Bans, Boxers, 3rd party programs, and EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cheyana, Apr 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sissruukk Rogue One

I get it, and I am not trying to justify anything but a solution to the state of the game at its current state.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Ah, yes. Here is the hook.

If I can't use my automation software, I'm going to take key broadcasting software down with it.
    Raccoo likes this.
  3. HowDidIEndUpBackHere Elder

I think a big part is the focus/mental capability. Time and physical restraints are real, I won't deny that, but boxing for a lot of people is a massive mental fatigue. Not only that, it takes a long time to really set up your crew with proper hotkeys/macros. It's basically like learning a new version of the game that is more demanding by n (number of boxes).
    Imforfreedom likes this.
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

No where did I imply that you aren't using common sense. Most people do. And, like many others that are arguing with me, you are implying that I am calling for a change in the rules to allow automation. As I just explained to Benito, I am calling for a change in game play so that such things are no longer needed. Many who box and/or automate are calling for the same thing, but your singular focus on the good vs. evil fight makes you scan past these posts. I have seen numerous posts on how things could be improved in the game to make boxing non-existent, and no one replies except for the purists who want to keep things as they always have been. But bring up boxing/botting, and everyone suddenly comes out of the woodwork and draws lines in the sand and plants flags on their hills.
    Imforfreedom likes this.
  5. Sissruukk Rogue One

Key broadcasters have been hit with suspensions recently as well. And if you didn't just focus on this part of my reply to you, you would understand that if the solo play was changed to be more solo-friendly, then even key broadcasting software would not be needed.
    Cheyana and Imforfreedom like this.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

My take:

-Everybody should get rid of any 3rd party software, including things that might seem allowed throughout history, but could change in an instant.
    -Log parsing can be done in-game the way it always was. /system notepad.exe logfile.txt and read it with your own human eyes.

Do I think this is way too extreme? YES

After seeing my posts be deleted, about how to read your /outputfile inventory file to quickly see how many bag slots you have open. And the recent Official cheating statement. It's looking like they are going to take a very hard line on this.

You can still do everything you did before using third party tools to do things that were FAIR, without the using third party tools

But I am no longer at liberty to discuss HOW you could do that.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

See the pattern here? You are constantly conflating and equivocating boxing and botting. You are linking the two even though they are logically distinct.

Same old pro-cheat tactic.
    Raccoo likes this.
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

Whatever dude. Ignore most of what I say, pick out what you want to support your line in the sand.
    Cheyana and MasterMagnus like this.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The nuclear option:

1. Link botting to gameplay design. This condition will never be satisfied because it is a major overhaul of the game. Even then, botting should be permitted because of the subjective difficulty of the game (moving the goalposts).

2. Link botting to boxing. If players who use ISB feel threatened, they will be forced to support my position on automation. We will might as well throw in the handicap argument to earn morality points.

Therefore, botting should be an acceptable form of gameplay because of implied threats and impossible asks. The playbook is so predictable.

Of course, botters "love the game and community" as long as it is possible to function as a cheater. They can't go to other games with tough rules and enforcement.
    Thancra and Raccoo like this.
  10. strongbus Augur

to those who are anti-automation in any way. what would you do if dpg decided to add it in to the game in some way. for example as i stated in this and other threads. add command that one could give to alt that turn them into mercs. for example they already have cleric merc for up to 120. what would be your answer if they just let me type a command of /merc in my cleric box and have it start acting like a cleric merc.
  11. uberkingkong Augur

Basically,
    If you afk and get kills/loot/forage/fish that's called exploiting the game.
    Wouldn't be surprised if someone afk and let there 120 merc get loot for them overnight, thats exploiting.
    Or you have something to keep you fishing overnight afk. exploiting.

If you use software to do things someone can't do too, I'd think you could get banned. There's way too many scenarios, so they have to keep it vague. Because if they give a list, well then, people just do things not on list but its not something they seen before and it gets added to list later, so better to just keep it vague.

Its good they get rid of those players because the people that actually spend time fishing can get the plat that the fish is worth. Rather than botter dumping 10000s of fish. breaking the bazaar this way, making fishing useless.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Was it over the top? Sure but so are claims that any third party software that is that they have said are allowed could get you banned in the future.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Were these posts suggesting people enable running system commands through shell scripts to read the files created with the output commands? Those types of commands are something they recommend not doing unless you know exactly what you are doing and honestly I am surprised that they are still in game. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't want people writing posts about that command when improper use could be bad for the user.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

As per my sig. Multibinds are doing something a human can't do (selecting an ability in a fraction of a second) and putting it all on one button. Simply 'mashing' that button is what many people do, it's allowed in the game, and it is not something a human can do.

So when they decide, yes, catching fish by repeating a key once per minute, is just burn the witch stuff, but 50 people in a dz wildly repeating a dozen abilities multiple times per second until one becomes available is allowed?

It is really quite detached from "what a human can do".
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is something a human can easily do because it just requires to change your key settings. If it wasn't allowed they wouldn't let you set multiple items to the same key.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I reported /system and other concerning commands long ago via the exploit report system.

THEY have decided to ALLOW them still.

My post contained nothing even remotely like a 'cheat'. But yeah, it's gone now.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They don't remove posts just for "cheats" and there are plenty of other reasons that they get removed. And suggesting people use that command when it is warned to be dangerous and could harm your system should be a warning sign.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

The argument I presented was in regard to the vagueness of that one line in DPG's official stance on cheating. It is an intentional vagueness, sort of a CYA disclaimer. They could ban all 3rd party software that is currently allowed using that one line. They won't do it though because they, for the most part, laid out what is currently considered cheating in the very next paragraph. They just left themselves a legal door open for whatever actions they decide to take in the future.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

That's why they need to develop their own in-house boxing software. That way, they can dictate, once and for all, what type of atuomation they're OK with and what they don't want players doing.

Then they no longer have to tread the minefield of what's allowed and what isn't...using OUR software to box is fine, using any OTHER software is a bannable offense. No more gray area.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I'm sorry, you are totally wrong again.

A human can not select among 5 or more abilities in the tiny fraction of a millisecond a computer can run through the list until it finds one available. AND this forces the server to do 5 things instead of just one, if you were triggering only the one ability that was actually available.

Multibinds are cheating, and they are a far bigger performance hit to the server, than a well timed macro that only fires one ability when it's ready on my bar.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.