Clever / Ironic / Etc Names we might have missed~

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Denial_Sinfae, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Diptera Augur

I suspect it IS a reference - to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Grape_Ape_Show , whose catchphrase is "Great Ape, Great Ape"
  2. Brogett Augur

3. Brogett Augur

On a bit of a tangent, but the Western Lowland Gorilla has the latin name of Gorilla gorilla gorilla. The one that was DNA sequenced was called Camilla. :)
  4. Denial_Sinfae Augur

This is a good one, thanks for sharing!
  5. Zarzac Augur

Good Thread.

I was a fan of: Timmi Fell Down the Well!

In reference to Timmy on the Lassie show and the joke about how well they could understand the dog.
  6. Zarzac Augur

LoL I remember that, but never caught the Two-tone / Tutone reference as well - nice.
  7. Axem the Great Journeyman

And of course who could forget the legendary Breezeboot's Frigid Gnasher - Item lore: Model 9000

A bow in velious with a knockback that ended up being so OP that they removed from the game. The name is a reference to the BFG 9000, a weapon from the Doom games and often ranked as one of the best weapons of all time in any video game (avoided linking the wiki for this due to language. I'm sure you can figure out what BFG stands for).

As a kid I always thought he said Grape Ape?
  8. Diptera Augur

He may well have done... it's been quite a few years since I watched it :)
  9. Diptera Augur

10. Therisa Elder

11. Marshall Maathers Augur

Anyone find any easter eggs from GoD mob names? :p
  12. Denial_Sinfae Augur

There was one posted already, from CC event iirc.
  13. Denial_Sinfae Augur

I wonder if there's any connection between the Anime "Bleach" and the TS Vendor in Tower of Rot?

The enemies that populate the show are "hollows", and one of the main protagonists is classified as a "quincy"....

Out of all of the two word pairings out there, putting Quincy and Hollow together seems like a nod to me.
  14. Stephen51 Augur

There's a merchant in COTF West Karana, Saera Millican. In the UK there is a Comedian called Sarah Millican. I think this is a co-incidence rather than a link, as I don't think shes well known in the US. Or is she?
  15. jeskola pheerie

I am still amazed when i see old school eq players referenced in game. Rombus the wizard in everfrost is Rombus from Povar Triton guild who was an old friend. Bentos aka Benton from the same guild has an item named after him.
  16. Obiziana Augur

17. Littlelegs Elder

also in Chelsith, Rikkey the Cricket is pretty close the the 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' character Rickety Cricket
    Esero and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  18. Lily Augur

My favorite is The Gorge of King Xxorb. This whole zone is filled with puns relating to eyeballs and all things round.
    King Xxorb = King's orb. The zone is also known as Beholder's maze (eye of the beholder), populated by Lord Sviir (sphere), Lord Syrkl (circle), and Lord Soptyver. This last I've never figured out, except maybe optic nerve? There's also mudmen (here's mud in your eye), and Runnyeye goblins. Runnyeye Citaldel is a connecting zone, and if you look at the entrance to it, there's a crude drawing of an eye above the door. Look at the eye, then look at the map. Even the zone is shaped like an eye.

Does anyone know the significance of the minotaurs?
  19. Denial_Sinfae Augur

When we lost a paladin many years ago on our server, Sony named a weapon after the char in BMK.

[IMG]

Now I am curious at the connection! I feel like the Lord Soptyver has to be something, but the minotaurs may just be something thrown in.
  20. Angahran Augur

was wondering if anyone would get the reference.
    He also talks about his watch.