Emerald Raid Zone

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-R2Chief2, Nov 15, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Scortch Guest

Yea, clearing 100 trash mobs so you can kill one named and get 1 item is a lot of reward for the risk huh? roflmao
  2. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Its a lot better fun than getting 17 relic drops plus 8 named drops in one visit to Labs.
  3. ARCHIVED-mikemcmodmike Guest

I think the answer is simple. Maybe take out some trash mobs. I mean I haven't been in there yet but if it's anything like the yawnfest that PPR was then something definitely needs to be changed. Its one thing to have the excitement of going in your first couple of times, but once you've done the zone 10 times killing countless amounts of trash mobs is just boring. End of story.
    On the other hand if you're complaining about going in and getting no chests - STOP GOING IN! You need to gear up more to take down the nameds or tweak your raidforce. The trash can be a deterrent but if you can't even take down the easy nameds, but this zone on hold until you've geared up more. It's not meant to be tackled so early anyways and only the guilds that have been geared up totally in KoS stuff should be able to tackle these mobs and down them.
  4. ARCHIVED-Scortch Guest

I never said I wanted it to go that far either. A balance would be nice. A chest off named like Djinn Master or something. That would make it worth our time instead of 1 item in a chest from a named after clearing hundreds of trash. 1 item for 24 people spending hours on end clearing trash is hardly worth those 24 people's time, effort and cost. If I know, spending my time clearing all that crap, will in the end pay off after killing the named, on top of dealing with the challenge of the named, it would go a LONG way in making the zone more desirable and worth my playtime. At least I know I have something to look forward to other than what I have seen so far. Poorly itemized.
    We can take down the named, other than the ones that are bugged.
    It's as much, if not worst of a yawn fest that PPR was.
    Message Edited by Scortch on 11-23-2006 04:14 PM
  5. ARCHIVED-Myrah Guest

maybe some people just have to ask themselves this question.... why do you raid? Is it for the lore, figuring out different strategies, or is it simply for loot. Many people have different opinions on what makes a good raid zone, some people like drawn out fights, some people like instant gratification, and some people are not happy unless they physically get something to show for. Is that just so you can show your "manlihood" nanny nanny, look what I have and you don't. So what, not everyone raids for the loot. With that in mind, I would think it's a bit selfish to assumethat zones should be just the way you like it, and you can't even begin to quote percentages on 95% of the ppl want this, 5% dont, not everyone voices their opinion.
    so just ask yourself why you raid :smileyvery-happy:
    Happy Thanksgiving

Message Edited by Myrah on 11-23-2006 03:27 PM
  6. ARCHIVED-Scortch Guest

I have to say BS on that one.
    If there were no loot in raid zones, they would never have anyone in them. EVERYONE raids for the loot. That's the whole purpose of raiding. What's the point in wasting your time going in to kill stuff if you don't get anything out of it? Would you go to work knowing you were not going to get paid for it? NO Same here. People are not going to put effort, time and cost into a raid knowing they would not get anything out of it. Silliest thing I ever heard.
    Message Edited by Scortch on 11-23-2006 04:33 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-Pinski Guest

Loot is the little extra that keeps me raiding. The main reason why I raid is because I enjoy raiding and find having to figure out the strategies to defeat mobs are fun and interesting to me.
  8. ARCHIVED-Myrah Guest

sorry you personally feel that way scor, and I don't think you can compare raiding to real life. People do volunteer just for the satisfaction of it.
    There have been many raids where I haven't gotten any loot, and I still play. Just remember not EVERYONE (as you put it) agrees with your opinion, nor mine for that fact.
    Happy Thanksgiving (time for pie)
    Message Edited by Myrah on 11-23-2006 04:39 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-mikemcmodmike Guest

The people who raid for loot are the people who join raiding guilds and stay in them for 4 months until they're geared up and quit. I don't think there's one serious raider who only plays for loot. Do you realize you need to go into raid zones week after week after clearing all the mobs for the 100th time. Once your geared up those people quit.
    The serious raiders, people who've been doing it for 2 years now are the people who enjoy getting together as a group. At first it's fun to figure out mobs, later it's fun to get gear, and then it's just fun to get together. If you don't enjoy raiding for the sake of just raiding you'll never last in a raiding guild.
    I can guarantee you this guy hasn't been raiding since T5. He probably played WoW, switched, played another MMO, switched, played another MMO, switched, and is playing eq2 now. All the while he's been in raiding guilds and has never known what being a raider is or why he gets bored after a certain amount of time.
  10. ARCHIVED-Nevarer Guest

I raid for the loot. I enjoy getting master chests and seeing people get items and enjoy getting them myselves. I dont care for the lore or anything. Ive been in Disso since it formed so I guess your wrong.
  11. ARCHIVED-FlintAH Guest

I think you are an exception then Itook. About 95% of the raiders who are in it for loot dont manage to make it long. The ones who make it the long run are those who do it to be part of a team.
  12. ARCHIVED-Hazeroth Guest

Does anyone remember the classics? You know the old Atari games. Pac-man, Space Invaders (bare with me, I'm not off topic)
    In those games the only reward for completing a level was to do the same thing over again, only this time faster. Each level getting progressively harder and the only way to gauge how good you were was by your score. You know, remember, back when ever game had scores?
    I see the devout raider as very similar to the gaming mentality of old. They want to do a raid faster and better. They want to eliminate all free radicals and leave nothing to chance. They want to say "if the mob has the ability "x" and there are probabilities attributed to that ability" they want to quantify it, segregate it, and lower the probability of an occurrence from happening. All the while everyone getting into a groove and figuring out what they need to do to get that 1 more DPS out of an encounter. Yes, I mean 1 DPS, if you are not working to find that 1 DPS then you should not raid. You don't know what it's like to find perfection in yourself.
    This goes for all classes, this search for perfection. Healers need to know how much damage the Target does, how much damage will be absorbed by wards and pick the heal that uses the least amount of power for the most amount of healing.
    Everything counts, ever second lost adds up over the course of a 4 minute fight.
    This is why Emerald's yard trash is so important. The purpose of the trash isn't to bore you. It's to challenge you to become a fine tuned machine and kill them all in the shortest time possible.
    Sure it may take you 6 hours to clear the zone now. But once you have maxed your AA's, have full adornments. Everyone knows exactly what they need to do and where to go next. All this is rewarded by a shorter trip through the zone. 3 months from now it may take 3 hours. When the next level cap rise occurs the zone may take 2 hours or less.
    I would be lying if I said I didn't do it for loot. But in a true raiders mind Loot is not the end all and be all. It's a means to an end that will help you get that 1 more DPS. That one item that will make that 2 minute encounter now 1 minute and 59 seconds.
    Items are, quite simply the "Score" of EQ2. The speed in which your raid completes a zone is the reward. Because no one wants to be bored. They want to get it over quickly and if the developers gave that up right off the bat, that would amount to them giving you a high score without the skills or the effort required to achieve that score.
  13. ARCHIVED-mikemcmodmike Guest

Well one thing, this game has barely been out long enough to know who's out for the long haul. I guess 3 years or so since release which means 2 years 6 months of raiding is enough though.
    I still think from the sounds of it there's too much trash mobs. There's tweaking your dps to max it out on trash mobs, then there's having so much trash people get tired and bored in a zone like PPR. This sounds like PPR2. It's just not realistic to raid zones for 6 hours every week for most people. Been there, done that, don't have the time anymore.
    I'll reserve judgement until I've done the zone but it sounds like the amount of trash involved is just way too much. Even if you're parsing 20k raid dps + if it's taking 5+ hours there's too much trash.
  14. ARCHIVED-Pinski Guest

There's not that much trash. The reason why it's taking 5+ hours now is because people are still trying to figure out the actual named mobs. Not the trash.
  15. ARCHIVED-Scortch Guest

I still say it's BS that people don't raid or do group instances for loot. You can claim that it doesn't happen just to disagree with me but it's wrong.
    I am talking about raids as a whole. Sure, you like to raid because it's fun. So do I but, I guarantee you that if there was no loot at all, there would be no raids period. There wouldn't be any raiding guilds at all. There would be no one playing the game. Look at how many people left after the disaster called DoF where nothing was itemized in the end game raid zones and they were bugged beyond belief. There has been a TON of people that left this game because of this stuff.
    You might have a FEW people, like maybe 20, that would try and do raid zones for the pure fun of it but, when there is no return for anyone's investment of time, effort and money spent, then what purpose is there to waste all that for nothing? Only an idiot would waste their time for nothing. Volunteering in RL is totally different. You do something for someone else.
    Volunteer work in RL corresponds more to this game in that you go in with your guild to raid a zone and contribute your part to help someone else get something so that they in turn help you get something. The goal is still the same, to get something for someone or yourself. If there was nothing to get to start with, then no one would go in.
    You honestly think there would be so many people raiding or playing the game for no returns? Then you are full of it.
    Message Edited by Scortch on 11-24-2006 06:50 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-FlintAH Guest

No one said that people would raid w/o loot. People who only raid for loot dont raid for long though.
  17. ARCHIVED-anotherrogue Guest

To start this I will admit that I am a raider wannabe... so I am in no way an expert (now that half the people started reading just rolled their eyes and moved on...) After reading all of messages on this thread. I have to wonder... if you need 100 aas, EoF raid gear to do this zone... why do you need more uber loot? Is this not supposed to be one of the hardest raiding zone in the game? So after you have beaten this... why do you need something better? It is just going to sit on your person for the next time you go through the hardest zone in the game...

Your fabled/relic gear should already be had at this point... this isn't a 'gear em up' zone.

This is braggin' rights. Plain and simple. This is the "bring your A game" raid zone...

Now some people don't like it. Some people do. This is a fact of life, though... you cannot please everyone all of the time. Besides the bug the developer already stated that he knew (and fixed). Judging by the developer's post, I don't think SoE wants it to change. I think this zone wasn't meant to be for loot raiders, I think this is for tactical and bloodlust raiders.

People are different... that is what makes the world a little crazy... so some people raid for loot, some for bragging rights, but all for the fun of it (cause if your not having fun then it is becoming a job, and no one needs another one of those...) So maybe people should stop with the generalities of "this is what a hardcore raider is" or "no one raids purely for loot"- people raid... that is why there are so many raid zones.

I don't know if people should start yelling "broke" yet. Yeah it maybe a little tedious, but you cannot already have your entire raid force with the full gear and aas... as was intended by developers, so the fights take a bit longer... and the difference in named mobs is sort of fun... "surprise" this mob is in your raid instance today... Sort of gives you another reason to go back (since there is no loot). It should keep some raiders busy, but unfortunately it may make other raiders bored. Again, nobody can please everyone at the exact same time.

Being a hedonist I have to say, if your not having fun... then don't raid that particular zone. Some zones are not for everyone, I don't like certain zones, doesn't mean I am going to quit playing all together. This cannot be the only high end raid zone in all of EoF... it just happens to be the toughest.

I expect that some people may feel I am an idiot, or that I wouldn't understand "high end raiding"... and I am okay with that. I just think that maybe instead of generalizing how everyone raids or what everyone wants... we could look at all sides, or wait and see what SoE has in mind... (like instead of saying "broke" ask if this is the way they intended it... that these names drop no loot... with specifics...)

Perhaps I am being too much of a hippy in hoping that the issue can be discussed without stereotypes, namecalling, and the typical "SoE screwed it up" :smileyhappy:
  18. ARCHIVED-FlintAH Guest

19. ARCHIVED-CalypsoCGN Guest

20. ARCHIVED-FlintAH Guest

iirc the dev said .5% but that was only regaurding FTH.
    Message Edited by FlintAH on 11-25-2006 08:33 AM