Constructive feedback on Mangler and Selo

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spayce Augur

I find it extremely hilarious that the casual server is going to attract all the hardcore guilds looking to race. It actually sounds fun trying to race to clear VT.

DBG gonna DBG I guess haha.
  2. Artaserse2 Elder

Selo's will be down to 1-2 ultra-hardcore racing guilds well better SoF. As has been stated above, this is more of an event server than a traditional TLPS. Still it should be quite a ride until mid-summer when WoW Classic comes out. :)

Mangler will be DoA unless they do something about the XP.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Renshu and Risiko like this.
  3. Faidaen Lorekeeper

I truly feel like the servers could have had some great potential, but I feel as if a lot of the recommendations by the player base are falling short on what "we" all want in our servers. This was the opportunity to open two servers that could have catered to both the Truebox players and Multi-box players with FV loot rules.

The unlock speed for Selo is very fast, but the one thing I look at is, each guild/raid guild can go at their own pace for raiding. The raids are instanced, plus faster lockout times, gives a better opportunity to put a stamp on the era you wish to raid as a guild.

Mangler server, should receive their fair shake of course, while a slower exp rate doesn't appeal too me, i'm sure the P99 players minus the corpse runs are interested.

Selo could have and should be a box server. Why? Because this would generate huge potential income with massive amounts of accounts. A lot of players are interested in a box, instanced, FV loot rules, increased exp, and lower raid times! I know that not everyone is interested in boxing, but if you look at the big picture here! By giving each style of player their own home, what do I mean? This would give the Truebox server Mangler a better chance of not having massive boxing on it by giving Selo the place for boxers to go.

Mangler server should a clone of Selo just with Truebox.

I am glad that there's at least a spike in communication on the forums, which is always a great thing too see; that tells me the community is strong in our old world. I just wish that there was more communication between the Dev's and the players for what we want with our 20 year old world.
    Garnol and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. Moranis Augur

Here I was, concerned that I would have to choose between which one to play on...and now I don't want either.

I might be interested in Selos for about a month just to see how the TLP dynamic starts with the first (4) expacs open, but Mangler just sounds like torture.

I will say, however, that I appreciate the fact that they're finally venturing away from their tried and true model of tinkering only with exp rates and expac unlocks and actually changing a couple of the game features (i.e. removing focus effects on Mangler and starting in SoL on Selo's). I hate the fact that they latch on to Truebox so tightly though.

Maybe next year they'll make an expac for me...
  5. jack of all trades Elder

This. 100% this. Mangler is already dead, just bury it. Remove True-Box on Selo's so that the "casuals" can actually group in their limited time. Even with the increased experience, you're going to have casuals behind. Then you have to factor in keying (hi2u VT) and flagging.

I'm really surprised DBG is taking such a firm stance on killing their own game. You promoted a "hardcore" server, and simply gave them Coirnav with even worse experience (which everyone on Coirnav complained about). You promoted a "ultra casual" server, and gave them 1 month unlocks, starting 4 expansions in... so you really don't want them to experience anything right? ******** unbelievable that this company is still in business.
    Zinth likes this.
  6. Grokl-VS Journeyman

I had expected more than doing something with exp and unlock timer.

Especially from the hardcore server... like corpse runs or..
    Lakeland likes this.
  7. Thalliius Augur

Sounds like you aren't an ultra-casual player.... if you're worried about falling behind because of a 2 week vacation in real life, then the Hardcore server or your current server is probably more up your alley...
    FubarEQ likes this.
  8. Thrudd New Member

Scrap them both and make a more intelligent ruleset?
    Lakeland and SweetLaxTho like this.
  9. Funk Augur

Free trade on Selo's would be a good thing, after experiencing a free trade market compared to standard server it's better for nearly everyone.

It increases player generosity, helps guilds gear new raiders quicker (which would be perfect for these fast unlocks), makes the open market more fun and profitable for most players.

And above all.... makes more money for DGB with increased krono revenue.

Free trade was a hot topic in the discussion of what the perfect rule sets would be for the new servers, I think you should reconsider this option for the Selo's server.
  10. Gremin Augur

They should of just named the Selos server Holly, you filthy casuals!
    Crayon123 likes this.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

Just my 2 cents as someone from the outside looking in trying to remain as objective as possible. They really needed to flip the unlocks on these two servers and problem solved. Being casual is the exact opposite of racing from point A to point B but rather taking your time along the way. A true casual server would have longer lockouts but adding in the increased xp, rare spawns, faction modifiers means that a casual should be able to accomplish more in their limited playing time so they are hopefully leveled up, geared up, and quested up before the next unlock and never really feel behind. There is no real casual that is going to accomplish all of this in one months time. Sure they might get the levels needed and maybe a few pieces of gear but the "quest" part of everquest will be all but removed from the casual experience if they want to keep up with the rest of the server and stand a chance at getting groups.

Someone who is hardcore usually tries to get server firsts, brags about having BIS gear, and might even post some silly videos of how skilled they are playing. These are the players that don't need the 3 months between expansions and only giving them a month would present an actual challenge or at least for those who claim to be hardcore but maybe have not really achieved hardcore status yet.

In short flip the darn lockouts and I think a lot of the issues with both servers will be fixed.
    Garnol, Sethiroth, andross77 and 4 others like this.
  12. Renshu Augur

I disagree a bit. With double EXP, TLP vets are going to want to make alts. I will be making hella alts during the three months of POP (POP+Ykesha+LDoN). It will be better to roll on this server for quite a while vs live. People also won't feel as "behind" on this server starting out vs live for almost two years. On live, the gap feels daunting to most people who haven't played in a long time.

I like this server in theory and will be playing on it. I think the jury is still out on the keying/flagging. I think the unlocks are going to end up being too short, Phini is currently complaining about 3 months vs upcoming content. Increased named and rare drops or w/e will help with some issues, but there will be major issues. This is likely to be the more popular of the two and by a heavy margin. Mangler or w/e is likely to fail, but they have a path laid as it is mostly a Phini clone. Selo is going to bring up new issues that have never been brought up as it progresses. I hope it's a fun ride.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  13. Silinius Augur

I was pretty pumped for the potential rule sets as were a number of my guild mates across both Faceless Agnarr and Faceless Ragefire (past and present). Today was a let down. The hardcore server totally missed the mark. And while the "casual" server was closer, the new xpac unlock schedule and Luclin start is horrible and makes it not much better.

I agree with the post earlier in this thread stating that if you add free trade loot and 2 month unlocks to each of these servers, they become more appetizing. I'm sure there is a reason why free trade loot hasn't been a thing on EQ1 but I'm curious as to the dev's take on it. Do you just hate the concept of free trade loot? Is there a technical reason? Is it horrible to code?

Some insight into reasoning from Day Break would be fantastic.
    ForumBoss, FubarEQ, Risiko and 2 others like this.
  14. Risiko Augur

I just don't understand why anyone would choose this server over a Live server. Selo will be a Live server in January of 2021. That's less than 2 years from the time it opens.

There is no way you will be able to keep up with the expansions as they open up every month, so there is no benefit for being there when they open up. In other words, you might as well be playing on a Live server that already has the expansions open on them.

Honestly, what benefit do you think there will be to someone who is casually playing, and is level 70 next March going through the Omens of War expansion while the rest of the server is level 85 going through Seeds of Destruction over being level 70 next March on a Live server?

How is being behind by many expansions on the Selo server somehow better than being many expansions behind on a Live server? I just don't understand why that would be better for a casual.

On the other hand, if a casual wanted to play on a server that is going to accelerate through the expansions that fast and be perpetually behind the curve, they could start a new character on a server like FV, and at least have the benefit of purchasing raid gear from the bazaar that they will need to catch up to the end game.

I don't know.. maybe I'm missing something here, but this seems like 100% fail.
  15. taliefer Augur

its cause these are where the darts landed on their boards of "exp rate" and "how fast do we unlock expansions"
    Lakeland likes this.
  16. Tornat Augur

Selos seems more the hard core server easy to get left in the dust in that one . needs little bit longer on the unlocks 2 months or even just 6 weeks would help . seems wont have time for anything but raiding

I agree with others on the other server is dead on arrival. Longer grinds dont = hardcore or skilled it = waste of time.
    SweetLaxTho and Crayon123 like this.
  17. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

The code is already there from the Quarm server. If they added a Quarm style reward and some goals to hit I would play on Selo's but otherwise I have no interest whatsoever in dealing with TLP and the rampant toxicity involved with them. When 40 year old men act like 12 year olds on XBOX Live to me that just makes the game no fun at all.

Daybreak really screwed the people on Quarm who are now stuck on Brekt with nothing to look forward to in the future since Daybreak will not help them at all. That's a real shame as the community there is really good for the most part.
  18. Renshu Augur

For me, hopefully there will be a bunch of people to play through all of the expansions I've never played (everything past OOW). I really liked my first play through of GoD and OOW on Phini and would like to see some other content past that. Can't really do that on live, there's nobody there to do the content with your. This server will last as long as the top guilds keep racing to be first on . One month per expansion with increased drops, shorter lock outs. This is a dream come true for top guilds and people with high play times. The shorter lock outs might keep people around longer. This is a radically different server and I think it's going to be super popular. As long as I can have good play time, I think it will work out for me. If something comes up, then I'm prob screwed, get left behind and quit EQ again.
    Risiko likes this.
  19. Risiko Augur

If you intend to stay up with the curve and play all of the content in era, than Selo is the server for you. I agree with you on that.

The thing is, with a one month unlock for expansions, keeping up with the current expansion on the Selo server will not be 99.9% of the casual players. Those people that are truly casual gamers will not keep up with the expansion unlocks, and the gap is going to grow QUICKLY between them and the end game crew.

In other words, this server is literally only going to exist for 1 or 2 guilds to play that are racing. Everybody else on this server are going to be better off on a Live server.
    Lakeland and Tyrs like this.
  20. Crayon123 Augur

At least for me, the silver lining is the ability to join a guild of like-minded individuals and pick/choose our progression targets together and experience a lot of these newer expansions.

On a traditional Live server, that is not really possible, its just soloing your way to max level and jumping into the most recent content.

You don't necessarily need to be bleeding edge and BIS in order to see and experience a lot of the missed content and raid targets. That to me, is exciting, a TLP server that will actually MAKE it to Live without plummeting in population after GoD unlocks.
    Renshu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.