Thank you ALLIES. I'm done.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Major Shenanigans, Sep 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proxystar #Perception

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  2. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

The allies? I think you're forgetting about artifacts my friend and time capsules. It kinda started with the TC's but those feats make up approx. 10% of the total feats in the game so meh...but still kinda P2W. Then artifacts came out and expanded that concept, but at least the artifacts opened up multiple play styles and more synergy among the group and added more variety. All and all I agree, their are less than a handful of useful passive out of all the passive on all the allies.

On a personal note, I believe that Cyborg and Oracle have the best passives. Oracle because she saves me from ever having to repair my gear and I often forget so every week or so of constantly running content on my toons my gear will all the sudden break and drop my CR. And Cyborg's passive is obvious in it's usefulness.
  3. Proxystar #Perception

It's quicker to walk up to a vendor and hit repair or use one of my thousand repair bots since I have everything else I can buy with fate tokens. :)
    • Like x 3
  4. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

The very first post in the thread complains about the price.

"Long time player (since 2011) here that was planning on coming back after 2 years & because of the recent game changes but NOPE
    Your greedy ally BS just made me realize that I was a fool to think that DCUO and its marketing team would ever get a clue. (Its easier to get a customer to spend $25 one dollar at a time than trying to sell one $25 dollar item) you guys should have learned you lesson with with TC's on where you customer base is.
    Have fun with your failed $100 allies. Lmao?"

And yes, I read every post. I treat your posts with great respect and do not take very well to sarcasm. I don't hit others with it and am asking you not to do that with me.

If I DO misspeak in a post, I have no issue with it being pointed out to me. Nobody is perfect. least of all me. I have done so in the past and will likely do so again.

But it is far more productive to spend the same energy pointing out the specific than by showing everyone how snarky you can be.

Having said THAT, I enjoy your posts and take on the game very much
  5. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

• Like x 4
  6. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Likewise, but when you say things like “people probably want daybreak to pay them” people aren’t going to take very well to that. Because either, you actually believe that in spite of the fact that nobody’s even implied it, or you were being sarcastic, which is also problematic for a couple of reasons. One of which is the possibility that you don’t even realise you’re doing it.
  7. valiant Villian Well-Known Player

My ally sticks around for about 3 seconds and does nothing helpful that I notice. So I don't even bother calling them in to be honest.
  8. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

"For those complaining about the monetization of this game , particularly where allies are concerned, I'd ask you to consider that:

The game itself is now COMPLETELY free. (yes including seals) For those with a Subscription.... that is meaningless.

You no longer have to pay to gain access to all content and gear. We already had that with our subscription.

You no longer have to to pay to gain access to all power sets We already had that with our subscription.

You no longer have an in game money cap, hence escrow bites the dust We already had that with our subscription.... notice a pattern??

You no longer need replays, except for the three most recent episodes We never needed replays. Heck I usually accumulate 1000s of them until I decide to unlock a whole bunch of styles.... and that has not changed.

This is a business and they have every right to charge whatever they think the market will bear for optional items. And for cash Allies are totally optional. The allies you can buy in game for SP are every bit as good as the for cash options. Yes... they have a right to charge as much as they can. And we have a right to say that they have gone too far this time.

Allies in general are hardly major boosts to either damage or passives. Nice to have but nothing major.

For cash allies are cosmetic. $75 for a cosmetic.... even I cannot defend that.

Not to be in any way rude but I sometimes think there are players who won't be satisfied until Digital Ink pays THEM. (and then they'll complain about not getting a 401K :p) No... not even close. I am more then happy to pay to support the game. But here... there is no way to defend this. But some still try it seems. ;)
    ”"

Fair enough, but you no longer NEED a subscription for any of that.
    • Like x 1
  9. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

You are correct. It was meant as a joke. My apologies. It was not meant as sarcasm.
    • Like x 1
  10. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

No worries, I’m sorry, too. Emotions are running high in here and I sometimes feel like people aren’t really paying attention to what I’m saying, so I saw red.
    • Like x 1
  11. Proxystar #Perception

You're creating a strawman, the subscription has nothing to do with it.

The subscription is simply at this point a monthly paid package of smaller microtransactions that is sensible to purchase simply based on it's overall economics.

The question at hand isn't even "should/could a person cancel their subscription" it's whether or not the costs of the legendary allies and associated materials is reasonable in the first place regardless of subscription of which is of no relevance.

It's fine if Daybreak want to monetize the game, no one is really quibbling about the "ethics" of their right to charge customers money, we are however entitled to say "yea that charge is unreasonable" as well as be concerned about apparent future balance issues stemming from the system in general.
    • Like x 2
  12. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Yes, you are completely within your rights to say that an item is over priced and not to purchase it.

I do respectfully disagree with your statement that no one quibbles about the ethics of their right to charge though. Threads are replete with claims that the game is a price gouging enterprise, though no one has said that in this particular thread.

My point, and perhaps I was less than clear about it, is that it seems to me that there is very little acknowledgement of how much of this game is free while that complaint is being made. There is a balance, and in the main IMO we get quite a bit of value with the option of paying nothing at all.

Also, I confess to not knowing the term "Strawman" . I have been seeing it, of late. Perhaps you can tell me what it means?
  13. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

I have a bunch of bots too, but now I don't need them. Also I'm lazy :D, so walking up to a vendor or popping a bot and hitting repair is just too much work so Oracle facilitates my laziness.
    • Like x 2
  14. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

A strawman simply is misrepresenting an argument by turning it into an argument that is easily defeated. Putting words into someone's mouth, discounting context that was given to you, etc. If at anytime someone can say "Thats not what I'm arguing" legitimately, the other person has committed a straw man fallacy.

I would argue that its worse than an ad hominem fallacy. Which is simply insulting someone inside of the argument.
  15. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Thanks!

I don't think I was doing that but my opinion isn't the only one here.
  16. Plowed In Loyal Player

Legendary alliance drops in game.
  17. Proxystar #Perception

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

The point really is, that, every company has a right to charge money for something, that's not really the question either. Just because they make other elements of it free doesn't earn the company brownie points nor does it act as a weapon against their players to justify "charging a higher than reasonable price for something else" simply because they chose to make other elements free.

You've created the "strawman" by saying "Look all these elements are free, and because we can also cancel membership and save even more money, that money we've saved can then be put towards paying a higher than reasonably priced ally and in fact should further, be happy you're not charged for other things, thus knocking down the strawman and giving the illusion you've defeated any complaint another person has about the pricing.

In reality you should be ignoring the free aspects of the game, ignoring the membership and asking yourself, is it reasonable to charge $25, period, per ally and on top of that is the pricing for the catalysts reasonable? are the drop rates reasonable, Is the extent to which these things need to be leveled reasonable for what they are? Remember you don't need to make the economic business case for Daybreak nor do you need to give them any economic charity because they gave you other aspects for the game free of charge.
    • Like x 1
  18. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

I'm not sure strawman is the best fallacy to use here. It's more of a non-sequitur argument than a straw man. You brought in something that on the surface appears might be relevant to the argument, but didn't have anything to do with the argument. The complaint was the cost of the allies inside of the current paradigm, you pointed to the already known fact that you don't need to subscribe anymore and could save money there to use. But it's truly not relevant to the ideas presented, because it doesn't change the price of the item.
    • Like x 3
  19. KidKretz Committed Player

i like the allies, the prices though, maybe a little steep for me personally.

the real kicker.....you can only have 2 passives, so who cares if they release 100 allies, if i am not getting any stats from them outside of 2, whats the point. i do think they will release more slots that cost money to unlock, so we can have more passive slots, but again, that will be another micro transaction that idk if i want to participate in, but i def see that coming down the line.

as a returning player little over a month ago, who played 8-12 hr sessions a month prior to the update as i worked on feats, flashpoint dailys, old content for styles, played a couple alts......since the update, i can say, its not that the stat clamp has made the game unplayable,its still doable, its just that it has made the game UNENJOYABLE for me.

so now, my 8-12 hr sessions has turned into a log in, collect the daily reward, log out and HOPE that i read something good in the hot fixes on here. i think what will get me to try again will be learning that they increased the stat clamps +10 more levels than it is now. maybe that will give me a more enjoyable time in the game.

i will say this, i am not responsible for the game staying alive for the last 10 years, i only bought a couple dlcs. if the stat clamp remains the way it is and there isnt a more powerful feel to my gameplay, i know i wont be one of the ones keeping the game alive another 10 years.

for now, i continue to wait for changes once again :) good luck to all of you!
  20. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Sometimes people forget this all started with a pack of soder colas in the marketplace lol.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.