Higby on Deathscreen killer indication changes

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by MasonSTL, Mar 11, 2014.

1. MostlyClueless

If someone's Q spotted you then you're on the minimap for the entire enemy faction to see. Someone you just killed is the least of your problems.
    • Up x 1
  2. Hosp

If he's in range yes. Otherwise the only thing that would give him off are tracers...if he misses. If he kills though, so much for stealth.
  3. Vaphell

oh really? TIL dying to BASR from behind and not knowing the exact direction from possible rear 270deg arc and dying to BASR from behind and knowing the killer is somewhere in this narrow stripe are exactly the same.

And why exactly does the resolution increase 6 fold in case of death, from rough 90 deg wide estimate for damage indicators to a tiny 15deg stripe when you get owned?
    • Up x 1
  4. axiom537

People spot lots of people all the time and might get lost in the noise, seeing the exact dorito that did the deed, will make a difference. If 5 or 6 Doritos are spotted in the general direction I was killed from is different, then me seeing a red line going to the exact dorito, which may have been a LA or sniper in a tree or in a window, which i will be able to determine since I will know exactly which on did it and where.
  5. MostlyClueless

I'm sure a situation where an Infiltrator tags along with you and then decides to use their deadly bolt action accuracy to shoot the one guy in an outfit who'll come ruin your stealth flank requiring you to enter into a TK war with them is going to happen all the time. You've convinced me. Revert immediately.
  6. Mormomboy

?
    I was just making a basic suggestion. My preference is none, but if they insist on having one, the least information the better.
  7. Decian

New players quit for 3 reasons: TTKs are ridiculously low with the inherent lag and game mechanics (Titanfall, a TRUE twitch shooter, has higher TTKs), Infantry weapon learning curves are not balanced (Even Higby admitted that NC is weak UNLESS you are a top end player - Only thing in the game they balance for "top end", NC weapons...), and blatant flaws with the client side hit detection mechanic.
    • Up x 1
  8. Wobberjockey

what i find hilarious was that in beta, the testers were clear: no kill cam
    it makes it into the road map: players downvote - no kill cam
    it makes it to PTS: the forums and reddit explode - NO KILL CAM
    if it makes it to love i wonder if they will finally get the point when most people just walk instead of talking to the wall any more
    • Up x 3
  9. Decian

We need to organize a "walk out." Get as many of the player base as we can to not play for 24 hours in protest of these changes.

I'm sure RadarX or one of his lacky mods will sweep in to crush this post but, hopefully some will see it before hand. It's becoming like soviet russia in here since Luperza left.
    • Up x 5
  10. LIKE A BOSS!

If this change even gets into the game I highly doubt I will ever play my favorite class anymore. It will make flanking with stalker cloak and crossbows useless and suppressors on snipers useless. It's just stupid I don't expect myself to be playing this game after the change is made. They are catering to players that probably played the game for 2-3 hours and people that play a game for a month or two than there loyal fanbase.
  11. LT_Latency

They added this so people have a better understanding of WHY they died

Now that they are dead, You could have moved from that spot. They know the direction you were in when you killed them but You have lots of time to not be in that direction when they return so that 15 deg stripe is alot wider now. As you could have walked pretty far in the the 15 to 20 seconds it could take to get back to a spot where they can fight you
  12. Littleman

I doubt most people will walk because of a kill cam. The situational awareness of most players is severely lacking. LA and snipers that find a hidey spot and just farm people are only frustrating those people. Frankly, these farmers are probably more devastating to the game's population than any kill cam could ever dream to be.

Another poster was right: those of us WITH situational awareness can already figure out where the killer fired from as we hit the dirt, usually because we're actually fast enough to determine the direction and reorient our view towards them before taking that final round. In the case of a headshot: hit marker.

And really, this feature would ONLY deter the camping farmers - a group NO ONE likes.

For what it's worth, I'll be happy with the CoD crowd at this point if that's what we end up with. We won't unless we already have that crowd of course (and the way most talk on these forums, probably do) but at least the servers might be populated again with time. If it's a choice between a lot of rude jerks or a handful of elitist jerks, I'll pick the former every time. This game needs new blood to survive. Get over having your position given away for killing someone and move around, like the rest of us trying to actually capture/destroy something.
    • Up x 1
  13. Wobberjockey

here's the thing though, a sniper or LA is only one man. they can die pretty easily, and they can only farm so fast. most importantly: they can be fought back against.

the things that really anger players are the libs, the tanks, the bulldog gals, that are immune to most infantry weapons. there really isn't much you can do when you walk out, the lib is so high up you can't hear it, and then the world explodes around you.

i'm not saying that snipers and la's don't farm, but i also refuse to accept full blame when snipers can and do affect the battle by flanking, as do LA's, HA's and stealth equipped vehicles.
    • Up x 2
  14. MasonSTL

Agreed. I think that the people that think that this will hurt their sneakiness aren't actually that sneaky to begin with if showing their general direction of their last known position is their main concern.

And to be honest I don't care how people learn this information, whether it is through the hit indicators or this 'silver platter' map, the gameplay will be pretty mush the EXACT SAME with this change. The only scenario brought up so far that this would be a legitimate concern is easily fixed with a decoy grenade.

For some reason people are overly concerned about how people learn the game, thinking that not having this in is going to put an end to the new generation uber casual gamers. Thinking that they are on a crusade to keep deep gaming alive and this is a battle that will be a clear victory towards that ultimate goal.

"Well I learned the game this way, why do they get to learn it that way?" give me a break.
  15. MasonSTL

People already know where they are flanking from at the same moment that this would tell us if not a second or two sooner. If someone flanks me and kills me I am already on comms saying "they are flanking from the north" before the death screen pops up.
  16. MasonSTL

Exactly. Forumside is like "Camping farmers suck, but lets keep them in the game... because I think I might be one of them."
  17. DxAdder

SOE has only one agenda for Planetside 2 and that is to make this game a mega hit on the Play Station 4.

They will change/dumb down what ever they have to to ensure this.
    • Up x 2
  18. Littleman

Here's the thing: Either they're ALWAYS MOVING thus information on the general direction their firing from isn't much use as it will be obsolete by the time they respawn (or coming from a mass of guys holed up at a checkpoint, in which case it's like "no $#!%,") or where they're firing from is all too obvious (see: howling pass and the cliff top overlooking it - snipers galore.) In every scenario, the ONLY guy that gets screwed by the kill cam "revealing them" is the camper that found a hiding spot most newbs and noobs keep exposing themselves to and never figure out, like tech plant legs.

Most experienced players can figure out where a round or rounds are coming from by the tracers, directional hit markers, audio direction, minimap dot (when applicable,) and generally the fact that Human beings are predictable animals and keep taking up the same freaking spots over and over and over and over, so using all this information in conjunction with One's own location of death means they can get within a good ballpark depending on the weapon used on them. Basically, if One knows to check their corners, rooftops, and minimize exposure to distant perches and outcroppings of cover, they''re good to go. The killcam is just an amusing outside reflection of their own mistakes and idiocy at this point.

Knowing all these spots isn't knowledge just handed to the newcomer. All they see is two red flashes and they're dead to a guy with an assault rifle they never even saw coming. Yeah, it's a pittance when liberators, tanks, and the like just obliterate them but then, chances are they've played Battlefield and are thus likely more tolerant towards tanks one-shotting them, and that game is probably 10x less forgiving on vehicles versus infantry.

A killcam gives the player a "this is what you looked like from this guys perspective" (probable answer: like a lemming) and maybe there won't be 2000 reports server wide every day.
  19. St NickelStew

And thankfully for everyone ... a dot on a map is not a killcam.
  20. St NickelStew

If PS4 folks will actually pay to play a game that PC players prefer to play for free ... then why not? If SOE doesn't make money on the game, then it will no longer continue to exist.