Six Months Seems Like A Long Long Time

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phased Sullon Zek, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Drexll Augur

We can vote on that, too :D

But seriously, IMO the initial vote was flawed because:

1. Anyone could vote on it, not JUST the ppl on the TLP's

2. People either didnt remember or didnt CARE (looking at you, non-TLP players) how RIDICULOUSLY fast one can burn through the classic-era content given current game mechanics.

Like I've said in another post, if this were TRUE classic... if it took just as long to level on Lockjaw as it took to level in classic, I'd be perfectly FINE with waiting 6 months. Maybe even more! This is not the reality, however. Levels can breeze by in no time at all with very little REAL effort put in. It's just too easy to outgrow the content too quickly.

Some super-casuals make unintelligent remarks about those of us who complain just being basement-dwelling p-sockers, and that's simply not true. Even the super-casual player is a FAR higher level now than he would have been given an equal amount of time put in on a true classic server.

I'll quote myself again: I'd also be in favor of a total server wipe and restart with a definite locked-in 6 month wait that I promise I would never complain about IF:

We remove the new super insane out of combat mana regen
    We bring back the necessity of time-consuming corps runs
    We bring back hell levels
    We remove the translocators
    We remove the soulbinders
    We remove the "Origin" AA everyone gets at lvl 5
    We make spells from vendors cost what they used to cost
    We adjust drop rates on things like bone chips back to classic level
    We bring the XP penalty for dying back to the levels it was at in classic
    We address "the mage pet issue"

etc etc. I'm sure there's a ton of other things Im not thinking of off the top of my head. The point is, NONE, NOT ONE of the above listed "features" we presently have on our "classic-era" server were present in Classic EQ! Furthermore, each and every one of them, alone, let alone all together, VASTLY decreases the amount of time it takes to progress in the game. SERIOUSLY? People were level 50 in two weeks, and nobody thinks we have an issue here?

This is Live-era game mechanics being forced into classic-era content, and it doesnt work. Not for 6 months. If you are one of those folks who wants to stay in classic, I ask again, how would the rest of us playing in Kunark prevent you from doing everything you ever wanted to do or see in the classic content? It wouldnt.

If your answer is that "well, it's still not fair cuz the ppl playing on Kunark will have better gear than me!" then I assert that you are not REALLY interested in living the nostalgia on your own as you claim, you're interested in making it a competition with handicaps on your competitors, so that they are unable to "beat" you. Is it REALLY all about living out "classic" (like this server is classic in any way) or is it about making sure you hold people back as much as possible so you dont feel left behind? Is that in any way fair?

If we're gonna have classic-era content and that alone, then by golly give us the classic-era game mechanics to make it work, because as it is now, IT DOESNT WORK. IT'S TOO FAST, TOO EASY.

For the rest of you folks, Project 1999 is free to play. It has real live GM's and Guides... The two petitions I've had to put in were answered literally in less than 30 minutes. There's no boxing allowed, there's a Play Nice Policy including respecting camps and spawns, no KS-ing, and it's actively enforced... it's a good place to play. It's just that they're stopping at Velious and never going any further.
    Gimple and Indrigoth like this.
  2. Gimple Elder

Classic pacing was designed to be around 1 level per week...past lev 4 or 5 I think. I remember it being posted many, many, many times from Dev's back in the day. It sticks in my head very much so because I didn't start until Dec. of 1999. I was "behind" for back then, but I didn't care because their were still a lot of people around in the lev 1-15 range.

I remember getting lev 4 or 5 or so in about a week of real time.(playing maybe 3 hours a night) and I didn't get to lev 12 for a good maybe 2 months or so. Keeping with the same 3 hours a night or so.

What is crazy is I think the current xp rate was drawn BACK from live servers by 50%...so it could be even worse! LOL(meaning it could be even faster than it is now)

That is how crazy Live servers are, but then again....it makes sense on live to me with 105 levels to get through;>
    Drexll likes this.
  3. Aneuren Tempered Steel

All of your arguments about why this server isn't classic are extremely sound rejoinders against the anti-instancing crowd, I might add.

And as I told Detheb, even if we were to assume that the initial vote was in fact flawed, you still need to ensure you can replace that vote with a completely non-flawed vote, or there's really no point.
  4. Jadefox Augur

This TLP isn't, and was never intended to be, the private playground for Fippy/Vulak. DGB wanted as many players as possible to come and play here whether from the last TLP's, Live, P99, or other games. Hence the game wide vote, and the advertising. They wanted feedback from all possible players, otherwise they would have just reset one of the two earlier TLP's. Saying that the poll was flawed just because it wasn't given to (at the time) current TLP players is rather silly.

The poll was to see if there was interest in a new TLP server, and if yes, how would the majority of potential players like to see it set up. The majority of my guild are from Live. There are some P99 players in it as well as some that are returning to EQ from who knows where, and there are likely to be a few members of the former TLP's, but the lion's share are from Vox and Drinal. These Live players were polled, and now they're here. They have just as much stake in the shape of these servers than the former TLP crowd. If the poll were just of Fippy/Vulak, then they would have never had that stake, and maybe less incentive to come here.

--Jade deserves suffrage, too

BTW, OOC regen is removed, the picture is still there, though. The regen is the same in or out of combat, ya just have that little mana to get back right now. We noticed the icon in Beta, but was told that it coun't be removed, because it's tied to being in our out of combat for other reasons, though it the regen was disabled.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  5. Drexll Augur

Well, for starters we can allow ONLY people who play on TLP to vote. To prevent trolls from making TLP toons just to vote there would sadly have to be some sort of level restriction put on it, Im afraid. I've seen that discussed here before and I know some people don't like the idea, but I cant think of any other way to keep the vote "pure."

OR... maybe limit the ability to vote to accounts (on TLP) who's characters have been created for a certain period of time. That would prevent anyone from making a new toon for troll voting, and should placate the super-casuals who are still lower level than what some might be an acceptable "voting age."

As I said, to me it's not whether or not the initial vote was "flawed" per se, it's more about whether or not people were making an informed decision when they voted. Had I known about these impending servers and the vote, I may very well have voted for the 6 month progression, too, but that's because I had no idea we were going to have some of the ridiculous mechanics that are already in place on this server, mechanics which I listed above, and which make zooming through the limited classic-era content very, very easy. Im willing to bet there are plenty of people who were around to vote who may have had the same misconception, and who now feel like they were sold a bill of goods.

I feel like lots of folks flocked here expecting to be able to start from classic and work their way up... I'm sorta in that boat... what we have is classic content but this is FAR from classic mechanics. I think some ppl are clinging to the "muh classic!" mindset and refusing to accept the reality that current game mechanics have killed classic forever. Enjoy the content, yes, but for crying out lout, look at how quickly we run out of content, now!

Before too long, even the super-casuals will be max level, out of things to do, and still looking at several months before Kunark gets released. THEN we'll see some opinions start to change. I mean, you have to really TRY to NOT level to not run out of content on this server. It is my belief that before too terribly long, many of the current pro-6 month crowd will have realized this aint what it was cracked up to be, and will wish for the opportunity for a re-vote.

My main is lvl 16 now, haha... but could be MUCH higher, its just that I only play him when my friend can play as well (sigh) so I've also got a lvl 10 alt. Thats with less than 4 days on the server, and a good day or more where I barely played at all. It's pretty ridiculous, IMO.
    Indrigoth likes this.
  6. Drexll Augur

I can see gauging interest, sure. But votes deciding the fate of the server (i.e. how long between xpacs) should only be allowed to come from those actually playing on the server. I see your point, so if anything there should have been 2 votes: 1 to gauge interest, and 1 (that perhaps shouldnt even have occurred yet) given only to players on said new severs to see how quickly folks want to progress.

Idk, both my toons regen 3% mana per tick just like I read it works on live now. Coincidence? Honestly idk. Even if it is just coincidence, the other long list of "quality of life" changes make progression on this server stupidly fast compared to what it was back in the day. That's all fine and dandy with me, so long as we dont get stuck with 4 months of nothing to do.

I'll take it either way and be happy. Either give us classic-era mechanics that slow down progression and leave us in classic content for 6 months, or leave us with these goofy mechanics (which is what's going to happen) and give us some new content to enjoy once we've (very quickly) burned out what little classic has to offer.
  7. Mashef_8013 Elder

When is the re-vote? Boredom has set in. I'm not much for alts. Never had one in the first 7 years this game was fun.
    Drexll likes this.
  8. Gimple Elder

Well, ya know what I think....uh...ok, no I feel...*bites lip*....ok, no, no...I really should say...aw, heck with it. I give up. It is what it is...make it so...

Here's a blast from the past;>
    ...........................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`
    Drexll likes this.
  9. Weverley Augur

I feel that fippy/vulak and 3.0 is very different u shouldn't think that what u saw b4 gonna be samething as now.Maybe we should ask who was 2.0 and i think if u got 25% of those ur lucky.
  10. RainbowTest Augur

Who said fippy/vulak was any form of success? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. They should try new things and cater to all people. Money grabbers will find a way to profit in instanced raids. Competitive people will stick around for competitive parts, all instancing does is keep the casuals paying their monthly dues and keeping the servers population healthy. This is mind numbing that people are so blind to not see this simple simple important fact. Gear on progression servers DO NOT MATTER once a new expansion pops up. Nobody on Bristlebane gives a flying about a cloak of flames right now. Hell nobody on Fippy and vulak care about Cloaks of flame. Infact i bet you 99% of the cloak of flames earned over the past 3 years have either been tributed or are sitting on test server mules that get tributed often a week. If any of you have played in the various progression guilds you would know this. The gear holds no value when the next expansion comes up. The quicker the progression is the less value the current gearset holds and the less casuals stay around(cause they never see content).

Long expansion lifespans and instanced raid content will keep people playing the game. It won't stop people from playing. The expansions only get more complicated and time consuming as they go on there is absolutely no contrary evidence here other than people who only hold playtime as an advantage over casuals.
  11. Lumiens Augur

So have the devs ever had any more discussion on this subject?
  12. vardune Augur

9 or 12 months, 6 months is WAY to short a time. if they do a new poll I wanna see an option for 9 or 12 month.
  13. Jaxarale01 Augur

Last i saw on this issue and that of instancing raids was it is being "monitored" and "be assured we are monitoring the situation closely"

So no decision as of now but they are very aware of the two big issues facing the TLPs
  14. Sinzz Augur

Not sure where someone got a level a week , besides hell levels we dida level every 4 hrs usually I still use that as my fast/slow watermark today.
  15. Katmandu26 Augur

16. Steampunk Augur

Even if they did decide to go ahead and release Kunark tomorrow, you all would just rush through it to the end and be crying and moaning again in a few weeks. Go play Candy Crush.
    Kaneras likes this.
  17. Tweelis Augur

If some of you really want to play in Kunark you can right this instant.....there happens to be 16 servers with Kunark unlocked. I can even attest that at least 2 of those servers have some really nice people playing on them. Chances are all of them have some pretty nice people but since I've only played on two that's where my first hand knowledge stops.

The comments about us super slow casual crowd should be whatever level you deem we should be, I'm so glad you know everything about us. Many of us don't see this game as a competition but rather as something to slow down after a very long tiring day. If that means we suck at EQ so be it....my is measured not by having a full group of level 50 mages but rather by things outside the game.

I came to this server for many reasons. One of them being so I wouldn't feel like I needed to be bleeding edge with all of TDS completed. My guild back on the regular server has been farming TDS raids for quite awhile which is great. I'm still working on tier 2 group stuff in TDS and anytime I mentioned getting a hand I was met with silence or groans. My playtime is very well suited to a slower lower level game like is offered on these new servers; back on Bristlebane it's a hindrance to guildies.

TL;DR If you want Kunark go play Kunark and let us slowbies enjoy what we were told we were going to get.....a significant amount of time in classic.
  18. Skum Elder

6 months was what everyone originally voted for. Don't change it. Changing to less than 6 months is an absolutely horrible idea and caters to the carebears, and waters down the experience.
  19. Greymere Augur

Been pretty open about my opposition to changing from 6 months to faster to appease a base that wants to accelerate the game timeline from advertised times.

1. I may be max level for most of 6 months but I was max level for most of the time I was in Classic prior to Kunark original release too for a much longer period of time and it didn't bother me then, and I had alot more time on my hands then.

2. Longer time in Classic is incentive to address issues related to overcrowding and toxic community behavior. Communities take time to build, including those in guilds. Bad apples are easier to identify, banhammer when you keep everyone in a more confined game environment as they have less places to spread out and be bad without being seen. Its a greater incentive to demand changes to how current content is rationed in the game when you can point to overcrowding and scarcity as impetus for fixing game design issues, kicking the can down to Kunark doesn't fix either the overpopulation or the reduced rate of items coming into the game world, players are just tuned to be so much more powerful than originally they don't notice the absence.

3. The more of the playerbase we have at max level with most of their gear the more high level pressure is placed on raids and epics once Kunark opens. See reasons posted above. The game is designed with horrible bottlenecks that took a long time to complete when originally released, now double the population and give us less than half the time and see what happens, especially if you add in content blocking from a large guild. Even in the original epic quests they had to change raid target respawn timers and add triggered mobs to help ease up on those bottlenecks they self inflicted on us. Heck even recently they had to introduce triggered spawns for epics for the remainder of Live servers to address the issue in a much less populated raid scene.

Fixing the core issues of content availability, and what is by design even more scarce availability that what was available in the game originally in era is a better solution than simply accelerating to the next era where the same issue will then exist.
  20. Vlerg Augur

fippy people were begging for kunark 2 months in... in fact, every single vote to progress to the next expansion won until gates of discord.

im not quite sure why you think Fippy population want a slower pace?