Does scout radar need a counter?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Get2dachoppa, Apr 20, 2013.

1. HeadshotVictim

Well, i guess playing like you know you have been seen on radar 24/7 would nullify pretty much, right?
    Just assume that people know where you are when you uncloak and be happy when they don't?
    I see so many infis just sitting around until they get shot. I don't play Infi much, but when I do I am constantly moving around. Getting from cover to cover, shooting at maximum 3 shot in a row and then disappear again...
  2. Dasparian

My first clue is usually when I get extra activity around my hidey hole, and LAs start flying around weird places. As it is, each time I hear/see a Flash, I automatically scope it to see if it's got a radar dish, then decide if I should really stick around the area, or just pop a suicide pill and start over somewhere else.

Personally, while I think having a counter to Scout Radar would be nice, it's not entirely necessary. The reason I say this is, even with detection immunity, what can our class do? The times that Infiltrators alone have made a major difference in this game are few and far between. I think it's best to wait for the class overhaul before asking for these goodies, because as it stands now, there's not much room to make use of them.
  3. Dr. Euthanasia

Cloak energy is a resource, and turning on the cloak itself comes with consequences. You can't shoot people while cloaked, and you can't break cloaking near enemy players or they'll hear the sound. What you propose is not a viable solution to vehicle radars.
    • Up x 1
  4. HeadshotVictim

everyone has the same problem with the radar.
    Infis have a way to counter it

Infis stll cry.
    Strange.
    • Up x 1
  5. Aimeryan

Two possibilities regarding your mindset: a) You are a troll, b) you simply can not understanding the meaning of a stealth class.
  6. Dr. Euthanasia

We're the ******* stealth class, and I'm telling you that having a temporary counter to something you don't know is happening to you is next to useless. If you can't understand why being unaware of enemy radar devices acting upon your character might cause significant problems when you're trying to sneak into a base with only 12 seconds of uninterrupted cloak, you are utterly beyond help.
    • Up x 4
  7. simon11russell

I don't think scout radar needs a hard counter maybe it just needs tweaking a bit. My suggestions would be to make it so its cant be equipped with vehicle stealth so that shows on the minimap like normal and to add pulsing rings like with the recon tool so that you cant just park up and leave your radar undefended as its giving itself away constantly and it will be located and destroyed, adding some other tactical objectives to the game other than sundies, gens and the cap point.
  8. HeadshotVictim

I play LA and I get messed up pretty often because of scout radar. What is the point?
    I don't even have the chance to get rid of the damn dot on the map.
    Look up in LA forum: no complaints about Radar.
    Since carbines aren't the strongest CQC weapons because everyone can use SMGs you need so much more awareness when how to engage whom.
    Why shouldn't this apply to other classes as well?
    Yes, cloak lasts 12 seconds. That way Infi have 12 seconds more than anyone else.

The "LA-can-hide-on-roofs" is not really useful, since enemy LA will spot you there easily. So scout radar is a pest for everyone. But strange but true: Everyone can live with this. BUT the only class with a counter to it. I destroy every Radar-Flash i can find, for a reason.

Yes, stealth is what infiltrators need, but I think they got more than enough of that. The cloak is a pretty good call atm against anyone with a decent graphics setting.
    When will this madness stop? When everything is removed that is able to give one side a tactical advantage?

Will PS2 be a grey box (to not hurt the eyes too much) without sound and any classes somewhen?
    Just deal with it for gods sake!
    It lasts for 5 minutes. When you find it either destroy it out a AI mine on top of it, so the next one trying to recharge the despawn timer will get blown away with his flash.

Besides this:
    anyone feels pretty safe knowing that a Radar Flash will back them up. How funny is it to be shot into the back by an Infi who got around my flashes? well no fun at all, since I am dead then. But since cloaks works against radar I think it is still possible to get people who think they are safe.

PS: I am a brain-dead ******** troll with no life what so ever. I just come here to annoy infiltrators because I want all of them to leave the game. I am not able to play PlanetSide2 bacause I am so fat that I can't reach my keyboard properly. Feel free to make yourself look stupid : P
  9. HamOnRye

Well I am in agreement that you are a Grade A Window Licker, based on you recent posts. However back to the original post.

Flash radar is powerful in many situations, and I use the thing extensive on offense and defense. While infiltrators do have the best tool for dealing with radar, it's not enough. A brief red spot on the minimap will tell me where I need to look, which in most cases is more then sufficient for finding and dispatching an infiltrator.

I usually run eithe HA or Medic with a shotgun or high RoF weapon. I can easily take on 3 to 4 people trying to capture a point if they don't know I have a flash radar in the area. A single infiltrator, even with a cloak is not going to be able to accomplish much, aside from getting killed.

If the infiltrator class is going to have a function in base infiltration, this radar mechanic is going to have to be corrected.
  10. Dr. Euthanasia

And you can choose to run low graphics even if you don't need to for performance reasons, just to have an advantage against us. This isn't even relevant to the thread, but don't come in here talking like nobody does this. This is something I'm forced to expect from every opponent I go up against, and one of the main reasons I despise our cloak and avoid using it as frequently as would be necessary to hide from scout radar.

"Just deal with the problems that shouldn't exist! We don't need to correct bad game design if we can just tolerate it instead!"

Why mention that it lasts 5 minutes and then immediately bring up the fact that people can reset it? You already know that nobody is ever going to let their maphack enabler despawn. Also, great idea about the AP mine. Too bad it costs three times as many resources as a Flash, huh?

Except it's impossible to take someone by surprise with scout radar active in the area even if you know it's present, because the loud de-cloak noise prevents you from getting too close to an enemy without warning them one way, and the radar prevents you from turning it off from a distance and warning them in another. If you lose to an Infiltrator with the radar active, you'd have lost to him even had you hunted him down in the first place.
    • Up x 1
  11. Liav

This a thousand fold.

To anyone that complains about people complaining about anything, please refer to this quote. I might even add it to my signature.

Apathy is not good for anything but breeding mediocrity.
  12. Vanus Aran

I wont read 10 sides of posts.
    Just saying in case someone didnt already: My thought is to balance this radar perfectly there could be two ways.

Version 1: Weak against immobility
    The radar can't pick up signals of Soldiers who are standing still.
    Like the radar from the famous Alien Movies series. The Marines who are often fighting the Xenomorphs got this neat hand-radar display, showing them whats up in front of them, 180° radius. I believe it was... 100 meters range or something.

The other version would be something similar. But its a device to counter it.

Version 2: "Scatterer-Device"
    It could become a new Suit-certification in itself so that you are only visible 'as usual'.
    Or maybe something you need to hold in your hands and you can only hold the pistole in your other hand while using it.

People forget this but there is actually a little counter.
    This grenade that makes gunfire-noises and places false signals on the minimap.
    ( is it even used by anyone? ^^ )

I wonder and ponder about its use in the game. Whats comming into my mind is that it could be used to try and bring havoc in a camper-staredown in biolabs. But then again -> in such fights you look in front of you and not really on the minimap. The spots to approach from are just too few.
    Even Lightassaults are not safe. People know they are on the roofs and can shoot them quickly. In Biolabs Lightassaults face each other anyway. Biolabs are too predictable. There are not enough floors.
    • Up x 1
  13. Dr. Euthanasia

I go by what I said earlier. Crouch-walking and stationary targets shouldn't show up on radar, and all people being detected by radar should be made aware of this fact. They don't need to know where the source is, simply that someone, somewhere, has a scout radar picking them up. This gives players counter-play to radar detection and the opportunity to use it, at a cost to mobility which could very easily get them killed if used carelessly.
    • Up x 1
  14. Vaphell

i have it and used it few times, some say it is bugged and doesn't place fake signature on the minimap.
  15. Aimeryan

How big is the fake signature radius? If it is say 50m then it could be viable, although you would still need to know when you are being detected in order to know to use it.

If the radius is small then I don't see it working. If you throw it away from you then you now have an area of signatures popping up at random with a lot of noise, and a lone dot somewhere else - which one will they think is you? If you throw it so that it covers the area you are in then it will still attract them to your area. The latter works well if the radius is big so that the area you could be in is big, but would be not so useful if it is small enough to pretty much pinpoint where you are.

Would also probably need more decoy grenades to make it useful; especially if the radius is small.
  16. Vaphell

no idea what it looks like on the other end but this clip from feb claims there is no signature ever. It simply emits loud empire specific pewpewpew - in big busy battles next to useless, in small skirmishes it can confuse enemies and lure them to check to source of the sound.

Either way i think non-lethal grenades should be more plentiful than frags. 1 decoy doesn't sound too impressive.
  17. OldMaster80

Bugged, they do not casue any red blip on the minimap. To make them viable they should create the red dot and maybe cost a little less because there's no reason why such a situational weapon should cost as many resources as a deadly grenade.
    Or as alternative they should create a fake holographic image of the Infiltrator.
  18. Tormentos

I'm not so much into ESFs, so I overlooked that, my bad.
    The thing isn't about the destructability of the vehicle, it's about the size of it and the size of the dish on top of it. And in that, my question remains. Why do the smallest vehicles with the smallest dishes get the strongest radars? A Sunderer or Galaxy should have the 100m ground radar or 200m air radar because of their massive size and thus of their capability of carrying such a strong system. You can't tell me that the antenna of an ATV has twice the range of a full radar dish of a Sunderer that has four times the size of it. And the Galaxy and Liberator can't have a radar at all (or I oversaw it, but I don't think so), which is a pity.
    And about destructability: I prefer Infiltrator, thus with a weapon terminal I can become anything to destroy that pesky vehicle, may it be with rockets or C4. Afterwards maybe I'll have to run for it, but as soon as I'm an Inf again, I can sneak away.

In short: I don't mind these 100m/200m radar dishes as long as they are mounted on something bigger that really deserves such a range. A three meter big Sunderer radar dish getting 50m range and a little white saucer on the Flash of maybe 20 cm size gets 100m? I mean... Seriously? Doesn't nobody else sees the shere amount of absurdity here? It should be the other way around and you all know that!
  19. HeadshotVictim

well, the dish was a lot bigger, but they added rumble seats to the flashes so it was rescaled.
    It doesn't make much sense actually that it is that small.
    But I am glad that the huge radars are not mounted on armored vehicles. It is so easy to destroy a flash, but so hard to kill a 2 man MBT. (And with Magriders parked on roofst from time to time (happens on Amerish more often that in other areas) I am really glad that they only have a small radar)

Perhaps you can argue that the flashes have less metal blocking the signal of the Radar, but it is no sufficient explanation at all.
    I think it is a balance thing.
    When you have MBT with 100m Radar these things are nearly impossible to take out. But a Flash is easy enough to kill.
    Airplanes get a 200m Radar but a Plane with a smaller radar radius is just useless since it has to hover so low above ground that it is nearly useless.
  20. RoMoronik666

I agree.