 hours of game time: 15 ... 40 (totally not ok, drops below the relative perceptual stuttering boundary of 25 fps start to happen way too often the longer I play)
    FPS in a large-scale combat after 2-3 hours of game time: 7 ... 25 (no comment)

(all settings on high except those the original post recommends to reduce for CPU-bound systems; lowering the rest of them has no impact on the problem)

So yeah, SOE. Please:
    a) fix your memory leaks so the game performance does not degrade over time
    b) optmize the game so major battles - the feature that makes this game really stand out - are actually enjoyable on your RECOMMENDED system specs.

I love the game so far, and even bought a sub to support it. But if this is going to persist, I'm going to have to cancel and leave for greener pastures elsewhere.
  4. Incinerat0r

No you shouldn't, the 650m is a slow card and is the equivalent of roughly a 8800GTX / 4770 which is right on the minimum specs. The mobile version of GPU's are a lot slower than their desktop counter parts, see http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32571-7.html
  5. thamstras

I'd just like to say I've been fiddling with my settings for a while, and its seems lowering render quality is the biggest thing you can do.
  6. Leops

I have a notebook with a i5 2520 2.5 GHZ, 6GB RAM, GeForce GT540M 1GB, W7 64 SP1 and 1 TB hardrive. I get 30-40 FPS while in a base crowded with alies. But when i get face to face with a single enemy, my fps drops to 5 or less. Large battles are, then, unplayable. Can I have hope to run this game with at least stable 30 fps someday without having to upgrade my hardware? Or I better forget about playing PS2 with my lil' samsung rf511?
  7. wigglez

Instead of just system hardware, why not post post benchmark results so we can get a better idea of what level everybody is on. Here's mine.

3dmark06
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17007293
    Score
    10689 3DMarks

SM2.0 Score

HDR/SM3.0 Score

CPU Score
  8. Stig1

Ok, everyone. I HAD the same performance-promblems.

My system:
    • Windows8
    • AMD Athlon x2 6000+
    • 4 GB RAM
    • ATI Radeon HD 4890
    Same story as the most of you people: FPS ~30-40 when logging in, drop to absolutely unplayable in middle or large battles.

After being frustrated and logging off, I noticed that my CPU usage was about 60% when I downloaded a large file. The reason was my anti-virus-program (avast! in my case ) which uses a real-time web-shield, checking every downloaded package.

After turning the web-shield off, the game runs fine. :)

Short:
    Try to disable the web-shield of your anti-virus-software, maybe it will help.
  9. Nightrunner

Posting for justice the only "fps increase" trick from these forums that worked for me - disabling the shadows. Not turning them down to low, but disabling them, which is currently only possible by editing the .INI file (shame on you, SOE).

Go to your UserOptions.ini and make sure that:
    ShadowQuality=0
    OverallQuality=-1

(OverallQuality value of -1 corresponds to custom video settings, and is necessary - otherwise PS2 will ignore and reset your .INI graphics settings upon launch).
    This, coupled with lower RenderDistance value, seems to have boosted the lower end of my framerate by the so much needed 10-12 fps in massive battles, no more slideshow in critical moments.
  10. fish998

Could staff look into why performance drops over time?

Play for 3-4 hrs, observe your framerate for a few minutes, and note the intensity of the battle, then log out and back in, and go back to the same intense battle and you'll notice the game is now running way better. I guess it's some threads not getting closed correctly, or maybe memory leaks. It's actually a good idea to log out and back in every 2-3 hrs because of this.
  11. Leops

After reading lots of ps2 threads about performance, I did some things that sightedly improved mine. First of all, I changed some lines of the UserOptions.ini to this specific values:

[Rendering]
    TextureQuality=0
    RenderDistance=1000

[Sound]
    SampleRate=44100

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=Off

[VoiceChat]
    ProximityEnabled=0

Other two things I did that helped to improve performance a little more: unparked my cores and started to use razer game booster.

After all of this, my fps improved from the 30-40 to 50-60, with 70 peaks, at base, and 15-25 at huge battles. Rarely it still drops more, but never to less then 10. I can say that ps2 is now playable to me. Not with the quality that I want, not with the performance that will let me use all of my skill, but at least it's playable.

One important thing: I did it all because I really needed in order to be able to play. I'm not in favor of modding game files to get in game advantages over other players. Other thing to consider is that this particular set of configurations and boosters helped me, but may not help other systems specs.

There is a thread were ppl are discussing about SweetFX. Some ppl claim that it helped to improve their performance. I tried it myself and had no performance results at all.

I got all of this information from different sources and I lost the links from some of them. But, there goes the links I still have:
    http://quantumdawn.enjin.com/forum/m/6670214/viewthread/3905113-performance-tweaks-thread/post/last
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/sweetfx.53277/
  12. deadlymint

Like crap.

Get Intel.

AMD isn't worth it in the CPU world anymore.
  13. Beltway

too late already got it, coming in tomorrow. Some people say they can play decently in large battles, and either way i look at it. It's a upgrade for me. I dont have the resources for an intel based pc, way out of my price range right now.
  14. iDante

so many uber PCs and yet u guys fps suks oO
  15. croatian987

Hello, for the first time!
    My pc:
    Hardware:
    WINDOWS 7 64
    motherboard: ASRock > N68C-GS FX
    processor: AMD FX X6 6100 BOX
    graphics Card: PCI-E GIGABYTE AMD RADEON HD 7750
    memory: 8gb ddr3 1600 MHz

FPS low in big battle only 20. Can i do something?
  16. teks

My PC doesn't really meet requirements and I had to get real hardcore to make things work.
    This 6 yr old beast has an athlon x2 3600, 2 gigs of ram, and a nvidea 8600gt
    My bottleneck comes mostly from processing speed, so its vital I free up as many resources as possible.

STEP 1
    Download linux, seriously, don't use your gaming OS to surf the web, and pick up all the malware the web has to offer. Duel boot into linux for anything other then gaming. You need every Mhz of processing speed, every kilobyte of ram. Don't waste it!
    Step 2
    Take canned air, clean your PC, especially around the processor heatsink. Then go into your BIOS and OC the hell out of your processor. You can do this by maxing the CPU multiplier and slowly increasing the front side bus speed. If it unstable try lowering the ram bus speed.
    Just to play planetside 2 I had increased my front side bus speed from 200 to 248, which took my 1.9 Ghz to 2.356 Ghz, nearly a 20% increase, and since it will fry my processor faster I will be forced to upgrade to the times faster (athlon x2 processors, they refuse to die I swear). I had to remove my case, and plop a deskfan next to the computer, but the temp is stable.
    In order to do this I bought a decent fan for 20 bucks. Highly recommended!
    Step 3
    Run your antivirus, run hijack this, run spybot search and destroy, run windows update, update all of your drivers
    Step 4
    Turn off EVERYTHING that your pc doesn't need to play planetside 2. uninstall your antivirus, turn off all windows pretty desktop crap (make your desktop look like its windows 2000). Hit Ctrl alt delete, in windows 7 you can drop your processes down to 34 or lower no problem. First go into services, and kill everything non vital. If your not sure google it, or just kill it and see what happens. Later on you can disable these services permanently from the control panel. Things like windows media, update daemons, windows update, security center, windows defender, print spooling, themes, WMI. KILL IT ALL!!!
    Now you can move onto processes, and use the same brutal prejudice on all processes not related to gaming. Windows sideshow gadget, anything with wmi or WMP in its name, trusted installer.
    Step 5
    Now that you've spent the day making your PC BSOD from all the tweaking you've done, and are confident there is not a byte of power going to anything non-vital follow the advice you see here. Open that INI file. Kill shadows, reduce render distance. All that Jazz. After you open the game Hit CTRL ALT DELETE again, set the planetside 2 process priority to high just for good measure.

If I can play this game so can youuuuuuu!!!!!
  17. Envous22

I have a nice 3gb Radeon 7970 and my graphics still look like a piece of ****. I can't go above 30 fps and in wide open areas I get like 23. The fps issue stays this way even when i have the settings at medium and at that point I said this honestly isn't worth my time. This is really bad and I don't even play the game because it's that un-enjoyable. Please optimize this game because it's very fun, but I'd rather play other games that are optimized and that I can run them at a consistent 60. I also shouldn't have to turn off everything that's running on my pc to get like 45 fps at most that's just ridiculous.
  18. Hatamoto

Yeah or .. STEP 1 : optimize the game to actually properly use the hardware it runs on. The ball is with SOE, always has been. After this we can start discussing how to tweak things to have the game run normally.
  19. NC_agent00kevin

I suppose after flipping through all of this Im lucky to get my 20fps in huge zergy battles with me Phenom II X4 B55 @ 3.83 ghz. I see 6 core and i7 rigs getting comparable performance. Of course, Ive done a lot of tweaking in BIOS.
  20. Psaldorn

Other rig:
    i5 3750K
    GTX 660 OC Windforce
    Zotec Z77-ITX
    8Gb Corsair RAM

A few weeks ago it ran PS on Med/High settings, no problems. 100% render. Any battle.

Tried it yesterday and get 60-100fps in Warpgate. Go to any sized fight < 10fps. Always [CPU] bound.

• Tried using all Low settings.
    • Tried using all High settings.
    • Tried using all Ultra settings. Pattern is the same.
    • Turned power management on to high-performance.
    • Turned shadows off completely
    • Tried 85% render quality and lower.
    • Fiddled with some BIOS options.
    • Turned audio channels down to ~25% of max.
    • Nothing seems to help. This machine is early identical to my main rig (see sig) apart from the i5/i7. Both are top-end "K" models.
    • Latest drivers (as of yesterday - 03/03/13)
    • The rig is only a month old, it can't be dust, the innards don't seem to be too hot. RAM doesn't get filled (according to windows resource monitor). Average CPU is "33%". Though it seems to be the same grap on all 4 cores which I somehow doubt.

Does anyone have any further advice?