(Feedback) EoK - Dungeons, high mob density, few safe camp spots

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Phoebes, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Okay wait a minute. You have been arguing that having such areas is bad for the game and makes things easier so you don't want any of them in Droga now you have changed your tune and say they are already these areas in Droga? Or am I mixing up your posts with someone else's?

When anyone has mentioned there are suitabe afk areas or camp areas I have missed my response has been I will go back and look some more. No complaining there. I have done a fair bit of looking for such areas though. I didn't run in try a spot then leave because it was no good.
  2. Belexes ForumQuester

Let me save everyone some time here. I have read this thread and come up with what each side is saying.

Corwhyn - Devs need to consider creating AFK spots in future zones, so we can multi-task or use the bathroom.

The rest of EQ community - Devs never have intentionally created AFK spots in zones, players make the camps and with a group, one person can do a bio break and the rest of the group stands guard. If you are just a mage box army, or any sort of boxer...well, them's the breaks. Real groups have no issues in dungeons. Many spots exist where you can take short AFK breaks if you are need to. Devs don't need to delve into this sort of thing.

Camps are not a design feature in EQ. They exist because players can find places that a group can park at to pull mobs and pull mobs to that spot.

My Take...

I tend to side with the rest of the EQ community. Camps are made by players, not by Devs. Players find spots where they can pull to and stay relatively safe. Some are safer for a boxer than others.

I myself have seen places in EoK dungeons were you can go AFK.

If you have a real group, you shouldn't have AFK issues. :) You tell someone, "hey, my phone rang, gonna be afk for a minute." and they watch out for you. They hold pulls etc.

This is a group game, not a boxer game. Boxing is something people do to get around from having to play in real groups. The reasons for getting around real groups can vary. Can't find group, don't like playing with other players etc. Boxing is sort of an exploit if you ask me and I box two accounts.

If something comes up and I am in a dungeon boxing and I worry about dying while I am AFK, I simply camp or gate. I don't expect someone to tailor a game to my particular needs.

Everyone has different play styles and needs. You can't expect game developers to cater to everyone. They design the game, you decide how you want to play it.

Dungeons are meant to be challenging and scary. If someone can't play in them the way they like, doesn't mean it needs to be changed to suit them. Go to another zone where your playstyle, lifestyle can be accommodated. If you can't do that, play another game that can, like solitaire or D&D. :p You are in the minority here Corwhyn. :)

Take Care
  3. Belexes ForumQuester

Go find them Corwhyn!! They are there. Learning to find spots like this take time if you can't leverage off the work someone else has done. After a while, these spots become well known to many. In a new dungeon, it takes time for these spots to become common knowledge. They require more work and research than open zones.

This is why I have rogues on both of my accounts. I will take a rogue in a dungeon and will spend a lot of time there observing and learning. Then I mark up my maps.

These zones are relatively new, don't condemn them to be not playable if you haven't learned them yet.
  4. segap Augur

If you go back and read my replies to you, I've said there are spots in Droga I can afk without even being invis. I'm not saying afk safe spots do not exist. I've been arguing they don't need to go out of their way to make more afk spots or to even cater to afk players.

My personal preference is to have a zone or two each expansion that requires constant attention. A zone that I can't spend 80% of my attention on the tv instead of being challenged by the game. A place that truly makes me feel like death lurks around every corner. A place where casually playing and going afk is not possible. I like adrenaline rushes. I like being pushed by content.

If I go see a movie in a theater, I plan on sitting in my seat for two hours. I do the same for gaming sessions. I plan my play time around uninterrupted play. I choose to do more attentive things after the kids are in bed, when no one is coming to the door, etc. If I'm playing when there will be distractions, I do more casual things in the game. Time management and planning.
    Belexes likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

First his is getting more interesting hearing the reason why you feel the way you do instead of just saying its bad. Or just it ruins the game. Or go do something else if you dont like it.

I get where you are coming from but for good or bad I spend a lot more time playing EQ then I do going to the movies. A LOT MORE. So picking play times with no distractions is a lot harder for me. And I suspect it will probably take me more the an occasional 2 hours to get drops I want from Droga never mind what others I may group with may want.

And I agree about being constantly engaged but just saying it would be nice to be able to invis and take a moment when needed. Though if you were really constantly engaged you would never be able to afk to go to the bathroom. That is probably not the majority of the players. Even raids have time for bathroom breaks.

I dont get an adrenaline rush from not being able to leave the keyboard at all. I am not even EOK raid geared and I actually don't find camping Droga any sort of adrenaline rush for most of it. Maybe the named fights are a bit. Are you that challenged by Droga? Haven't done as much Droga as I would like because I need to afk without a timetable but I haven't found the see invis to create any sort of adrenaline rush they are just an irritation.

To be honest besides the reasons to occasionally NEED an afk from the game part of the reason to want one is that long camps get boring and timing afks gets tiring. Some I group with are non stop action peeps and we get a lot of exp and mobs but that isn't an adrenaline rush for me either. Some named pulls, some missions yes but I think you get a rush out of more of EQ then I do which is why I dont think the afk when wanted is a big deal and you think it ruins the game.

To be honest if I want an adrenaline rush I tend to play single player games or pvps games like CoD. There are a few moments in EQ though.. certain missions, parts of raids etc do get a bit exciting.
  6. Helena New Member

Wow. You all are a bunch of haters.
  7. Belexes ForumQuester

Wow, you have a reading comprehension problem! Nowhere in the post you quoted was there anything mean or derogatory towards Corwhyn. I think he handles himself quite well on the forums and seems like a decent guy. I just didn't agree with his opinion and gave him mine. There are other posts of his I like and agree with on this site.

How is that hate? I suggest you re-read my post and if you are talking about someone else being a hater, then learn to use the forum better and don't quote posts that don't support your views. It amazes me sometimes the conclusions people make on this site and other sites for that matter.

What ever happened to education system and our society that we churn out individuals that have poor communication and reading skills? This isn't directed solely at you Helena, you are just one of the many examples I see.

In conclusion, I would also state that if the poster in question thought I had spewed hatred his way, he would have said something about it and if he was right, I would have apologized. He isn't wrong for having his opinion on this subject. Neither am I wrong. Opinions can never be right or wrong unless they are backed up with factual data that proves right or wrong, but then it really isn't an opinion at that point is it?
  8. Tvarian Augur

While I do agree on most things with Corwhyn, this is one instance where I disagree. Yes there are times when RL comes at you and you need to afk. Happens to me a lot actually. When I have to afk, I'll simply tell the group that I need to go, and they'll adjust accordingly. Same with any other player. Just a couple days ago, I was in a group in Droga camping a named, and one person went afk for about 10 mins, and I went afk when he came back. The group never stopped killing mobs, and things were fine. Droga is not a zone made for players to stand around afk and watch the mobs walk by.

The difference though is that you box your whole group, so you're the only one there. Your afk is different than a normal group's afk in that sense. If you want the afk in Droga, then succor your group, kill the entrance mobs, invis up and afk.

I'm sensing that maybe the issue with that is that you don't want to lose your camp while you are afk. Sounds like you want to be able to afk anywhere in order to have your presence there when someone runs by.

Someone mentioned that there is no pause button in EQ. Closest thing to that is the camp button.

I look at it this way. There are zones in which you can solo mobs, and zones where you can't. We shouldn't be asking for all zones to be soloable, in the same way we shouldn't ask for freely afkable spots in all zones.
    Belexes likes this.
  9. Xanathol Augur

Need to afk? Drink a planar overdose.
    Kravn, Bigstomp and Belexes like this.
  10. Goranothos Augur

It wasn't hate. "Hater" is just a millennial buzzword for anyone who expresses an opinion contrary to theirs.
    IblisTheMage, Belexes and Nennius like this.
  11. Tvarian Augur

Millennials... :rolleyes:
    Belexes likes this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Not true for everyone of course, but far too true for many.
    Belexes likes this.
  13. Belexes ForumQuester

Geez, way to make me feel old. :D

Maybe a Baby Boomer like me should stay off the interwebs. ;)

It's all groovy Helena, I am sure you are a neato person. :cool:

We got buzzwords too. :p
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Really good idea I have only ever used those for over pulls or getting around the see invis on the way to a camp but that would do the job just fine.

Go crazy with see invis now :)
    Belexes likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Wow. First off I have yet to box droga though I have brought in toons to buff the group. Mostly get invited to play with my nephew and his friends.

And no not trying to hold a camp afk. All I wanted to do was be able to answer the front door or bio or deal with an in game issue for a few minutes without having to abandon my camp or deal with a see invis. I explained that early on and yet people keep making up stuff *sighs* . The reasons I gave for wanting to be able to afk were it.

Tvarien first of the rest of my group is there even if I am not. And my presence is there if I afk during the time between see invis spawns. I have also mentioned that Droga rarely seems very full anyway so what would the worry be.

And this solo mobs thing. I guess you mean box them. I haven't asked for any zone to be soloable so not sure what you are talking about. So far I have encounted a t2 named I dont consider worth the trouble to box so I dont. And I dont ask for it to be made easier. I made it very clear the only thing I would like easier is going afk if I need to. Didn't ask for less pathers, didnt ask for mob density to be changed, didn't ask for mob hp to be reduced etc etc etc.

But now I have the answer I will buy extra planar overdoses and if I am the tank and have to afk I will just pass them out to group and they can go FD till I am back. I will do the same if I box droga too.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I suspect the comment was to the responders in whole but that is a guess. A lot of the responses were go play another game or versions of it or taking a comment of being able to afk for a couple minutes at the spur of a moment to wanting to afk half the day, keep the camp when not playing etc etc. I did enjoy the parts that were just trying to discuss the issue on a friendly basis and that acknowledged these were just different opinions.
  17. Millianna Augur

The social contract everyone signed at launch is significantly different than now. It has always been the responsibility of the player to go out and level up. However, how it's done is completely different - it has changed from a group centered game to molo centered. Just like the previous change, the devs decided to make EoK a little more group centered. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and no real reason to change it. Get a group or have yout guild members push you through the content.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I couldn't agree more RL groups are good for the game.

Not sure EoK is doing much to encourage grouping as even in Droga many seem to have no issue moloing there... Most of my experience in that dungeon has been in a real group but I haven't seen anything to think boxing it would be terribly different from the rest of the game. I have grouped with one of my nephews and his friends in Droga and we churn through mobs like crazy. Then again I see him box it and he does the same thing..... oh the joys of being young.

I do think the fact Daybreak has let mercs fall a bit behind in the game though is a sign they are trying to encourage grouping at bit more. At least as far as having real tanks. Letting mercs fall a bit behind isn't a bad thing. Even if letting mercs fall behind only encourages more boxes over mercs if they at least get all access it is good for eq. More RL groups are ideal though.

I don't believe in pushing folks through content when it can be avoided though and the guild I run is definitely not a hard core raiding guild. I would rather get people to try the zones out and get them up to speed enough to handle grouping there then running them through things.

I also agree that ideally things should be easier for a group of real players over groups with mercs or boxes. Unfortunately with some allowable software boxing becomes even easier. Whatever will bring in more all access subs.
  19. Millianna Augur

The average group geared player isn't going to molo well in EoK. Pushing people through group content isn't any different then doing same for raids.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Depends on what part of EoK. If people are T1 EoK group geared they should be able to handle the tougher EoK stuff if they have to group instead of box thats fine.. straight molo one toon one merc wont work but it shouldn't. If people are going to do mainly JUST group content pushing them through it other then the progression doesn't help them really. Helping them get groups and learn how to do the content would be my preference.