Does scout radar need a counter?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Get2dachoppa, Apr 20, 2013.

1. zaspacer

No Class wants to be a Milton.

2. Helwyr

Yup Radar is essentially on the same level as Aimbots, the only difference is the aspect of player ability/skill it replaces.
  3. Fenrys

Step 1: Reduce Flash Scout Radar range to 50m because 25 resources is too cheap for 100m shared radar

Step 2: Give Harasser a Scout Radar Module with 100m range because 200 resources is reasonable for such a powerful ability

Step 3: Harassers can only equip scout radar in the place of a rumble seat. Radar equipped Harassers can only carry a driver + gunner.

Step 4: Make the Scout Radar Module destructible independently from the Harasser - it would be an "NPC" riding on back, with its own private health total. Give it hitpoints about equal to a Flash, so abandoned or hidden radars can be destroyed quickly (like it is now on the relatively fragile Flash)

Step 5: Call Scout Radar "Active" and say Active Radar equipped vehicles can't use Stealth in the defense slot.

Step 6: Change all Proximity Radars into Active Scout Radars.

Step 7: Add new Passive Proximity Radars to vehicles that might want both radar and stealth at the same time.
  4. Helwyr

Putting scout radar on a Harasser rather than the Flash would be even worse for Infiltrators than the existing situation. Not one of your 7 steps addresses the Radar problem.

A real solution:

Step 1 : Vehicle based radar needs to be limited to detecting Vehicles, not Infantry.

Step 2: Infantry needs a stealth armor option (like vehicles) to keep them off Infantry based radar (dart and any future radar type tool).
  5. bNy_

All they would have to do really would be to give more XP for flash kills... It takes roughly 60 shots from the average LA/Eng weapon to kill one so most noobs just run past it because "it's not worth killing".

I use flash radar and just park it inside tech labs without even care to hide it most of the time and usually I have to run back to it several times so the spawn timer doesn't make it despawn.
  6. Zinus

Stealth implant could be a solution.
    Cannot be detected by scout radars (however can still be detected by inf dart and spotting)

Tradeoff would be that people sacrifice another implant that might give them greater advantage in combat rather than stealth (side-effect is darts become generally more useful because they detect stealth implanted people that move).

But anyway, as it is the scout radar is way to powerful. I really have no idea how i played without it. When i have it i don't waste my time shooting darts, as the scout radar is practically not counter-able (even infs have to uncloak and show on the map)
  7. Helwyr

We don't even know how Implants will work in PS2, during beta you got a short term boost for Station Cash. Under those circumstances Implants are definitely not the solution.

There really should be a stealth option for Infantry in their armor mods (same slot as ammo belt and nanoweave etc). Vehicles essentially get this option and they get it very cheaply.
  8. Zinus

I agree, but the solution for cqc inf was inclusion of SMG which cost 1k certs... so i don't hope for any solution that doesn't include certs :/

edit: also trading armor mod for stealth would be.... ugh... well i guess still better than nothing
  9. sosolidshoe

Well, we want more tools and ways to be useful, right? How about Infiltrator gets a deployable Radar Jammer. Goes in the same slot as Mines, so there's some tradeoff. Prevents radar detection within it's SoI, starting out at say 25m, with the ability to upgrade the bubble in size in the same steps as the Scout Radar, and up to the same maximum. Or if SOE think that's too OP, give it two bubbles, so it prevents detection within the smaller diameter, and slows it down in the larger one(say, you only show up every 1 in 3 pulses).

Make it very visible, so you have to go to the same effort to hide it as you would a Scout Radar Flash, but not make any noise, so it takes the same effort to hunt down and destroy.
    • Up x 1
  10. Oathblivion

My suggestion is two pronged, and both involve buffing the Infiltrator.

1) Give infiltrators passive immunity to the radar. Sneaky class is sneaky.
    2) Give infiltrators the ability to hack vehicles. Either disabling them until repaired, or more awesomely, taking control of them.

This means that no direct nerfs have to hit the radar, but it is indirectly nerfed by missing an entire class. Furthermore, if Infiltrators are allowed to take control of vehicles, it means that the enemy's advantage could be turned against them unless there's a group there to protect the radar vehicle.

Honestly, ESF scout radar doesn't seem like much of a problem to me. They're typically moving too fast to reveal you for too long, and if they're hovering, well, why haven't you pulled some lock-on missiles or burster maxes to show them the error of their ways?
  11. Dr. Euthanasia

This doesn't solve the problem of Infiltrators not knowing that they're being picked up by enemy radar devices. Assuming we don't get something else to inform us about that, I'd suggest that this tool passively make us (and only us) invisible to radar while we're still carrying it around.
    • Up x 1
  12. Helwyr

It may not be the best solution, but I repeat it because stealth as an armor mod already has been accepted by SOE as something they clearly see as balanced as a precedent has already been set by Vehicles having the option in the live game since the beginning.

....Certainly better than nothing, and most likely better than leaving it to implants as well.
  13. Nepau

Since Radar isnt a Pure 3D view of the person I disagree. I do think some types of counters would be good to add though, Perhaps a Jammer Grenade that blocks the Radar around a certain radius, or even a counter radar utility for some vehicles.

I think Inf should get a Suit slot Item that reduces the effectivness of the Radar, as an example:

Radar Scrambler 1-5 ranks

Radar scrambler causes the return ping of a scout radar to place the Infiltrator randomly in a radius of 5-20m from the Infiltrator. This Pings relation to the Infiltrator will Maintain until they ether leave the Radars Range or another Radar pings them.

Idea would be to give them some smug room with the radar, while not preventing people from using it to clear out a captured base. The Relation of the "Fake Location" to the infiltrator would remain the same so long as they stay within the radius of the radar to allow people to Hunt them down, instead of having a Dot just jump around everywhere every Ping. By leaving the radius of the Radar this would reset the Inital Random location to help them try to avoid detection.
  14. Helwyr

That sounds pretty much useless, you might as well not add a counter to radar if it's going to be that weak. Do you think this anemic counter should be how Vehicle stealth works as well?
  15. kanosih

Bunch of cry **** babies, why am I not allowed to use a radar, but an infiltrator can run around with a **** SMG, breaking the class itself, ...the radar is the only thing stopping those infiltrators from being the most overpowered class EVER.
    Let that sink in for a moment, you want the radar nerfed, just so you can be more of a game-breaking infiltrater.
    GET OVER IT.
  16. Skeith

apparently you dont have a pair of functional eyes,if you cant see a cloaked infiltrator

if you get caught by an infiltrator continuosly you must be utterly terrible at this game
    • Up x 1
  17. kanosih

''if you cant see a cloaked infiltrator'' ....Nice choice of word's.
    I lolled, this made the rest your entire statement redundant.

EDIT: Also, you might want to check your grammar: i fixed it for you.

Apparently you don't have a pair of functional eyes, if you can't see a cloaked infiltrator, If you get caught by an infiltrator continuously you must be utterly terrible at this game.

So you might want to check that, I might be terrible at spotting things that are invisible ( bwuahahhaa x'D) but my grammar and spelling work fine...me thinks
  18. Skeith

and i care because.......?

you got the point anyway,if you have to climb to grammar lessons,when we are talking in a videogame forum,you have to be truly sad son.

also infiltrators arent invisible when cloaked,learn your facts right before you post trash on the forums.
  19. Dr. Euthanasia

This is some profound ignorance here. Do you use night vision scopes a lot or fight SMG Infiltrators at ranges greater than 60m, Kanosih? Those happen to be the only two circumstances where Hunter Stealth actually stops our class from rendering. Anywhere else, and it's your poor eyesight which is to blame if you miss an Infiltrator cloaked within your field of view. Well, that and your sound system, because a pair of cheap headphones would give you more than enough warning even if you were completely blind.
    • Up x 1
  20. m44v

Scout radar is a maphack, has no drawbacks and no counters. I don't care that is built-in into the game, people defending it might as well go and defend cheaters.