Clever / Ironic / Etc Names we might have missed~

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Denial_Sinfae, Jun 2, 2014.

1. gcubed Augur

I always though that the pirate, Dixl Drool, in Ocean of Tears was funny as hell.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Aahz New Member

Tunare = Nature
    Veeshan = Heavens
    Fennin Ro = Innferno
    Xegony = Oxygen
    Povar = Vapor
    Tarew = Water
    Rathe = Earth
    E'Ci = Ice

Also, there is a Necro poison dot spell with a Harry Potter twist: Slitheren Venom (Named after the house in Hogwarts of a similiar spelling.)
    Esero, Gyurika Godofwar, Sita and 2 others like this.
  3. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Named after Slitheren in Oceangreen Hills. Shaman also got Nectar of the Slitheren. The snake itself may have had wizardly inspiration, though...
  4. Mintalie Augur

Oh how clever. Thanks for this list--I would have never, ever figured this out on my own.
  5. Prathun Developer

Also...
    Trorsmang -> Armstrong
    Drinal -> Aldrin
    Rolfron -> Forlorn

Also also...
    "Thule Island, also called Morrell Island, is one of the southernmost of the South Sandwich Islands, part of the grouping known as Southern Thule. It is named, on account of its remote location, after the mythical land of Thule, said by ancient geographers to lie at the extreme end of the earth. The alternative name Morrell Island is after Benjamin Morrell, US explorer and whaling captain. Viewed by James Cook and his Resolution crew on 31 January 1775 in his attempt to find Terra Australis.[1]"
  6. Tornt New Member

Prathun! Long time no see :)
    PrathunSOE likes this.
  7. Mykaylla Augur

Particularly since Slitheren uses Stone Gaze, and the monster of Slytherin is a basilisk!
  8. Fendy Augur

The Skylyg
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=38160
  9. Tanecho Augur

Mithaniel Marr = Latrine Rim Ham, named such as he totally looks like a dude that would eat pork off a toilet seat

Erollisi Marr = Aim Sir Reroll, the matron saint of Rangers encourages all of them to play a better class
  10. Uxtalzon Augur

Holagato, "Hello kitty" during Anniversary task in Valley of King Xorbb. Female Vah Shir. lol

I wonder if Marcy from the same mission (drops a shroud) is a reference to Marcelline from Adventure Time?
  11. Rainbowdash Augur

99.99% of the zone (mobs, layout, quests, raids) Gorge of King Xorbb is a reference to Lord of The Rings. Many are obvious, some (like the fort looking eerily similar to The Black Gate) may not be.

Also half of the Slayer achievements are references to something, the other half are just clever wordplay.

Oh and let's not forget, The Vicious Rabbit loyalty pet clicky = Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
  12. Lilbadaz Journeyman

/sigh .. I couldn't think of a better name like mine ;)
  13. Iila Augur

Xorbb1 is called Guardians of the Gate.
    It's both a lotr homage (the mino is named Mordaur + black gate imagery) and they're gatekeepers to the other two Xorbb raids.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  14. Mitsune Elder

15. Vhivi Elder

In the same vein --

Qeynos = Sony EQ
  16. Black Soul Elder

What about Vhalen Nostrolo in South Karana? I always figured it was V(an)Halen but never figured out Nostrolo.
  17. Aamonn Journeyman

The Achievements have many references to metal songs/bands.
    Megadeath (the correct spelling unlike the band though)
    Dem Bones (Alice in Chains Song)
    Alaran in Chains (see above)

There are several more but I'm at work so can't check them out. I think there's an Iron Maiden reference or two among others. \m/
  18. Koryu Professional Roadkill

The collection achievements for CotF (Separate Ways, World's Apart, Look Into the Future) look like a Journey reference to me.
    Dzarn likes this.
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There is another "The Princess Bride reference found in The Buried Sea; Drowned Pirate Roberts.
    Lazy automation likes this.
  20. Marshall Maathers Augur

You can call me Alaran was my favorite
    Dzarn likes this.