Flinch can never be balanced between the factions, remove it please

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by haniblecter, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Koadster

"some scrub TR with their machine pistole is lighting me up"

[IMG]

And before you reply, here ive found a picture that will encompass your reply

[IMG]
  2. Laraso

That's completely irrelevant to what I was saying.
  3. Eugenitor

Skill is mostly dead, here lies its corpse.

In a fast, server-side FPS with fairly high TTK and no flinch at all, if you have three weaker players against one good one, you can bet your left nut that the 1 WILL slaughter all three of them without blinking. This is why Quake Live uses the "tier" system; there's no way a gaggle of spray-and-pray noobs have a remote chance against genuine twitch lords.

Planetside 2, as a slower game, shouldn't be quite like that, but it's shifted way too far the other way. Making sniper rifles extremely hard to use. Making cloak nearly worthless. Explosive spam. The twitch mechanic. "I want to raise my KDR!" Max units. Can you imagine suggesting that maybe once in a while, in *any* other FPS (except maybe The FPS That Must Not Be Named and its clones), a player should just be able to spawn a very powerful infantry unit every so often? (Yes, yes, I know they can be killed, and I kill them regularly. They're still a "Power me now" button.)

And before anyone starts in about teamwork to defeat the powerful items, the tactic that actually works against vehicles- mass Annihilators- gets a loud, long chorus of forum screaming. Why? Because beating it requires infantry. Which might require FPS skill.

This skill business is also why you get so many people begging for Magrider nerfs, because the Magrider requires less skill to use (there, I said it) and tank driving requires an ability that most players simply don't have: the ability to move and shoot in different directions. A circle-strafing Magrider gets to the vulnerable rear armor of an opposing Lightning or MBT and wins.
    • Up x 6
  4. RaZz0R

It was me :p
  5. Kurohagane

Indeed. Not to mention the movement speed is a joke and you could as well have people stand still while shooting, and it takes less time to kill someone than to say "Time to kill". Coming from a tf2 competitive scene i really wish the game was more skill oriented, it has so much potential and is so unique, yet its a point-and-click game basically and the only reason the skill ceiling isn't level with skill floor is because of bullet travel time and general game awarness.
    • Up x 1
  6. Phyr

Removing flinch would only push ROF higher into the God-Mode tier of weapons.
  7. Tasogie

this isnt COD, if you are getting shot by THREE PEOPLE AT ONCE, you are going to die. insta kill run an gun is not part of PS2.
    This game is about rushing around bunny hopping spam shot kill players. there are other FPS games you might be happier with.

Sniper rifles are easy as hell to use
    Explosives are well balanced
    Cloak is really very good

Twitch lords? I gather you are including yourself there (if there were any such thing). I find the so called "elite gamers" generally exploit, or outright hack because they feel their KDR is all important.
    MAX units are anything but KDR farmers. They are VERY easy to kill.
    To be frank you sound like one of those cod/quake gamers, an while I cant display my genuine distaste for such game play, I can thankfully say PS2 is not part of that puerile insult to gaming mechanics.
    If you feel your elite skills are not appreciated here because those 3 "noobs" as you call them, can kill you, well, thats your issue to deal with.

edit
    Coming from oldschool tribes 1 an tribes 2, so called Skilled gaming is highly subjective. There has never been a FPS as fast or as difficult to master as T1-2 yet, PS2 is very skill reliant in its own way.
  8. AWACS

Maybe they should just release a flinch suit cert.

Called BALLS.
    Or at least something that makes sense.
  9. Eugenitor

...am I being trolled? Because it feels like I'm being trolled.

The sniper rifle is reliably beatable by an LMG with a scope, the cloak is less stealthy than an LA, explosive spam's effectiveness is why everyone hates rocketpodders, and a MAX unit being hard to kill is literally the whole reason they exist, but when you just casually toss around "cod/quake" as if they're the same thing...

CoD is easy long-range noobtubing, 15-foot one-shot knifing, and aim assist. Literally every CoD player gets a built-in aimbot to do 360noscopeheadshots with. Competitive tournament FPSes, like Quake and UT, have nothing at all to do with CoD, and most competitive Quake players HATE CoD for what it's done to FPS gaming in general.
    • Up x 1
  10. Arkha3

Why can't people adjust their playstyle to what they're currently playing? If every game was the same old puss pansy fair-to-play /it's all about me mentality/ with only slight inconvenience here and there, it be freaking boring.

A big explosion happened over your head. You shouldn't even be standing

But I will agree with the point that your shield should take an impact of a bullet with only a very minor flinch (and no pain sound)
  11. SgtBreastroker

^This
  12. orthus2

and that is why I play arma 2 :p

any way, flinch is good and bad, I personally feel there is no way to implement it perfectly. I feel flinch does promote non-ads firing over aimed since it usually has a great effect on ADS than it does on hipfire.

I don't have a solution to making flinch better besides making damage the man factor in how much you flinch from direct hits, and having explosions affect a different type of flinch that is also equally harmful to hipfire.
  13. Phyr

First, way to exaggerate to the extreme, second, just about every console shooter has aim assist.
  14. Sirisian

I'd be fine with making it proportional to damage. I guess I haven't noticed it really though. As long as you shoot first you pretty much win 90% of them time in this game. I do agree though that players with a high latency should be affected by it. It's fairly obvious that right now anyone that lags and ties with you is not affected by it at all since they never get the message. Not much you can do about that though since the game is designed to favor those players anyway.
  15. dough

Wow. Really? All you have is a sneer that I'm somehow non-l33t? I realize for you this seems like an insult.. but from my perspective, its says something a *tad* different.
  16. Tasogie

no your not being trolled, Sniping is not the idiots you see standing on a hilltop, spamming away like their infantry. Proper sniping is cloaking to your best spots, (I always snipe within bushes if I can), at most you do 3 shots then move,(at most). The idiots who stand there in open on skyline, spamming away like they have machine guns, are not scoping properly.Ive been sniping for 300 hours before I moved to TR, an without doubt the "good" snipers are VERY tough to find an kill.

Cloak is not meant to be immunity to sight, you still have to use your brain, but it can "reliably" as you call it get you into spots you may otherwise not make it.(I routinely sneak into middle of the crown camps an start blowing **** up as I am able, an it often doesn't get me killed for first few kills.)

Explosive spam as you call it, is a minority of quake types who think they can run round spamming rockets in every ones face.(I've even seen idiots try to rocket jump). But explosives themselves are just fine an doing exactly what they are meant to do.

MAX units die fast, I don't know who you have been talking too, but it is NOT hard to kill a max at all.it's just fools who run up to one an get in their face = death.
    To me, the Quake/COD crowd are bottom of the barrel, I don't rate them as good gamers, because of the typical hate spam race hatred in chat, an raging about the msot minute things. eg the worst players....
  17. AtomicGerman

18. FeelTehRUSH

it actually does have a balanced mechanic, and the higher the damage of the gun, the more the flinch because it can safely assume by all logic that faster rof=lower damage. the bounce i get when im hit with a gauss saw is almost impossible to recover from while i can easily recover off a pulsar, orion ect shot
  19. Xaturas

If that was true ... no doesn't matter if bullet does 1 dmg or 200 dmg, flinch is the same, thing is if target x sends 200 bullets doing 1 dmg and you send 1 bullet doing 200 dmg, your screen will be all over the place while he won't even feel it.
    That's what nc is *crying* about, this game is all about rof because of stupid flinch mechanic (stupid as no matter how much dmg bullet does its same amount of flinch, making it rof rule them all)
  20. Pruto

If you were even marginally competent at Tribes, then this game should be really really easy. Somehow the vibe I'm getting tells me you weren't
    • Up x 2