Clever / Ironic / Etc Names we might have missed~

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Denial_Sinfae, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Uuvin Augur

Lord Soptyver. Lords Optivar ( Optivar eye drops?). as far as minotaurs, why not the simple idea that the original Minotaur in mythology was kept in the maze by Minos.
  2. Mithrandyr Augur

Faraday Stormrider was another EQ Paladin that passed away but was granted EQ immortality in Faraday Stormrider's Fiery Avenger http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=52829
    The statue in the original guild hall was a tribute to another person, I believe.
  3. Lily Augur

I love it! Thanks
  4. SaderakhBertox Augur

I'd like to think one or more of these names actually means something. Maybe some VIPs somewhere? I wasn't around prior to Rain of Fear so nothing would ring a bell. (Left when GoD / LoY came out)
    Dzarn likes this.
  5. Denial_Sinfae Augur

I thought it was for some LoN tourney champion?
  6. Smallpox Augur

"- New Statue in Guild Hall: As a part of SOE's EverQuest and EverQuest II Living Legacy celebration that took place this summer, SOE and the Legends of Norrath team searched for two enthusiastic players who have what it takes to be immortalized in their favorite MMOs! Everyone was invited to submit their photos for this special contest. Out of all the submissions, Khyandys Aramyndan of the Altruistic Valorians guild on the Erollisi Marr server was selected as the winner for EverQuest! Her photo was transformed to a Legends of Norrath card and a statue of her character was placed within the Guild Hall in EverQuest! Congratulations Khyandys!"

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...-update-notes-tuesday-october-21-2008.151534/
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Mithrandyr Augur

Getting old...the first thing to go is your memory, I guess.
  8. Brogett Augur

After much hunting I think these are from Eternal Darkness. Good spot on those first anagrams.

Preet Caboj = Peter Jacob
    Lapu Rethul = Paul Luther
    Nixiliam`Mal Vairos = Maximilian Roivas
    Sylendi Dewin = Edwin Lindsey
    Xeandraal Roivas = Alexandra Roivas
    Weard Vairos = Edward Roivas
    Opius Sagustu = Pious Augustus
    Naibich Bortero= Roberto Bianchi

e.g. http://eternaldarkness.wikia.com/wiki/Roberto_Bianchi
    Edrick, Dzarn and Iila like this.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There is of course the old Qeynos = SonyEQ
    Denial_Sinfae and Yinla like this.
  10. Caixaa Elder

11. lolly Elder

At the start of the zone with a name like "beasts zone" there are 4 npcs selling spells or Augs named from the British "top gear" program - named from Jeremy clarkeson, Richard Hammond , James May and "the stig" . If you hail the stig character then the Jeremy one introduces him In The same manner as on the show. Also the three main chars have mounts near them which compliment the real life personalities , Jeremy with the jag ( animal rather than the car) , James with the more traditional horse and young Richard with the more freaky robot spider thing.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Iila like this.
  12. Iila Augur

13. Edrick Augur

I'm stunned. Awesome game, one of a kind, and it got a reference in EQ. Nice.
  14. Schadenfreude Augur

Just about everything in Plane of Mischief.
    Sam Napth = Phantasm.
    Guardian Anex = Xena.
    Guardian Selucreh = Hercules.
    Leavor L`Eriat = Arterial Love.
    Merchant Tekrama = A Market.
    Felwithe = White Elf.
    Tolapumj = Jump A Lot.
    The "Nobody expects the Seru inquisition!" aggro message.
    The Fabulous Four around a campfire in Dagnor's Cauldron.
    Princess Lenya (long since gone I'm fairly sure) that used to wonder if you were a little short to be a High Keep Guard.
    Guard Wenbie = Newbie.
    Guard Kwint = Twink.
    Cubert the cube (from and the ancient coin-op).
    Sansa, Joffrey and Lady Shae (long before Game of Thrones). Lady Shae also had a comedy routine depending on which House you told her you were from.
    Dragoon Barber W'Selo in The Overthere that was almost impossible to outrun.
    Prince Thrineg who doesn't like selfish players.
    Scruffy the Rat. ("you should have heard him play the piano"). Bonus trivia: supposedly the first named in the entire game?
    Pain and Suffering the invisible slayer of mortally wounded players everywhere back in the day.
    Sita and Brogett like this.
  15. lolly Elder

In ethemere tainted west karana, at the spell camp, are some npcs named from people from the British TV program "QI"

I didn't know Americans (I assume programmers are Americans) watched uk TV

Names include "Allan tavies" ( Allan Davies)
    "Captain jupitus" ( Phil jupitus)
    "Daniella baker" ( Danny baker)
    " Saera Millican ". ( Sarah Millican)
    One based on Rob Brydon I forget
    Maybe others

Weird!
  16. Kolani Augur

A Game of Thrones came out in 1996, so it actually predates Everquest.

Of course, there's the NPCs everywhere named after players from betas or otherwise as well.
  17. Mykaylla Augur

There is at least one dev who is indeed a very big fan of QI. ;)
  18. Mykaylla Augur

High Priest Nkosi Bakari- Nkosi is a Xhosa titular word (African Bantu language, the 'X' is a click sound) meaning "Lord," "King" or "Chief." When used as "lord," it can mean god, as in the hymn that is now part of the South African anthem, "Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika" (Lord Bless Africa). Bakari is a Swahili word meaning "hope" or "promise."

Taelosia is Africa.

Which makes sense, really- I've always seen Kunark as Australia- even the plants want to kill you there, lots of reptiles and spiders...
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. Edrick Augur

When the reptiles in Australia form an empire that rivals an army of dragons, you may have reached the point where there is cause for concern.
    Ebonylight-Xegony likes this.
  20. Mykaylla Augur

Have you seen a goanna lately? They can be bipedal when they want.

[IMG]

Of course, they still have to watch out for shissar snakes...

[IMG]

And everyone should watch out for huge, heavily armoured reptilian creatures:

[IMG]

(Yes, that's an Australian saltwater crocodile going after a shark- it's not even a particularly large specimen)