Increasing Performance with PlanetSide 2

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TSR-SeanF, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Commodore8888

My framerates go from anywhere to 120+ in big air battles, down to 25ish in a LARGE zerg. The kicker is changing any of the graphics settings really doesn't matter for those with powerful setups it would appear. 570/i7860 OC to 3.5 here. A buddy with a sandybridge i5 and 670 has the same performance (not too big of a shocker there).

The game is extremely CPU intensive as we know, having to track all the various players, vehicles, data, etc. However I've noticed, as many others, the client doesn't appear to have been really set up to take advantage of potential resources such as being installed on a multi-core PC (read; the vast majority :/). The end result is you have a very CPU intensive application running on limited resources :(
    Compare to other engines mentioned such as frostbite that has been extensively optimized and shows it. I would like to play devil's advocate and think SOE has improvements in the pipeline, yet the talk of a "improved" engine with a no show is not so enthusing. Don't go around saying you have an overhauled system for release unless you're willing to prove it on launch day. Gamers are a notoriously finicky bunch capable of great hatred. Smed I'm sure, is well aware after the SWG NGE fiasco.

I can go to some of the most graphically demanding spots around (bases that have large vistas behind them during night + lots of lighting work) and occasionally get my framerate meter to flick over to GPU limited. The moment the client has to start tracking tons of players it bogs down, even if I'm staring at the floor.

I'd be willing to bet most folks are also CPU "limited". This isn't so great for a FTP as most processors in PCs these days are actually pretty decent and usually GPU limited
    • Up x 2
  2. wigglez

Why is it so cpu intensive? What does it do more than the other mmo's ?

It doesn't use multicore? Both of my cores were screaming when I had this game up, unless that has something to do with the os.

Mechwarrior does the same thing, uses 40 some percent of my cpu just in the menus, which is separated from the game itself. That game is in beta though to.

I really hope they fix this. I loved the first planetside
  3. Refugee

I think I'm above minimum Specs,

CPU: Q6600(Quad-Core) OCed 3.2ghz stable
    RAM:8GB
    GPU: 550GTX Ti SLi

Even if I set everything to 0, including audio, Outside of battles I'm only at 40 fps and in battles it drops to 15fps.

I've disabled everything, closed all programs, followed all tips, and STILL no luck. Any other suggestions?
  4. Sifer2

AMD Phenom 2 quad core.

CPU limited getting between 15-30 fps in any large battle. It's right on the edge of playable most of the time. Needless to say it severely impacts my play. I don't understand however when I should be falling right in the mid range in terms of recommended CPU specs. This with all the recommended options to improve CPU related performance on low. I guess AMD processor optimization just needs a lot of work.
  5. Iksniljiksul

None of this helps out effectively. Why does my brand new machine barely run this game on LOW?
    This makes no sense. Did not you optimize this to be a MMO (meaning lots of players in one area, more so then any squad based game) so that the majority of EXISTING builds can run this game with at least moderately high settings?

There is no reason why I should only get 17-29 fps with my computer. I am not replacing parts I scrounge up to get over the past year just to play a game that should be running a lot smoother then it does.

3GHz 6 core AMD cpu (for the record, I do not and will not buy Intel products)
    8GB ddr3
    545 1.5GB NVidia
    3TB sata 3
    64bit OS
    This is a lot more then your recommended, and WAY more then your minimum requirements. Everything is less then a year old.
    (Screw future hardware, in this economy nobody is buying electronic junk every couple of years, machines now need to last a long, long time. This economy will never get better, this is the end of the road. I.E. Think of what works NOW there is no LATER. Prosperity is OVER.)
  6. obi_james_kinobi

I cant seem to run PS2 very well, my specs are:
    Intel iCore7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 650M 2GB
    12GB ram

I should be able to play on HIGH settings, im getting 15fps on medium :(
  7. Tenente

Thank you very much for the tip! Apparently the power management of the windows 7 does not work very well with the Planet Side 2.
  8. Timeraider

Its only using 30% of my cpu, darn!

the game is CPU demanding.. yeah ofcourse it is if it only uses 1/3 of my cores.
  9. Naiphe

Also having problems.

intel quad 2.4 ghz processors. (forgot the details)
    nvidia 9600 gt 1 gig
    6 gb ram.

Windows 7 64 bit.

Got new nvidia beta driver installed (3.10 or whatever it was)

I know its not wonderful compared to modern day machines.

But I have everything set to low, and render quality to 75%. I also set view range to 1000 (down from 9999).

I'm getting 40-60 fps at warp gates, but only 15-25 at best during big combat situations such as base assaults etc, and the game looks completely horrible. I mean stone age horrible.

According to ingame fps it says its using my GPU, not sure what this means but when I checked my CPU while the fight is chugging along at 25 fps, its only using 30% of my CPU and 3.5 out of 6 gig of ram. These are total figures with windows 7 running aswell with all the usual processes.

Without win 7 the game is using a grand total of approx 12% of my cpu and about 1.5 gig of ram?

Something is very very wrong somewhere.
  10. Timeraider

HMm.. tried out the comment of some1 (cant remember who) who advised Throttlestop.
    Though my laptop does get heated slightly more. it did improve my fps by 10 (not much, but still welcome)
  11. Timeraider

We do still need optimisation and perhaps an 64 bit version would be VERY appreciated to
    • Up x 1
  12. Cydious

hi all

With an:
    I7 3770k @ 4.4ghz
    Gtx 680
    8Go
    SSD for win64
    SSD for planetside 2

Last beta drivers from nivida
    Power at max on nvidia control panel

When in warpgate base ,i've got 12 FPS with gigh graphiqs setting

Ive got 15 fps when put graphiqs/audio on low + render at 50%

Game is unplayable, when was in beta my fps was Always over 50 fps

I've uninstall completely and reinstall the game 3 times, i'm completely desparate and fustrated :(
  13. Cydious

I'm completely lost

More peoples or bases structures on screen the less my C.G card is used!

When there's nobody on screen the gpu charge goes up and fps is fluid
  14. Bacon Stripper

How would you turn down the sound quality? I've heard of lowering the sample rate, but there doesn't appear to be an option to do so.
  15. bylXaKoCMaTa

try the following before start game :
    delete/or rename npsoeact.dll , located in C:\Users\your user\AppData\LocalLow\Sony Online Entertainment
  16. hangkol

hi i am facing this problem while launching game http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6956/capturevyt.png i think u guys dev team should do come chainges in game graphics till the player log in game and get in game they should b no problem after player get in game he should have option to chainge game graphics performance what if the player's pc can run game in low graphics like ppl might played battlefield 3 or other high graphics games in they pc so i think u dev team should so some chainges in game graphics i hope dev team got what m saying ^_^
  17. p2vollan

So I tried to just sett every little setting to max(no Vsync) at 2560x1440. Loads up at warpgate, shows 50-60 fps loading the GPU, just as it should be doing. Jump into a galaxy, ride along with still a good 50fps average. When we arrive to a large scale battle at a tech plant PS2 seemly see it fitting to switch the load to CPU and drop my framerate to 25-30fps...

WHAT UP, SOE?
  18. Physiks

That is because your GPU is waiting on the CPU to tell it what to do and our CPU's are choking because the game only uses 2 cores worth of it. Your GPU will always max out at 99% unless its being bottle necked or you have a FPS limiter eq Vsync.
  19. o_oNmKo_o

Yea Im still seeing fps of 15-25 in large battles like at Bio Labs, and Tech Plants. Everyone on my voice is having the same issue except one of my friends with an 8core amd setup.(its killer)

We all exceed min requirements and cant play this game well. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get kills at 15-25 fps? ITS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE! We just get rolled over and over because of the lag. Only way we get kills is by capping bases that are not flooded with players.

Its just ridiculous.
  20. vonkleist

Windows 7
    i5025ook 3.3ghz
    8 gig ram
    radeon 6870 2g

all graphic settings to max in game

Everything runs smooth at all times, even in heavy crown and tech/lab battles with hundreds around rendering. I have seen 2 occasions where people are running in the air and one where a player was running in place, but I think those were their clients connection issues. Saw so many with problems on here, thought I'd throw one out that is working quite well.