Does scout radar need a counter?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Get2dachoppa, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Braddigan

I just wish there were a way to defend against scout radar - I mean, I suppose in theory the safest, fairest method would be just to sit inside a building until the pilot either a) gets bored and wanders off or b) lands and comes into the building to fight you on foot. Still, that's kinda dull all things considered, and either way you have been noticed. Which means that your cover is blown and infiltration is over - now you're going to have to beat people in a stand up fight, something that the infiltrator class is not designed to do.

- Braddigan
  2. ShadowCell

Um....well lets see: Not only does the damn thing never seem to work the way it needs to, it's a big yellow dot that makes a very loud very distinct sound....How in the world are you honestly having a hard time noticing it?

If ANYTHING it needs to be buffed (Read: FIXED). Earlier today I shot EASILY 40 of these bloody things. Out of 40, while right on top of enemy players mind you, half didn't even work (meaning it didn't stick/ produce a radar bit on the map) and nearly 15 didn't pick up an enemy(s) that were right next to the damn thing. That means that out of the 40 I've used, and this is typical mind you, only 5 actually picked up something....and you people think it needs to be scaled "way back" as if it's impossibly OP. *Sigh*

Either everyone complaining is NOT a big infiltrator player or they're simply full of it. Most if not ALL players dedicated to the infiltrator class will tell you the radar gun is seriously broken right now....
  3. RoMoronik666

Think you're getting confused between Scout Radar (on vehicles) and the Recon Device (used by infiltrators).
    • Up x 1
  4. bulletchaser666

i think this could easly be countered when implants come into play, just have a steaalth implant that renders you un-dectable from radar, this would also affect recon darts (because i spam those things all the time and it works well) easy fix don't call op cause it's the solution your looking for,
  5. Helwyr

Um no.

Last we've heard from Higby Implants are temporary and cost Station Cash/Certs.

So how can post that the answer to Radar is something that will cost a player an ongoing amount money or certs to be able to use?

Look it's very simple, Infantry (all of them not just Infiltrators) should at least have access to the same radar protection Vehicles already have. Implants are not the solution.
    • Up x 1
  6. ShadowCell

Was this thread not referring to the scout device? If not....then I totally apologize and ask everyone to disregard my pointless comment.

If its referring to the scout device infiltrators have however......my point still stands.
  7. Braddigan

No, man, we're talking about the scout radar. It's the radar device that you can put on flashes and ESF - that anyone can put on flashes and ESFs. Which functions better than the radar dart a lot of the time. It actually has slightly less range than a fully certed radar dart - by 5m - but it picks up stationary targets.

- Braddigan
  8. Ronin Oni

LA and infils should have Armor Suit options (cheap... 30-50 certs) for "Stealth" which basically only counters beind auto-spotted by any radar devices (manual spotting and firing unsilenced would still spot you however for a shorter duration maybe?)

Stealth is already an option on some vehicles to counter radar. Those that it's not? Well, perhaps maybe for a reason.
  9. Ronin Oni

LA and infils should have Armor Suit options (cheap... 30-50 certs) for "Stealth" which basically only counters beind auto-spotted by any radar devices (manual spotting and firing unsilenced would still spot you however for a shorter duration maybe?)

Stealth is already an option on some vehicles to counter radar. Those that it's not? Well, perhaps maybe for a reason.
  10. ShadowCell

Wow my bad, sorry guys lol.
  11. bulletchaser666

well i was not aware that implants would be a P2P only thing, please disregard my post.
  12. Godsmangamer

Just a observation in the Infiltrator road map the latest post as of this time is about a Jammer idea that fits with giving the infiltrator a counter to Scout Radar. You should all check out that post add suggestions and vote it up.
  13. Helwyr

Yeah devil is always in the details. I suppose SOE could change on how they plan to implement Implants, but I wouldn't hold my breath (especially if your an Infiltrator as you'll be unconscious in a matter of seconds)
    • Up x 1
  14. RoMoronik666

I believe all infiltrators should be immune to Scout Radar.

If people want to detect infiltrators as well, it should be available only at Scout Radar 5
  15. Arkos

Maybe not totally immune to every rank except 5...how about percentage chance to remain undetected that decreases for every aditional rank? Say, 100% chance to remain undetected at rank 1 Scout Radar, 90% at rank 2, and so on until Rank 5 which lets you detect infiltrators with no chance of failure.
  16. Braddigan

The problem with all of these rank based radars is power creep, the same problem that's currently affecting us with nanoweave. Nanoweave rank 5 prevents headshots and is very expensive, this is fine on paper...but sooner or later, everyone will use it when they get the certs for it. So all that solution would do is find a temporary fix.

I still think that the best thing to do is have it not detect targets that aren't moving. This way, infiltrators could use their class ability to remain off the radar, but this would be difficult for them to maintain if there were any troops on the ground. A fair trade, in my opinion.

- Braddigan
    • Up x 1
  17. CuteBeaver

I have the scout radar fully certed. I think most people do. It needs a nerf, or it needs a counter. My favorite option is leaving it the same in terms of functionality, but reduce its distance to 50 meters instead of 100. This still means players have the ability to park one near a capture point w/o ruining all enemy advances elsewhere. It will still help "you" just not everyone 100 bloody meters away.

Failing that, yes it needs a counter. Hopefully the new update will bring the infiltrator some goodies that other classes don't have access to already. And maybe like another poster said implants will be able to counter radar. I think the worse case scenario is they don't fix the scout radar, and heavy handedly nerf all sources of radar and give people a chance to evade the RDDarts too. Rendering the infiltrators staple ability useless or unreliable.
  18. Braddigan

A blanket nerf of all radar would be pointless, since the different types of radar actually function differently just now. I swear, the amount of nerfing going on around here - people need to focus more on balancing than nerfing. As stated before, if they made it more like the proximity radar it would still be useful, but it wouldn't catch stationary targets. The infiltrator already has the means to work with this, but can be taken on by ground units while doing so to counter that method.

I swear by GU20 the entire game is going to be one flat plane, all the classes will have the same loadout, no vehicles, no special abilities, one gun that takes 20 shots to kill someone - no headshots. That's a world of nerfs, let's go with the balance route instead and work out a counter that can be countered.

- Braddigan
  19. Vaphell

how can you possibly balance a permanent maphack 200m in diameter (400m on ESFs) without hardcore nerfs? not detecting stationary targets is a pretty much meaningless tweak, given that
    - to get any **** done you need to actually move a lot
    - you don't know you are being detected in the first place

i've heard we are almost there and that the class is called MAX.
  20. TrainerS2

YES is time to give infranty some anty-radar tool!!!!
    Lolpods with 200m radar farm everything and you cant escape .
    Infranty or just engienier shood have some stacion anty radar with 20 m degre infranty didint show on Lolpods farmers radfar ??