Does scout radar need a counter?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Get2dachoppa, Apr 20, 2013.

1. SDD

If they don't feel like nerfing it, at the very least there needs to be an indicator that you're being detected by one. In Planetside 1, there would be a little radar dish displayed in the corner of the screen if you were being picked up by a Mosquito or Motion Sensor Alarms.
    • Up x 1
  2. Tar

radar is a thing of the past. With the Striker abound, everyone needs to have flares/smoke.

However, to be constructive, to balance the radar nobody needs to strain their eads, all you need to do is look at, yes you guessed it, Planetside 1.
    Radar should only display vehicles and infantry _in_motion_. And there should be a reasonable silent step/sensor shield option. Also what guy above me says - indicator of "you've been sensed". That is all.
    Then there are other things that c ould be taken from PS1, such as constructable sensors and anti-sensors, but that would be hoping for too much.

It's really funny how the devs can't stand the idea of a PS1 style interlink benefit (i.e. radar for base defenders), yet they create the same thing, only worse, as a vehicle option. This means it's actually the attackers who can get the radar advantage, not the defenders (in a biolab for example), which makes no sense.
    • Up x 1
  3. kanosih

Hey don't get angry at me because you made a mistake, that's not on is it.
    I merely corrected the mistake you made like a good person should do, no need to look for fights where there is none ''son''.
    Also I'm not asking you to care, but you should though because it's your problem not mine.

You're getting all angry and abusive over someone's opinion, what are you... twelve?
    Let that sink in for a moment.

''if you have to climb to grammar lessons,when we are talking in a videogame forum,you have to be truly sad son.''

how is it sad to have a well rounded education :') ??
    It wasn't just your grammar your spelling is atrocious, i was merely helping you a hand and just to clarify, you are the one who called me blind and terrible. So you can lash out but you can't take a hit? You're pathetic.

''you got the point anyway''
    No.
  4. kanosih

Makes very good sense IMHO, there are a lot of features of PS1 id like to see in PS2 (gun-cam for the liberator for instance)
  5. Skeith

education?are you pretending from me or from every single one on the forum to treat you nicely when you introduce yourself like this?

you flame,on our forums,when you dont even know how our class main ability works in the first place,and 5 minutes after you start acting like a polite person and immediately changing on the subject because you suddenly realized that you where dead wrong.

introduce yourself like a nice person the next time instead of a complete ******* and you might get a polite answer.
  6. Wayfar

Though that to me doesn't help much honestly.

And you guys fighting, let it go... Shake and make up. This is the infiltrator section which has so far been fairly classy, and respectful with responses compared to other sections of this forum. I read here to hide out from most of the bickering. So lets keep it that way. :)
    • Up x 1
  7. Helwyr

A lot of people just don't seem to get this. It's as though they are oblivious to the large part of gameplay that is directly impacted, removed, or replaced by radar. But who knows maybe we will get aimbot weapons soon as well... or perhaps when Smedly talked about NPCs in PS2 he really meant the the player characters.. they just play the game themselves, player skill and ability not required.
  8. Being@RT

The only reasonable change to Flash scout radar, imo, is to reduce its range (50%) when vehicle stealth is also equipped (or disallow the combo altogether).

Proximity detecting the vehicle should be enough of a counter if the Flash foregoes the combo and reduced range makes sure it's not too easily hidden while still being close to the combat zone.

In my experience using (and upgrading) a scout flash, it started becoming usable at 50m, was ok at 75m and excellent at 100m (stealth in all scenarios).

I also think a scout radar can be the single most important piece of equipment to bring along to many combats (After a spawn solution of course): practically cost free, minimal cooldown after some certing, detection range that easily covers most infantry range combats when correctly positioned, helps everyone on your faction.
    Which is why some toning down of its power would be fine.

I have to admit I haven't played in recent weeks, but when I last played, the only reason for scout flashes not having been nerfed was, imo, that the playerbase at large are too stupid to realise how powerful it is as a force multiplier. It's not even a 1000 cert upgrade for the final level, right?

edit: oh also, I don't really play infiltrator much, usually as a medic. I've started trying to pick up infiltrator (with scout rifle, I'm rubbish at sniping) and intend to max out the dart gun pretty quickly.. information about enemy location is very powerful.
    • Up x 1
  9. m44v

Not enough, since a flash can be put in places impossible to reach like behind the shields of amp stations or biolabs, and smart players will defend it or spawn a new one after it was destroyed.
  10. zaspacer

Yup. Attackers can get the radar advantage at many bases.

Defenders either can't safely spawn vehicles, don't have a place to store them safely, or the vehicle terminals are on the edge of the base and hard to get to safely. In contrast, Attackers typically can bring multiple flashes (especially since they are the ones timing the battle) or spawn them at many of the defending bases, and dump flashes fairly safely in lots of different areas.
  11. Stinneyt

How about as a counter, the infiltrator gets an Anti-Radar gun. Looks and works like the recon dart, but when fired, it creates lots of false radar blips on the map. Each level increases the number of blips and the duration of the dart.
  12. LibertyRevolution

I would imagine there will be an implant to hide you from scout radar once the implants are rolled out.
    • Up x 1
  13. Fenrys

There's already a decoy grenade.

Was there a problem with the Planetside 1 deployable sensor jammer? Give it to engies and infils as an explosives slot option.
  14. Helwyr

How about Infantry get a Stealth option to passively counter radar just like vehicles do?
  15. HeadshotVictim

how about: avoid enemy flashes?
  16. Liav

I didn't realize you could hide from vehicles parked around corners with vehicle stealth 100m away.

You're such a bro.
  17. Blitzkrieg

But, does the counter need a counter?
    • Up x 1
  18. Tormentos

I don't know if it was mentioned before...
    But isn't it odd that the smallest vehicle with the smallest radar dish has the BIGGEST radar range? If a Galaxy is transformed into an AWACS with 100m radar Range I wouldn't say a thing or with the Sunderer. These things are huge and easy to find. But the Flash? That little dish for its size alone is overpowered, it should be the other way around and bigger dishes have bigger range.
  19. HeadshotVictim

The biggest radar is found on ESF with 200m. So stop it at this point, okay?
    The flash is pretty easy to shoot down, the driver sits in the open.
    I think a tank with a 100m Radar would be an annoyance you wouldn't like to see I think.
    An infiltrator CAN shoot down a radar flash. But think about on of them nice MBT with a 100m radar! You infis cant even scratch it's paint with oyu puny lil smgs.
    But giving the weakest ground vehicle the strongest ground radar is op... I can see your thoughts.
    An ESF gets a 200!!!! m radar. Parked in the right place an AmpStation is lit up like a christmas tree.
    But complain about flashes...please.

I dont quite get why infiltrators complain about radar. Just hit "F" and vanish from radar, turn up somewhere else shoot someone down, disappear again.
    I see enough infiltrators sitting at one spt for 10 minutes straight, trying to shoot infantry running by, and complaining afterwards that radar is overpowered since they got shot down, by someone passing by, KNOWING for 5 minutes that someone sits there with a Sniper Rifle... (shouting over and over again: Enemy Heavy inthe area! Watch your six, infiltrator in the area! Enemy Medic spotted!")
    • Up x 1
  20. Dr. Euthanasia

How are we supposed to know when radar is detecting us?