Next EQ expansion be more EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Iven the Lunatic

2. Nennius Curmudgeon

3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Not when you take inflation into account.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It would be nice to see EQ going back to being EQ with more choice of gear and complete visable pieces dropping rather than having to add something to it which costs a fortune to make it wearable. I'm not talking about the tradeskill stuff, that is just a mess now with no idication as to what some items are for, ie augs and weapons.

Also where are the tunics? It has been years since we have had any tunics drop and robes need a new look they have been the same plain design in different shades for many, many years now.
    Skuz and Dre. like this.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

It is already included.
  6. Zohan Journeyman

Instead of continually remapping old zones, and has been said many times in this thread mainly due to lack of people and money. Maybe they should stop the every year expansion and just release 1 every 18 months or 2 years to give time for a limited staff to actually build an expansion from scratch.
    Iven likes this.
  7. Yamkin New Member

POK revamp would be pretty cool imo
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

All visible armor has been the same designs in different shades for many, many, many years unless you want to pay for the unlock to use the ornamentation slots.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Extensive zone revamps can be more time consuming than creating new zones. For the sake of better and bigger expansions that is a nice idea but many players do think that it would kill EQ because we already had a discussion about that some years ago. Basically EQ just does need more devs but if this is not going to happen, 18 or 24 month expansions might be a thing.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Revamp Mines of Gloomingdeep!
    Dre. likes this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Been done :p
  12. Iven the Lunatic

Level 85 and 100 versions of MoG for heroic Carakers might be usefull.
  13. Tucoh Augur

I wouldn't mind seeing the next expansion reduce the focus on missions. Currently missions have overtuned rewards that feel like loot pinata dailies while the static world is there for quest progression, achievement hunting and solo content.

Something that made fighting in the static world more rewarding (ex: faster named spawns, group currency from named, higher chance for ores, etc) or missions less rewarding is all that's needed.
    Dre., Skuz, Windance and 1 other person like this.
  14. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

That might be useful for returnees, too, to get back into the swing of things or even for someone feeling a bit of a struggle optimising their character with all the AA and other stuff available only in the upper levels.
  15. uberkingkong Augur

I am expecting 30th expansion to be BIG

lowbar is
    9 new zones
    new quests/missions/raids
    new gear
    new spells
    level increase
    some QoL thing keyrings etc.

highbar
    CHATGPT NPC sophisticated AI
    INNOVATIVE weather system
    ship to ship combat
    ship mounts
    NEW fishing, actually have to do something
    races
    mini games
    NEW visual armor designs
    NEW events, meta events
    NEW shrouds
    NEW neighborhood designs/house designs

It's EQ 30th expansion. BIG DEAL. 21,22,23,24,25 they can do lowbar.
    But 30th.The bar is set HIGH.

Other games are making EQ obsolete, 3rd world, outdated.
    Its HIGH time for EQ. Its DO OR DIE time.

30th expansion, be more like EQ.
    INNOVATIVE sets the bar HIGH gets things DONE
    You have your 64 bit, you have your updated UI.
    NO EXCUSES on 30th expansion bar is set high, this year, 2023, 30th EQ expansion its HIGH TIME.
    We are ready for HIGH BAR 30th expansion, showcasing WHY it was important to go 64 bit. Showcasing WHY it was important to update UI. Showcasing WHY we should continue playing EQ over these other VERY VERY quick paced quick evolving MMORPGs EQ competes with.

Boom here is the weather code, easy DONE
    next high item

Boom here is CHATGPT sophisticated AI, easy DONE
    next high bar item

Boom here is ship ship combat, easy DONE.
    next high bar item

This 30th expansion. All eyes on EQ. They still got or they fading into 3rd world obsoleted MMORPG?

Code has been done, its available publicly, NO EXCUSES. It's 2023.
    It's 30th expansion.

I am expecting HIGH BAR, this is 30th expansion. BIG BIG BIG deal.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Most of what you have in your highbar list I would pass on and I think most people would as well.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Iven the Lunatic

It will not only be the 30th expansion, it will be the expansion for and during the 25th anniversary. Two big anniversaries combined !

Lowbar:
    • 10 new zones.
    • Something "innovative" like dyeable Hero Forge armor or many new faces and hairstyles for models 1.0 and 2.0 or a Global friend list tell chat channel
    • Retro themed expansion, based on original Norrath. My favourite theme would be the First Ogre - Dwarven War on Faydwer involving zones like Dagnor's Cauldron, Butcherblock Mountains, Kaladim, Greater and Lesser Faydark, Hills of Shade.
    • New merchandise articles
    Highbar:
    • 15 new zones with a good mix between retro-revamped, new, outdoor, dungeons.
    • Bazaar trader access for FTP/Silver (without offline trader).
    • General chat useable by FTP/Silver (other channels do stay locked).
    • Additional account model between FTP and AllAccess (Could be combined with above).
    • New class ; like the Spellsword (WIZ/WAR hybrid; Part 1, Part 2) for Gnome, Human, Drakkin, Dark Elf, Froglok.
    • Player Character models 3.0 based on a revamp of 1.0.
    • Merchandise Shop
  18. Iven the Lunatic

What are your expectations for the next expansion, McMarrin ?

Are you kidding me ? What About Bob? is one of the most funny comedy movies.
    On top of it, even in RL "Bob" and "Dr. Leo Marvin" had conflicts which might had been usefull for the movie. :D
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What my expectations for an expansion are have nothing to do with my opinion on your suggestions but lets look at them

1. What value to the game does an "innovative" weather system add at this point in its life?
    2. Ship to ship combat? I guess that is just a phrase from the old days when that was listed as part of an expansion.
    3. Ship Mounts? Not sure what use that would be outside of a very few zones.
    4. New fishing sounds like normal tradeskill updates
    5. Not sure what "races" is supposed to mean
    6. Not sure what you want by mini games but I would rather focus on the main game
    7. New looks sure
    8. New events sure
    9. There are so many issues with shrouds they should just be left alone
    10. Sure new housing could be good.
  20. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

I think that EQ needs to start experimenting with new ideas no matter how crazy they are. EQ 3 will never be made if the only path forward is creating EQ 1 with a graphics update. It would satisfy the current playerbase but not bring in a lot of new players. Daybreak should try something wild and see what sticks.

The franchise has so many expansions that you can just enjoy the previous expansions if the newest expansion is too much for you.