Bans, Boxers, 3rd party programs, and EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cheyana, Apr 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have laid out actions that are legal and actions that are not legal and in general it seems to be pretty clear about what you can and can't do with software. The software that is allowed is because they have spelled out that what it does is legal.
    Nennius and Khat_Nip like this.
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

Thanks for repeating what I said for those that can't seem to understand what I am saying. :rolleyes:
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

TRUTH:
    -They have adequately defined the current position on 'cheating', in a much more concrete way than before. Much appreciated. It is quite plain and straight forward for any sensible person to understand. Any gray area is just a given for a business in this situation, no problem or criticism here at all.

My opinion:
    -Some people have taken to interpreting the rules themselves and calling people cheaters here.
    -Taking a stand like they did and where they drew the line says something beyond just 'tough on cheats'.

If you think the rules are well defined, they should speak for themselves, and need no white knighting or interpretation from little darlings.

Recent suspensions speak for themselves too. They should just ban warping one night, and tracking the next, and get some interesting metrics for their future anti-cheat endeavors.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You seem to be saying that they can ban you for 3rd party software doing actions that they have said is legal at a later date. There is no reason to think that they will ban anyone for parsing logs at any time in the future.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes humans can do this action and it is perfectly legal to assign multiple actions to a hotkey and spam it and has been legal since the game was launched.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I believe outside autofire programs linked to binds are banned as automation software. Some people have tried to encourage auto fire programs to activate keys as a gateway to legitimize more complex automation software.
  7. Raccoo Augur

I could change my multibind to different numkeys and smash them at the same time.
  8. Bernel Augur

I don't think that multibinds can be considered cheating since it has been an integral part of EQ for so long. The key options window even highlights the key in red if it's multibound. They already know the key is multibound. If EQ wanted to stop it, they could prohibit it very easily.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I think some have suggested using auto fire programs to activate the multi binds. (By legitimizing a singular process, they hope to legitimize complex processes). That's probably where they run into trouble.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What I see when most people talking about multibinds is having a single key fire off multiple things when pressed and it has nothing to do with any sort of program doing it for you.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

There are “good guys” and there are “bad guys.”

As we can see in this thread, the bad guys will corrupt the good/approved stuff to legitimize or blend bad/unapproved stuff.

Encouraging auto fire programs (even though multibinding by itself is approved) sets up the argument for approving more complex automation. “If I am getting away with auto fire and openly sharing it, why can’t I get away with the other program?”

I think they even compared auto fire programs to a water bird on a keyboard. You know their end game.
    Raccoo likes this.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No, you're so wrong it hurts to read.
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

My position to be perfectly clear.

-Don't change a thing in the game. (just fix the lag)
    -Don't witch hunt people on the forums, let DP handle what is cheating and what actions to take.
    -Don't try and represent people as trying to favor one type of cheating over another, when they favor NO CHEATING.
    -Don't try and vilify people for enjoying playing their own playstyle.
    -Don't cheat and you won't get suspended or banned.

That's all well and good. But this is the one that get's em crying.

-Don't accuse people of cheating when you are using your computer to press buttons faster than you can by yourself. (don't cast stones in other words)

If you could press the buttons that fast in the right order, you would never be using Multibinds in the first place.

Multibinds are only used to compensate your inability to click them that fast correctly on your own.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Still got a little chip on your shoulder?
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Multibinds are used because they are the most efficient way of doing things in the same order over and over gain. It isn't a matter of speed because people can move from key to key to spam them in a timely manner what they are saving is the task of having to move to a different key each time you want to do something.

If Daybreak thought it was cheating they could easily prevent players from binding multiple things to a single key.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Message for the day, week, month, and year

P.S. My snipping should not taken or construed as having been done for any reason other than for emphasis.
    Velisaris_MS and MasterMagnus like this.
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I say faster, you say more efficient.
    I say potato, blah blah blah.

You simply make my point once again.

'Daybreak' has left /system in, but people are on a witch hunt about it.

Plenty of things over the years have been talked about as an exploit, continued to be exploited, subsequently labeled an exploit by devs, and then people have been punished or only given a warning, and the exploit patched out of the game.

Don't cheat and you won't be suspended or banned.
    Don't accuse others of cheating, and then it doesn't matter what they think of your actions.
    But above all, don't start pressing separate buttons when your mind identifies an opportunity to think, make sure your parse is the best it can be. :rolleyes:
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

The only person I've ever seen talk about /system is YOU. You're kind of obsessive about it in fact.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yes we snip with ellipses ... around here.

Used correctly it can be to only address one issue.

Used badly it can be 'taken out of context', 'cherry picking', 'deflection' and more.

So just don't that. And laugh at those that do. ;)

This is how we roll at ForumQuest.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Go away son you bother me!

Oh I'm sorry, did you make a point and I missed it? You know there's a search function for that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.