Constructive feedback on Mangler and Selo

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renshu Augur

Time will tell. As they always say, "That's why they play the games".
  2. tryieq Journeyman

Yeah was pretty excited that at least one of the new servers would be worth subbing for but honestly both disappoint.
    Lakeland and SweetLaxTho like this.
  3. Mr Nobody Elder

As to Mangle, I am still shaking my head at the slower xp. Mangle is worse than Coirnav. With slower xp and no fv loot... they are going backwards.

As to Selo... I am still digesting the ruleset. A lot of potential issues. I advocated for fast/fast/fast so I can't complain about Selo but It seems the majority of people here would like 2 month unlocks. It definately seems like the hardcore server to me. Easy to fall way behind as a casual.

I am holding out hope that these rulesets will be tweaked. Maybe it is just wishful thinking.
    Lakeland and SweetLaxTho like this.
  4. Crayon123 Augur

The intern mixed up the unlock timers between the servers, Selo will be 3 months and Mangler will be 1 month. An embarrassing mix-up, but its a new employee and all...
    Lakeland and Valanie like this.
  5. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Even a millennial intern wouldn't have made that mistake.
  6. Jezzie Augur

It seems to me like Daybreak got it backwards.
    Isn't it Hardcores that want to be max level and raiding after 24hr?
    Isn't it Casuals that prefer the kickback and enjoy the journey approach, longer unlocks and slower xp?
    Why would Casuals want to skip expansions?

The way it stands the best server for Casuals is the Hardcore server.
  7. ApocoTon New Member

Here is what Luclin will look like on selos probably once you get a rotation which is nuts..
    Day 1: VT
    Day 2: Seru+Ssra
    Day 3: Khati+Kael (for boc/st key)
    I'm assuming you're going to want avatar weapons. So you're off time for .5 days will be to get an avatar weapon or sleepers key from klandicar/zlandicar. Far from a casual server lol
    Magepetsrule likes this.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I doubt anyone is stupid enough to want slower than coirnav experience.
    Not even the most hardcore 20 hour a day player would be stupid enough to want that.
    SweetLaxTho likes this.
  9. Thalliius Augur

Starts in Shadows of Luclin - Love this.. can start as a Vah Shir/Beastlord, and have immediate access to the Nexus Spires for easier travel. Also isn't going to have the same Classic start that is monopolized and monetized by the more hardcore players.

Not to mention there are just way more early level zones to choose from, so it will help avoid massive congestion at the cookie cutter zones

Truebox - Love it... don't want to see huge box armies roaming around freely. If you want to box, do it on multiple computers and work at it.. i hope they perma ban anyone caught using software to automate or control 20+ accounts.. PERMA-BAN

1 month unlocks - At first I thought I hated this, and i was trying to think of their thought process behind it... but the more i think about it, the more I think it has a chance to work

1. Casuals are usually behind anyways on TLPs... we still have lots of people in our guild who don't even have their Emp keys, nevermind their VT keys and PoP comes out tomorrow. I was mad that they didn't address the flagging/keying aspects of the game on this "ultra" casual server, but maybe they view the monthly unlocks as a solution to that problem, because if you fall behind you will eventually not even need a key to enter ST, Emp, VT, etc as the expansions unlock, the key requirements for X number of expansions back get removed

2. This is going to accelerate us towards some of the later expansions that i never really got to experience. I played up until around OoW, but after that I don't remember too much about the game and at least 1 or 2 expansions after that i stopped playing, so its all new to me after that..

3. This, combined with starting in Luclin sort of saturates the market with more leveling zones/gear and it forces any RMT pieces of garbage that lock down camps to move on to the next top zone each month to keep up with the latest and greatest or they fall behind... so they should hopefully move on and out of the way of the true casual players with this setup, or the casuals will just skip that particular item/zone if they decide to stay and move on to other gear in newer expansions.. Casuals won't care because if you can keep up with a 1 month unlock timer, you aren't a casual player.

Fast experience rate - LOVE this.. this was an absolute requirement for me.. im actually upset that they didn't increase it more, but I'm also not familiar with the XP rates of Lockjaw and Ragefire, so coming from Coirnav this will probably feel as good or better than using a 50% XP potion on New Years Bonus XP Weekend.... only it will be like that ALL the time, and i will still buy XP potions so that I can make even more efficient use of my time.

Thank you for letting logic and reason win out on this one. Excellent decision.

Higher rare spawn rate - This is great, but I wish this also applied to mobs that drop key components, or other quest/epic components and not just named.. but this will help saturate the market with items from various expansions all at once, which means items like FBSS, GEBs, etc wont have nearly as much value and therefor wont be massively camped and exploited by nasty little krono farmers

Faster faction gains - Love it.. nothing much to say, the faction grind was not enjoyable, especially for casuals... nice job

Shorter raid instance lock outs - I don't like this setting, but its not that big of deal... Its probably going to attract a ton of the Try Hards, but i guess it doesnt matter because they'll blow by all the casuals into future expansions anyways

This does mean more people selling loot rights to items more often, but again hopefully that will drive the prices down with these coming into the game faster, and with expansions coming out so quickly the items diminish in value fairly quickly

The krono farmers and RMTers can still profit, they're just going to have to work at it and be able to quickly adapt to the market and the new expansions.. boohoo, poor krono farmers have to work hard? how sad....
    Remind, Yinla and yerm like this.
  10. Hawer Lorekeeper

This is it exactly. Just look at the guilds now recruiting, the only self described casual guild is going Mangler, where the competitive "hardcore" guilds are all gong Selo.

Its hard to even imaging what DB was thinking on this. Now if they claimed them to both be different versions of hardcore, then fine they did that, but there is no casual server being released, let alone Ultra-Casual.
    SweetLaxTho, Thalliius and snailish like this.
  11. Jezzie Augur

Selling PL'ing on Mangler, 8 krono per hour. Call me!
    SweetLaxTho and Thalliius like this.
  12. Jimmy2times Elder

Where the hell is the FV ruleset we have been asking for since forever ago??

You kidding me?

Does DBG read this?

FV RULESET!
  13. DarkerArts Lorekeeper

I actually think there are plenty of players looking for a Mangler type server, but no focus effects and normal 12 week expansion launch kills it for me since I typically play a caster. Why would anyone play a caster besides an enchanter now? Seriously, higher AC and HP used to be seen as a perk for melee and that's why casters were originally the highest DPS. But with melee only augs, more availability of gear, and adjustments to melee damage, not to mention the higher AC and HP, there is absolutely no reason at all to play Mage/Necro/Wizard. Just replace them with druids for the ports and monks for the DPS.

And trying to reach level 50, obtain raid gear, then maintain level 50 with death touch as a major mechanic - which you will be dealing with several times a week with instances - at those experience rates as a melee? Is anyone at all going to play Mangler? Classic EQ had harsh experience rates and death penalties but you were lucky to raid CT or Sky and you had an entire year to max level 50 in preparation for Kunark.

Selo? Might as well just go start on a live server.
  14. DarkerArts Lorekeeper

Yes.
  15. snailish Augur

I'm genuinely glad you are enthused for this.

I think the 1 month unlock combined with starting in Luclin immediately stops a pile of true casual/dabbler players from bothering to even login to the server.

I guess it is good to have that clear from the beginning.

Myself, I would have made a plan to run a longer unlock, minimal effort on my part server that got people to pay to play 2-4 years before PoP opens. Especially if I was calling it casual.
    SweetLaxTho likes this.
  16. Mashef Augur

The way Selo can work is individual guilds deciding to progress at their own pace and level lock using the AA meter to go through raids. Even then its kind of pointless with 1 month unlocks. Everything about the server is amazing except 1 month unlocks.
  17. Lateryn Augur

Eh to a lot of people doing the trilogy again is boring. Luclin and beyond is when classes really start to shine and fill out, in both gear and abilities. It's good they are trying something different, if you want to start in classic for the 20th time there is an option for that.
    Yinla likes this.
  18. yerm Augur

Everything is amazing except 1 month unlocks which are BETTER THAN AMAZING!
  19. Lateryn Augur

And I don't understand why anyone would choose to do classic/kunark/velious for 9 months for the x-th time.
    Yinla and Thalliius like this.
  20. Risiko Augur

I'm thinking that at this point the only way to get a true old school EQ server is to play on an server because the people at DBG have proven how out of touch they are with their player base with these rule sets. This is literally worse than Blizzard making the next Diablo game a mobile game.
    SweetLaxTho likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.